Swimming pools on cruise ship?

CRUISING71

Hello,

My daughter asked me this question and I don't know the answer to her questions. Can you help?

She wants to know why all the pools on the ship are salt water? Are the water coming directly from the ocean?

Thank you,

Let her know that the pools are emptied every night -- refilled every morning -- so that reduces chemicals that they don't want to end up in the ocean --- and that modern ships actually produce their own fresh water using a desalination process -- very expensive and time consuming -- filling the pools with that water would be rather wasteful.

Let her know that the pools are emptied every night -- refilled every morning -- so that reduces chemicals that they don't want to end up in the ocean ---

If they are emptied every and refilled every day, doesnt that create more chemicals being released in the ocean?

And Royal Caribbean's Freedom class ships use fresh water in thier pools.

Funny what a little google will do:

http://shop.solardirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=290

The Pool Pilot is so rugged and effective it was chosen exclusively

to serve as Carnival Cruise Line's onboard pool purifier system!

Designed to operate under the most demanding 24/7 high-volume

use, the Pool Pilot units easily stand up to use with pure sea water!

WATER QUALITY

A Pool Pilot system will

eliminate the discomfort

and inconvenience of

harsh chemical reactions

like red eyes, green hair,

irritated skin or faded

swimwear. Pool water will

retain constant low-levels

of ph-balanced chlorine

that purifies the water

while making it soft and

silky to the touch.

Many home swimming pools use salt instead of chlorine today.

That is true. Although the systems I am familiar with use the salt to produce chlorine via chemical reaction. And these home salt pools are closer in saline content to contact lens solution - pretty mild. On a ship, it will vary since salt content is different around the world.

That is true. Although the systems I am familiar with use the salt to produce chlorine via chemical reaction. And these home salt pools are closer in saline content to contact lens solution - pretty mild. On a ship, it will vary since salt content is different around the world.

This is correct........

Would it be safe to assume there are fresh water showers next to the pools to rinse off. I don't mind swimming in salt water, it's the residue after that bothers me. If I can rinse off quickly, no problem.

Yes, a shower is available next to the pool for just this purpose.

The systems don't "produce" chlorine as the chlorine is already present in the salt. The system ionizes some of the chlorine in the salt making it available to sanitize the pool.

Gotcha. The "pool guy" explained this to me and I must have misunderstood. Chemistry wasn't my favorite subject. Salt is NaCl (Sodium Chloride) - so if you take out the salt (Na), all you are left with is the Chloride (Cl). Now if I had only remembered that for my 10th grade final exam. :)

Gotcha. The "pool guy" explained this to me and I must have misunderstood. Chemistry wasn't my favorite subject. Salt is NaCl (Sodium Chloride) - so if you take out the salt (Na), all you are left with is the Chloride (Cl). Now if I had only remembered that for my 10th grade final exam. :)

LOL! That and the instructions on our salt water chlorinator clearly states........if my salt level is too low the unit will not produce chlorine:p

The systems don't "produce" chlorine as the chlorine is already present in the salt. The system ionizes some of the chlorine in the salt making it available to sanitize the pool.

Thank you for the science lesson - I knew it was something like that but wasn't exactly sure how it worked. I just know that with this type of system the water is not really strong with chlorine:) which works best for me as I am very sensitive to chlorine odors.

Hello,

My daughter asked me this question and I don't know the answer to her questions. Can you help?

She wants to know why all the pools on the ship are salt water? Are the water coming directly from the ocean?

Thank you,

The water is sea water, pumped directly from the ocean. It is neither filtered, not treated with any chemicals. It is replaced on a constant basis, and is really fun to swim in. In the event any accidents occur (including glass being broken) the pools are drained and refilled in a short time.

There is no need to filter the water because the ocean where it is pumped from is very clean with no debris or salt.

Pools are sometimes refilled at night but not every night.

The water is sea water, pumped directly from the ocean. It is neither filtered, not treated with any chemicals. It is replaced on a constant basis, and is really fun to swim in. In the event any accidents occur (including glass being broken) the pools are drained and refilled in a short time.

There is no need to filter the water because the ocean where it is pumped from is very clean with no debris or salt.

Pools are sometimes refilled at night but not every night.

Funny how some people post (esp with some "authority")with reading the entire thread!:confused:

Archived