Formal nights on Golden Princess Alaska cruise

rrgreennc

I know there are always lots of discussions whether it is really necessary to dress formal on formal nights. This is not intended to be one of those. I am simply looking to learn about your past experience.

When we cruised on Royal Carribean to Alaska a couple of years ago, we read beforehand that the dress code is much more relaxed on Alaska cruises than other itineraries (at least on Royal Caribbbean ships). We found this to be true in our own experience. There were actually nights where the dress was completely casual and jeans were acceptable. On formal nights, we found that very few people dressed up, and there were almost no tuxes.

For people that haved cruise on Princess to Alaska, what is your experience with dress code for dinner? I don't mind dressing up for formal nights; I actually enjoy it once in a while. However, if the typical dress on formal nights is more like coat/tie, I would rather not bother packing the tux.

We will be there in May. We will be taking formal wear..... my DH, his tux and myself all the bling. We have a long way to come too... from Australia. We don't mind using some of our luggage allocation for this purpose as we think dressing formal on formal nights is part of the "speciallness" of cruising and we would hate for that to end.

To myself & my wife we no longer look at the formal nights as "special" but just as a night where they offer a better meal so we just dress nicely (but not formal) and have been doing so for years on Princess. Don't let that stop you from going all out in dressing if you prefer, but it's definitely not something that is required as it once was years ago to gain entrance into the main dining room.

As soon as they begin to have the same meals in the buffet as in the main DR we'll be happy to skip the DR altogether but until then......

We were on the Golden last summer in Alaska. On formal night we saw just about everything. I wore my tux because I wanted to. On the other end of the scale were nice tropical shirts and pressed dockers. There are always a few who like to call attention to themselves in clothing that would be inappropriate at any meal, but most of the hard core casual folks just went to other dining venues. If you want to hit the "average" a good quality coat and tie will not draw any negative attention. But my suggestion would be to pack what says "formal dinner" to you (as long as it's not a dirty ballcap - but that's another story from a different ship).

Coat and tie were the norm for the "formal" nights, some would come in tuxs some in slacks and a shirt. I don't know why people say less formal, maybe I don't pay enough attention seemed equally elegant comapred to Europe or Caribbean IMHO.

On the other nights nice shirt and jeans would get you in :D

I know there are always lots of discussions whether it is really necessary to dress formal on formal nights. This is not intended to be one of those. I am simply looking to learn about your past experience.

When we cruised on Royal Carribean to Alaska a couple of years ago, we read beforehand that the dress code is much more relaxed on Alaska cruises than other itineraries (at least on Royal Caribbbean ships). We found this to be true in our own experience. There were actually nights where the dress was completely casual and jeans were acceptable. On formal nights, we found that very few people dressed up, and there were almost no tuxes.

For people that haved cruise on Princess to Alaska, what is your experience with dress code for dinner? I don't mind dressing up for formal nights; I actually enjoy it once in a while. However, if the typical dress on formal nights is more like coat/tie, I would rather not bother packing the tux.

Yes, Alaska is considered more of a "wild" experience, however, the dress codes are fairly honored. We were on the Golden to Alaska in '09 and what the previuos posters is accurate.

The Golden is a beautiful ship. Enjoy!

Archived