This is not a joke!

Les Picantins

Now the smoking has been sorted we need to move onto the quality of the Champagne :D - such first world problems we are all suffering from!

+1 The NF is not the greatest.

My champagne is Tattinger. I learned from a Brit that the posh Brits all have their "own" champagne. After much research, I have settled on Tattinger :-)

A second for Pol Roger, although I wouldn't turn my nose up at Bollinger or Tattinger either.

I'd also add Laurent-Perrier to that list.

A guy I know says "friends don't let friends drink Veuve Cliquot" but it d even take the Veuve over NF.

Edited by jenidallas

So I'll sum it up, 1 star rating, titled "avoid at all costs" by a poster with zero forum posts and 3 reviews who is an "elite" Princess and RCCL cruiser. I would have thought they would have known better as an "elite" cruiser or at least have Indicated at the end of their review that it was tongue in cheek and they had a fantastic Seabourn cruise and would do so again.

Also many new cruise line passengers use CC to evaluate lines and ships, for those that have experience in the line the rating is less valuable as they have direct experience. That is not to neseaarily the case for the former.

Correct. Reviews here and elsewhere online help me, and others, make decisions for doing a first cruise with a line (it is on CC that I learned about Hapag Lloyd, and Seabourn, and am happy I did). I do not have enough time or energy to blindly try each cruise line for a first cruise without advance research to give me some idea what is and is not important to me and DH. My/our decision to return is based on our own experiences.

As someone who has tried to contribute to CC by writing multiple cruise reviews about different lines, trying as best I could to be objective and fair in my ratings, I was annoyed when I saw the 1-star rating recently, and yet where content indicated the person really liked the cruise. He/she was trying to be super clever and cute and stylish in posting this way, thus being unfair to the overall rating of the line which can be very important to first-cruisers on SB. Even though you can ignore outlier reviews, just like on yelp or other review sites, it does hurt the overall rating.

Good heavens! Clearly that review was written entirely in irony. It would seem that discerning readers would have recognized that and not been dissuaded from considering SB because of the title and 1-star rating.

As for the "unfair" effect of the 1-star rating on the overall rating of the line, are we not perhaps becoming a bit too obsessed with such metrics, not to mention becoming a bit too convinced that ratings on this particular website will make an enormous difference to the bottom line of a cruise line?

Good heavens! Clearly that review was written entirely in irony. It would seem that discerning readers would have recognized that and not been dissuaded from considering SB because of the title and 1-star rating.

As for the "unfair" effect of the 1-star rating on the overall rating of the line, are we not perhaps becoming a bit too obsessed with such metrics, not to mention becoming a bit too convinced that ratings on this particular website will make an enormous difference to the bottom line of a cruise line?

As I am obviously not as discerning a reader as yourself. Next time I read something and am not sure if there is irony or sarcasm involved I will post it on this board. I am sure that yourself and other more discerning readers will be able to clarify my error and help me out.

Have a nice day.

Julie

This thread seems to me to be further evidence, if indeed any more were needed, that some people from certain parts of the english-speaking world just don't 'get' irony.

When I read this review, after the third paragraph, I did get the irony. However when there was no closing statement stating that it was all in fun and with the evidence of the one star, I began to doubt that this was a joke.

After all, certain politicians can make statements that are so off the wall, I sometimes wonder if they are being serious or not :D.

Bit of an Ab Fab fan are you Emperor Norton? Nice glass of Bollie would certainly be preferable to the NF. Wouldn't turn my nose up at the Tattinger either, DUHCAR :D

Nope. It was from the drivers seat. Of an Aston Martin DB5 that I first saw Bollinger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...