Seabourn Encore - Laundry Package?

As others have mentioned on this board in the past, it's amazing what you can fit in the laundry bag for your $50.

I manage to push in 7 days (7 of each) of socks, underwear and shirts, plus sleepwear, plus a couple of pairs of slacks, plus my wife's sleepwear.

It's just like stuffing a down sleeping bag into its sack.

I did once work out what the cost would be on an individual item basis, came to about $50, so if you have to pay for the bag (I dont) you could probably send off individual items.😜

Although, insult to injury since there is as yet no guest laundry, Encore managed to lose ours on our Sydney to SIngapore cruise. I started to get a bit antsy after three days, although I knew it couldn't have disappeared off the ship. It materialized on day 4, but that's really not acceptable especially as you don't have an alternative and we pack light. There was no explanation or apology, but at least we weren't charged for it. So that's one way to get low-cost laundry.

Such a crazy oversight that laundry was not considered in planning for Encore. I still find it fascinating that the mass market lines such as Carnival don't have laundry facilities, but the higher end luxury lines almost all have self-service laundry rooms as passengers expect these facilities. One would think that passengers who cruise on high end lines would prefer to be pampered and not do our own laundry, but I think just the opposite is true - especially on longer voyages. My wife and I like to always have clean clothes and are doing loads every few days. I guess it is a OCD of sorts. Haha. Anyway, not a deal breaker but strange nonetheless and I've probably wasted too much time commenting on this little new world problem. :halo:

• 2 weeks later...

We talked to Seabourn a couple days ago about an upcoming trip on Encore. The agent said they had just received a communication about the laundry and the scheduled completion was some time in 2018. This date primarily due to plumbing and venting that had to occur. My takeaway was not much hope that it will happen soon, or this year.

We talked to Seabourn a couple days ago about an upcoming trip on Encore. The agent said they had just received a communication about the laundry and the scheduled completion was some time in 2018. This date primarily due to plumbing and venting that had to occur. My takeaway was not much hope that it will happen soon, or this year.

Gosh that seems odd, if the washing machines are already delivered to the ship. Perhaps there was a special on washing machines and Seabourn grabbed the chance to save a few $'s! (ha ha!)

I wondered about the plumbing etc but that seems like they could build a ship in that time. I am happy with the ironing boards now being available (for "touch up" ironing).

My understanding is that the new Scenic Eclipse just had its keel laying ceremony recently and that is supposed to be sailing in August next year, so installing some plumbing on the Encore surely won't take until next year!!!

I'm just the messenger....

However, there is likely more to this than piping. There has to be some engineering involved for the modification. I have not been on this boat yet but I doubt there was space allocated for a laundry. So room(s) would have to be identified, allocated, and retrofitted for a laundry, electrical/plumbing systems installed, perhaps modifications to water/sewage/power systems, etc all while the boat is in service with passengers. Big difference between doing this to a ship while under construction in a boatyard and doing it while the boat is sailing with paying customers.

Edited by wire

It does seem a shame that it looks as if SB chose the wrong designer for their new ships; I believe his ideas probably work well for hotels, but are obviously not suited to a small cruise ship. Ditto maybe for TK - he has (probably understandably in view of his apparent fame and Michelin stars) insisted on special cooking facilities, ingredients which are no doubt hard to get while at sea, and not allowing the deck outside his restaurant to be used for his dinners.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Ovation.

'....not allowing the deck outside his restaurant to be used for his dinners.'

I've seen several comments on TA stating TK will not allow his dishes to be served outside. I would like to know if this TK policy applies to all restaurants or just the grill. I have had TK dishes on the Colonnade deck on several occasions.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...