Grand Circle river cruise down the Rhine and Mosel in Germany/Switzerland

powerlifter

Hello.

My husband and I are taking our first river cruise for 21 days in June/July of this year (2017). I would appreciate suggestions on the following:

1. How much cash to carry on trip (for tipping, etc)

2. How much cash to exchange for Euros before we go

3. What to pack, i.e. how many of pants, shirts, etc. - we don't want to overpack. It will be in the 60's during day and cooler at night.

4. For those of you that have taken this trip can we have suggestions of names of stores/restaurants you recommend.

5. Please provide any other information that we could use.

Thank you.

This is a really nice long itinerary and a little unusual in that it will take you to Bonn rather than Cologne. In Brussels try and get some Belgian chocolate. Bonn is famous as the birthplace of Beethoven, of course. Not sure where the guided tour will take you but I would try and have a stroll through the park behind the Schloss / university. Bonn is nice for shopping, with a lovely food market. I recommend getting some bakery stuff.

Boppard is great for Roman antiquities and for going up to "Vierseenblick" where the Rhine's loops look like four lakes. While Marksburg castle is great, it can be very strenuous, especially in hot temperatures.

In your post you mention the temperature: 60's. It struck me a bit as being wrong till I realized those are averages. In reality on hot days in June and July temperatures can easily rise to 80 in the afternoon. But rainy days might indeed be only 65 to 70.

Have a look round the last two or threes pages on cruisecritic for answers to questions 1. und 2. but I am sure others will be happy to comment.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the Moselle landscape: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480

Read the stickies on top of the page for some great advice.

Ships can raft, that means you might be second in row, having to walk across another ship to get to land.

River cruising can be relaxing or strenuous, depending on how much activity you pack into the day. You do not have to do every excursion and can just relax on the ship if you like. Take some small binoculars. Eat sausages in Germany and Flammkuchen (tarte flamb?e) in Alsace.

Enjoy!

notamermaid

After a quick look at your itinerary, it looks like you might have some free time in Trier. If you have any interest in history, I highly recommend visiting the Landesmuseum. They have really a great collection of Roman artifacts, including the massive hoard of over 2,500 Roman gold coins discovered in 1993.

http://www.landesmuseum-trier.de/en/home.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier_Gold_Hoard

Second the museum recommendation in Trier. We were there in September 2015. Great exhibits!

And the Flammkuchen... Not fair. It's almost lunchtime and I can't get that anywhere in Albany... :(

On the Grand Circle website, gct.com, there is a forum where you can ask questions too. I didn't look at your itinerary but I've cruised the Rhine with GCT and am surprised you aren't going to Cologne.

As to clothes, you'll want to do layers that you can add and subtract, and a few pairs of pants with more tops. Have a great time!

Hi PL,

If you get about $150 worth of Euro from the airport before you leave, you will have enough to get you through the first day until you can find an ATM.

ATMs are the least expensive way to get foreign currency.

Getting $150 at the airport will cost you about $9 xtra.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

This was our favorite GCT itinerary.

As far as cash, you will need a fair amount as you need cash for the tips for the ship's crew and for your program director (PD). Your trip handbook will list the suggested amounts. We tip in dollars and take the money with us. Assuming you have GCT transfers to the ship, you don't really need euros ahead of time.

If you have a layover in an airport in a euro country, you can get some euros at an ATM there. You can also get euros at an ATM in the Brussels airport. Otherwise you can wait until after you board the ship in Antwerp. The PD can direct you to a bank near where they dock in Antwerp.

Some things we enjoyed on this itinerary. To maximize sightseeing time, we did not always return to the ship for lunch.

Antwerp - the Red Star Line museum. Focuses on emigration from Central Europe to the US.

Bonn - if you are interested in WWII history, take the train to Remagen and visit the Peace Museum at "The Bridge."

Boppard - go up to Vierseenblick.

Trier - in addition to the Landesmuseum, visit the Roman coliseum and baths.

Strasbourg - have a flammenkuche/tarte flamb? for lunch and wander around Petit France. As you will have a day transit pass, consider taking a tram out of the center of town just to see what's there

Definitely take the optional excursion to Luxembourg.

• 2 months later...

We just booked this same river cruise for September & I'm here looking for the same info as you have asked :). Have you decided on your packing yet? Hope you will post updates when you return! This will be our first river cruise and hopefully we will love it!