Ira does Paris --> Budapest on Avalon

I_r_a

Monday 05/22

Sorry for the long delay.

Just been through a really, really bad week.

LW gets sick on Monday. I'm sick on Tues. All we can do is look forward to getting on the plane Thurs and going home.

Thurs, KLM tells me that our flight has been postponed to Friday.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH.

The folks at the Residence Baron were very helpful and supportive.

More to come.

Ira

So sorry your trip had to end this way, looking forward to the flight home isn't the way I am sure you wanted it to end. It's nice to hear that you found some helpful and caring people to assist you. I hope you managed to get some enjoyment to remember your cruise.

Hi D,

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

We have decide to just forget everything after getting off the ship in Budapest.

That way we can visit Budapest again, and we will end on an upper note.

Ira

Sunday, May 14

The morning’s guided tour ov Vienna was quite pleasant.

Prior to loading on to buses we self-selected Group Green, Group Yellow, Group Red and Group White (Gentle Walkers) – slow.

Groups G, Y and R did the same tour, but by slightly different routes. We slow walkers just took our time.

Our guide was a cheerful young woman, who kept good track of us. She was also able to find me a pharmacy that was open on Sunday. At the pharmacy I purchased one bottle of an organic elixir brewed from Icelandic Moss and one box of tablets.

The moss helped me. It did not help my Lady Wife.

Our city tour took in the Hofburg, the Stefanplatz, the plague monument and various other items well calculated to set the casual visitor’s heart racing, along with an hour or so to ourselves, eg, a group of 8 went off to Figlmüller for some world-famous schnitzel, while another good size group headed for the Hotel Sacher.

One thing I discovered that the casual tourist is not likely to notice, was the original stand of urinals patented in 1883 by Wilhelm Beetz in the public toilets of the Augustiner Platz – 0.5 Euro, but very clean.

This evening’s dinner ended with another gala march of the Baked Alaska. It’s fun in a kitchy way, I guess.

Tomorrow we arrive in BudaPest.

Ira

Miscellaneous thoughts:

Notes and thoughts:

Our cabin, 214, was on the port side of the Sapphire deck. Very nice. However, we were plagued by the smell of diesel fumes.

I finally got peeved enough to ask about it.

Some of the smell comes from other vessels on the river. No solution to that. However, much of the smell comes from the diesel engine that powers the bow thrusters. It exhausts into the river on the port bow.

Only solution is to get a cabin on the starboard side.

More to come.

Ira

590470029_IMGhotelParis.jpg.2f89a75168f15b10d958312f67d8c585.jpg

493392610_IMG_GarnierParis.jpg.a0bec5711c5e503f009aa2a20d44495c.jpg

1230446457_IMG_LesGradCapucines.jpg.4d644a45f468e757414ac4e10e885904.jpg

1239985492_IMG_BoardingTheVisionary.jpg.9b7fdc827aeca81e3439eae6f7117c1a.jpg

Edited by I_r_a
Signature

I am so sorry that you and your wife are sick. Hopefully your ears are not infected as it can be quite painful to fly with a head cold and if your ears are stuffed, there is the unfortunate possibility of a ruptured ear drum. I had a friend who had that happen to her and she said it was horribly painful. If your ears are clogged, it might be better to stay where you are until you are both better if there is nothing pressing back home.

Thanks for your concern, ST.

We are home, under a doctor's care and nearly well again.

Ira

Ira,

I'm so glad you are nearly well. I'm so sorry you two got sick on your vacation. I really enjoy the way you write and hope you will write more about your future trips!