New to Seabourn - Question

InTheWASide

Hi all,

I have an opportunity later this month to do a (very) brief sampler cruise on Seabourn. I'm a travel agent so I'm generally familiar with the product but wanted to possibly get some inside tips. The ship will be Seabourn Sojourn.

While I have no way of knowing what menus and such may be available for the evening, what are your favorite dishes that appear in the Restaurant and Restaurant 2 (won't be Thomas Keller's restaurant yet) menus that I should keep an eye on and make sure I don't miss out on.

Also, any specialty drinks that are a must have or surprise inclusions on the beverage selections? (sometimes most selections could be expected but there's one or two that you might see and think "wow, that's on there too?"). That sort of thing.

Also if there's anything else that is a must see/must do, whimsical art around the ship or anything else to share with a newbie to the brand.

I appreciate the feedback.

I'm not really a 'foodie' so hard to answer your question on favourite dishes. Suffice to say that I am more than happy with a properly cooked steak or rack of lamb. As such, R2 is not really my thing. I do enjoy, however, the hot souffles they prepare for desert.

Sometimes the Colonnade does themed nights which can be very good. One time they did an Indian market which was the best Indian food I have ever eaten (and I know my curries).

As to drinks, Seabourn will often bring a cocktail 'de jour' around the pool deck which can be interesting. They have also tried to go more up-market with cocktails in the evening. If you like that kind of thing then I can recommend the Observation Lounge of an evening. For myself, I like a Kir Royal or single malt before dinner and a Remy Martin after dinner. As with food, I am not all that sophisticated in my tastes.

An iconic Seabourn activity is Trivia and I would recommend getting on a team and getting involved. It is also a great way of meeting people. For us, one of the great joys of Seabourn is interacting with others. So we will often share a table at dinner so that we can meet people. The Observation Lounge is probably my favourite bar and you usually have a good crowd in there in the evening.

Hope this helps.

We love sitting outside to eat at the Colonnade and the Patio Grill (great lamb chops!) Our other favourite spots are the Sky Bar and the Observation Bar (the latter does a very nice afternoon tea). Both the Observation Bar and the Sky Bar are great places to view the sail in and out of ports. Its also pleasant sitting on the deck outside Seabourn Square - so lots for you to choose from!

Our favorite R2 meal by far is called their 'Signature'. It features caviar, foie gras, white plum tomato cappuccino, blood orange sorbet, lobster, chateaubriand and a chocolate ganache cake for dessert. All in small plate sizes and so good. Head to Seabourn Square when you board and ask them for the R2 menus for the week.

Cocktail tastes are very subjective but for the last year both the Club and Observation Bar have had new cocktail menus with detailed descriptions of the specialty cocktails they offer. Have fun!

We love sitting outside to eat at the Colonnade and the Patio Grill (great lamb chops!) Our other favourite spots are the Sky Bar and the Observation Bar (the latter does a very nice afternoon tea). Both the Observation Bar and the Sky Bar are great places to view the sail in and out of ports. Its also pleasant sitting on the deck outside Seabourn Square - so lots for you to choose from!

Agree with everything you have said. Except I cannot comment on the Sky Bar, I have never been to the Sky Bar, not because I don't want to but I have had no need to. This is what I like, to me there are enough different areas to partake.

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming!

Just curious since you are in Seattle. Is your very brief cruise between Seattle and Vancouver? The Sojourn ends its trans-Pacific in Seattle and repositions to Vancouver for the first Alaska cruise.

Just curious since you are in Seattle. Is your very brief cruise between Seattle and Vancouver? The Sojourn ends its trans-Pacific in Seattle and repositions to Vancouver for the first Alaska cruise.

I am indeed. Really excited to see the ship. They caught my eye with their design when Odyssey came out. It will also be, by a lot, the smallest ship I've ever been on so we're using this as a non-scientific "would I be able to handle the size of the ship on a river cruise" test.

I am indeed. Really excited to see the ship. They caught my eye with their design when Odyssey came out. It will also be, by a lot, the smallest ship I've ever been on so we're using this as a non-scientific "would I be able to handle the size of the ship on a river cruise" test.

It is much larger than the river cruise boats, but much smaller than the mega cruise boats. Watch out, you could become addicted.

SInce you will only be a couple of nights on board, try both the Restaurant and R2. We will wave at you from the PanPacific as you pull into Vancouver. :D

I agree w/ Roxburgh regarding the Indian Market, it totally exceeded my expectations and also with MWillow regarding the Signature menu - we only dine at R2 if it is the signature menu. We often head to the Sky Bar around 5 for a drink or two before getting ready for the evening if the weather is good. I always advise first timers to try all the venues as everyone has different tastes.

Given that this is a very quick FAM cruise, my strategy would be this... lunch in the Colonnade, dinner in the Restaurant. (With R2 left on only one ship and soon vanishing there, you won't get an experience that your future guests will replicate.) Enjoy sail away from the pool deck and the cocktails from the Sky Bar on 9 right above it. Check out both The Club and The Observation Bar for pre/post dinner drinks (we often listen to the piano before dinner, catch a show in the Grand Salon after, then listen to the band late in The Club). Be sure to check out the signature cocktail menus which are different in each venue. In the morning grab a latte and pastry and spend a few minutes relaxing in Seabourn Square before you leave the ship.

Wave at me as you disembark. We board on June 1 in Vancouver!