Special Interest Cruises on Avalon?

polabear

Hello!

I tried searching the forum on this topic, but failed to find much. But, if there is a thread, please point me in that direction. :D

My husband and I are looking at a 2018 spring time river cruise on the Danube. My husband's first instinct was to go with Viking, in part because his aunt just returned from one of their cruises on the Danube cruise where they had a lovely time.

On the other hand, I found a cruise for beer enthusiasts on Avalon that looks interesting. The cost with the current discount is about the same price as we were quoted for viking by a local travel agent. She also said that she had just done a wine tour with them, and wasn't particularly impressed.

Has anyone done of those their special interest tours? I believe the beer one is new this year, but the wine one has been around for a bit.

Here is an article comparing Viking to Avalon:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2384

People who go on Avalon cruises rave about how great they are - read the reviews here on Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=554127

They especially like the cabins and food. The bathrooms are apparently larger than on Viking ships.

I also like the fact that Avalon has bikes onboard that you can borrow in port. I think you would probably really enjoy the beer cruise. There is a reviewer who went on a opera cruise although they don't care for opera and said it was great! So, since you like beer, my expectation is that you will indeed enjoy the Avalon beer cruise.

Thanks for the feedback! The cruise is a splurge to reward my husband for living without me for two years while I live in Germany. :) He still has his heart set on Viking - I think I accidentally scared him off Avalon by sending him the info for one of the active cruises first. Either way, I'm sure it'll be great.

There are reviews of Avalon Beer cruises - here's one (not very detailed - but positive :-) http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=571684

While I freely admit I'm not ready to be a gung ho river cruiser at this point in my life, I found Avalon to do everything right - I had no complaints at all about the food, the drinks, the cabin, or even our fellow passengers (other than the ones to whom I'm related ;p)

Thanks! My husband selected the Danube Waltz in spring of next year on Viking Legend. It's an older boat, but that means the rooms are a little bigger and will have slightly fewer passengers. I'm sure I can find plenty of local beer in the afternoons. :)

That sounds good polabear. I prefer the older Viking boat design. You can always try a local supermarket for local beer, a well-stocked market always has some local ones. Just ask around and I am sure the CD has some tips as well. "Regionales Bier" would be a German term to use. I think you can bring it onboard and deposit it in the cabin fridge.

Now onto the planning of what to do in the region and what to pack in your suitcase. :D Have fun.

notamermaid