What the heck is a medallion?

Bently57

They aren't even using the sticker on cruise cards anymore.

Poop. Went to the store for my wife and it's too late to edit my post so...

I "heard" that the reason they stopped using the stickers was because they only had 3 colors of them and people started counterfeiting the stickers. Whether that is true or not I can't say but it really wouldn't surprise me. When it comes to scamming thousands of dollars worth of merchandise people will get pretty ingenious pretty quickly.

The information contained in your Cruise Personalizer (dining assignment, excursions booked, Specialty Dining reservations, spa reservations, etc.) will all map over to your Medallion experience and will be accessible on your tv, your Compass and on the touch screens placed throughout the ship.

Cruise personalizer does not (usually) have correct time for traditional dining, the name of the dining room, or the assigned table number.

Where does the sticker go on the medallion for the beverage package?

Medallion basically just has a reference number that the ship's computers use to access information about you.

One of those pieces of information is whether or not you have the beverage package. If you do, the waiter will know it when you present your medallion and he/she checks your information on his/her digital device.

While this is a valid point the people to whom you are referring are highly unlikely to be checking their cruise card for muster location during an emergency.

Again, all the cruise card has is a letter indicating which muster station, not the physical location such as Crown Grill.

I doubt any passenger can look at the cruise card and relate the letter (A,B,C,D,E, etc.) to a specific location on the ship.

If the passenger does not remember where his/her muster drill was held, a crew member directing passengers in an emergency can tell the a passenger which location to go to.

Cruise personalizer does not (usually) have correct time for traditional dining, the name of the dining room, or the assigned table number.

It contains your dining assignment (Traditional Early, Traditional Late, Anytime). Final and definitive times are learned upon boarding. This information will map over to the Medallion as will dining room and table. There is no reason whatsoever to think that the Medallion system will contain less information than the cruise card.

Poop. Went to the store for my wife and it's too late to edit my post so...

I "heard" that the reason they stopped using the stickers was because they only had 3 colors of them and people started counterfeiting the stickers. Whether that is true or not I can't say but it really wouldn't surprise me. When it comes to scamming thousands of dollars worth of merchandise people will get pretty ingenious pretty quickly.

Thanks Thrak

Since when? Still had a sticker in December.

I am only reporting what I have read several times here on CC. (I spend waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on these boards.)

It contains your dining assignment (Traditional Early, Traditional Late, Anytime). Final and definitive times are learned upon boarding. This information will map over to the Medallion as will dining room and table. There is no reason whatsoever to think that the Medallion system will contain less information than the cruise card.

You are correct, the Medallion system will have that information. Emphasis on "system."

But the Medallion itself does not. Unlike with a cruise card, you cannot just look at the Medallion to learn your traditional dining room name, table number and actual dining time.

You must use a digital device, either your own or one of many Princess ones on the ship, to find out this information.

Think of the times when Princess made things harder to locate on their web site. What once may have taken one click gets changed to requiring several clicks. There would be posts on Cruise Critic wondering why Princess made it more difficult to use the web site.

The Medallion system has changed what was once a quick glance at the cruise card to a multi-step process including locating a digital device and then whatever steps it takes to locate the dining information.

You are correct, the Medallion system will have that information. Emphasis on "system."

But the Medallion itself does not. Unlike with a cruise card, you cannot just look at the Medallion to learn your traditional dining room name, table number and actual dining time.

You must use a digital device, either your own or one of many Princess ones on the ship, to find out this information.

Think of the times when Princess made things harder to locate on their web site. What once may have taken one click gets changed to requiring several clicks. There would be posts on Cruise Critic wondering why Princess made it more difficult to use the web site.

The Medallion system has changed what was once a quick glance at the cruise card to a multi-step process including locating a digital device and then whatever steps it takes to locate the dining information.

Are you really likely to forget your dining assignment? If you do then the crew can easily assist with that info. If one is confused (possibly due to dementia) it is unlikely they will remember to look at their card for that info. They are likely to ask for assistance from a crew member. In one case the crew member would look at the cruise card. In the other case the crew member would look at their tablet and then would get, not only the dining assignment but also a picture of you and also any ancillary information that may have been entered such as "suffers from mild dementia. May be confused or disoriented. Associated party member to contact in case of emergency: Joe Blow, Susan Blow, Jim Blow. Cabin xvxx" Obviously that example might have "too much information" and was not intended to be "the thing" or whatever. It was just an example of what might be possible above and beyond having your dining assignment or your muster station number or letter on the card.

I wonder how the medallions work with slot machines? Do they just see you at the machine? And what if you're just sitting there with a drink and not pushing the buttons?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

It'll no doubt still require you to enter a pin number.

I'm guessing that each machine won't be very sensitive so that you'll have to place your Medallion in a holder of some sort to activate it.

Only in the same way that you once opened up an envelope to read the correspondence within, and now you glance at your phone to read an email or a text. One is paper (or in the case of the cruise card, plastic) and the other is digital. Your cruise card is in your pocket and can be pulled out for viewing. The same is true with your smartphone. There is no difference in "steps" if your phone is in your possession. The issue here is that people are resistant to the idea of having a digital device in their possession. But that resistance does not equate to "more steps to the process." The process is the same. It is simply a matter of which medium one pulls out to glance at, a card or a phone. Use of the phone saves the cruise line money in not incurring the production cost of the card; is better for the environment in not creating millions of pieces of plastic waste each year; and allows for greater, more detailed real-time information to be accessed.

The only "downside" if one wants to call it that is "I don't want to carry my phone around with me". First of all, there is no requirement that one do so. If you remember your dining assignment and your agenda for the day, there is no reason to have to carry around a digital device to glance at. Number of times on all my cruises that I pulled out my cruise card to glance at it to glean information??--Zero. Number of times that had I done so the card would have informed me what time the next trivia game started or in which venue the reflexology seminar was being held??--Zero. If I remember my agenda, I don't need my smartphone with me. If I don't or can't remember my agenda, I am far better off with my dynamic phone than a static piece of plastic.

Are you really likely to forget your dining assignment? If you do then the crew can easily assist with that info.

Once I know it, no.

But to learn about it the first time it is easier with a cruise card to see the dining room name and the actual assigned time.