Baby Monitor for Adjoining Mini-Suites

Leaving tomorrow for a week on the Gem. We have 2 adjoining mini-suites, us in one cabin, the kids in the other. I have a 21 month old, 3.5 year old, and a 15 year old. Our 15 year old will likely be out and about in the evening, so we will often be hanging in our room or on the balcony after the little ones go to bed. I wanted to bring our baby monitor to be able to hear them from our room if one wakes, but with the metal walls, I'm not sure if the monitor will work. Has anyone brought one for an adjoining room and it work? Its not a video monitor or anything, just a regular sound monitor. The only threads I can find regarding monitors are ones from people wanting to leave kids in the room and go out, which is def not what we want to do. I just don't want to waste the space packing it if it won't work. Thanks!

It will depend on the type of signal. If its Bluetooth, depending on what is in the wall, signal strength could be an issue. Wifi will work fine signal wise, but you will need to set up an ad-hoc network. If it's RF it should work just fine.

We had rooms next to each other on the Breakaway, not adjoining. Our daughter brought an inexpensive audio monitor and it worked just fine. They'd put 2 year old to bed while we were out to dinner. When we got back they'd turn monitor on and go out for the night. We could hear him just fine on the monitor in our cabin next door. Worked great!

We brought our video one on a RCCL ship. We had adjoining balcony rooms and it worked great. Worse case if it didn't work you would have just taken up a small amount of space in your suitcase. Bring it and see. I also like that suggestion on calling the room and leaving it open.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the same situation we called one room's phone from the other room and left the line open. That was on Disney where there are cordless phones in the rooms- not sure what NCL Gem has, but it might work!

That brought back memories. Back in the 70's my neighbors and I would meet at each other's home for coffee or lunch while our babies napped. We did the open phone line monitoring. One peep and we were in their room in 15 seconds. That would definitely work on the cruise! Great idea. Better than the baby monitor.