WI-FI packages presale just announced this morning

I'm booked for Pride this Sunday, Trying to get the social pkg, but i choose social, the agree box is checked. Hit submit and a brown error message comes up and says its not available on my ship. Oh well

Not available for pre purchase on the Pride just yet.

Social plan. But I don't have an iPhone so no iMessage. I used Whatsapp and it worked fantastically for regular and picture texts, even to groups (was showing ship pics to friends and family in the States and Germany). This was on the Vista back in March. The only place I would lose signal was in the elevators.

My son is going on the Glory next month and he has an iPhone so I will ask him if he plans on using iMessage and report back if he does.

As a thought, why not download Whatsapp as a backup plan? It's free and it works on iPhones (my son uses it on an S6 I think). If you go on ship and iMessage works, the delete Whatsapp. If iMessage doesn't work, you can use the Whatsapp for everything except VOIP with the Social plan.

Last year, the wording of their FAQ's were different than now. iMessage wasn't mentioned at all as part of the Social plan, but it worked (except for sending photos). Now they say it isn't included with Social, but the way they word it, they lump it in with in-app calling and FaceTime (iPhone video calls), so I don't know if they mean iMessage won't work at all or if they're unknowingly including it in with wifi calling & video chat even though it does simple messaging.

The only reason we used the Social plan & iMessage to communicate with one another on board last year was because the Hub app wasn't available on the Conquest at the time. This time around, we'll just use that to communicate on board. But the reason I would like to use iMessage, instead of WhatsApp or others, is because my mom back home likes to hear from us. She's not in the greatest of health so it's nice to keep in touch. She's not tech savvy at all, so a new messaging app is pretty much out of the question.

Edited by Organized Chaos

If we only save a quarter, give or take, by pre-purchasing online, I'll surely wait until we get on board, because the discounted rate for purchasing on day one is much better than that. Unless they plan on changing that too. :confused:

I think the savings buying online versus for the duration of the cruise on day one is equal now. And you definitely save money buying it online with the higher two plans. I have no clue how much it is buying onboard on day one for the social plan. I don't know why Carnival can't make things easy:). Their always doing something, then tweaking it causing confusion. Geesh!

If we only save a quarter, give or take, by pre-purchasing online, I'll surely wait until we get on board, because the discounted rate for purchasing on day one is much better than that. Unless they plan on changing that too. :confused:

For a 7 day value plan, the prepurchase price is $71.75. The onboard purchase price is $72. The Fun Shops site lists the plan at $10.25 per day.

I think the savings buying online versus for the duration of the cruise on day one is equal now. And you definitely save money buying it online with the higher two plans. I have no clue how much it is buying onboard on day one for the social plan. I don't know why Carnival can't make things easy:). Their always doing something, then tweaking it causing confusion. Geesh!
I just came back here to edit my post and delete what I said, but you had already replied. I misunderstood Tiger0613's comment about only being a 25 cent difference. I didn't realize he was comparing the online pre-purchase price to the day one discount.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, we paid $18 for the Social plan last year by getting it on day one for a 5-day cruise, instead of $25. I haven't seen anyone mention how much it is nowadays or if the day one discount even still exists for Social, so I'm curious.

On an 8 day on the Legend, the social plan was $35. That is $4.375 per day.

If the prepurchase per day price($4.29) applies to cruises of all lengths and not just 7 day cruises, then prepurchasing would be cheaper for the social plan.

Edited by Tiger0613

Like I mentioned in the other thread, we paid $18 for the Social plan last year by getting it on day one for a 5-day cruise, instead of $25. I haven't seen anyone mention how much it is nowadays or if the day one discount even still exists for Social, so I'm curious.

Prices have gone up 20% since last year. A 4 day value plan in February 2016 and August 2016 was $35. In February 2017 that same plan was $42. A 7 day value plan was $60 last year. It is $72 now. A 5 day value plan was $40 in December 2016. It SHOULD be $48 now.

On an 8 day on the Legend, the social plan was $35. That is $4.375 per day.

If the prepurchase per day price($4.29) applies to cruises of all lengths and not just 7 day cruises, then prepurchasing would be cheaper for the social plan.

I didn't say it wasn't cheaper. I said the better value is in the higher two plans. And as far as I can tell, the online pre-purchase price and onboard day one price is the same regardless of the cruise length. I'm on a 6 day, and the social plan is $4.25. Not $4.29. Not $4.375. Meanwhile the higher plans are $10.25 and $16. According to what I'm hearing, that's the same as the onboard price if you buy for the whole cruise on day one. So is essence your best bet is to buy any of the plans for the entire cruise either online or onboard. Once you are onboard and skip a day or buy individual days (like we've done in the past), the value is gone. There is no tax for buying it online anymore.

Not available for pre purchase on the Pride just yet.

Yes that's what the error message stated. I tried it because it shows up on my booking as an option in the funshops. So I'm sure this will be up and running when they work out their bugs. No biggy, just purchase when I board.

going on splendor next month and cannot find the wifi option to buy online. Where is it?

Pre-purchase is not available on the Splendor yet. So far just the Dream, Fascination, Freedom, & Vista. It's expected to roll out fleet wide by mid-summer. Keep checking your account, it might pop up before you leave. Otherwise, buy it on board on your first day (for the whole cruise) to get the discounted price. It's looking like buying it on day one will be the same price as pre-purchase, or very close.

Has anyone used the Social package (the cheapest tier in the HUB packages) and used Facebook to video call home? Just curious if we can get away with that package for the week, or if we need to go higher.

Thanks

Video calling is not support on the Social plan, on any app.

Last year, the wording of their FAQ's were different than now. iMessage wasn't mentioned at all as part of the Social plan, but it worked (except for sending photos). Now they say it isn't included with Social, but the way they word it, they lump it in with in-app calling and FaceTime (iPhone video calls), so I don't know if they mean iMessage won't work at all or if they're unknowingly including it in with wifi calling & video chat even though it does simple messaging.

The only reason we used the Social plan & iMessage to communicate with one another on board last year was because the Hub app wasn't available on the Conquest at the time. This time around, we'll just use that to communicate on board. But the reason I would like to use iMessage, instead of WhatsApp or others, is because my mom back home likes to hear from us. She's not in the greatest of health so it's nice to keep in touch. She's not tech savvy at all, so a new messaging app is pretty much out of the question.

Sorry to hear about your mom. I will try and get my son to try his iMessage when he goes on the Glory next month. FYI, The Chat feature on the Hub does not work very well. Sometimes messages would go through, sometimes they were delayed by minutes or even hours, sometimes they didn't go through at all. Also, if you lose signal (such as in an elevator) it does not hold the message on the server until signal comes back. It just goes off into thin air.

So glad this is optional! I want to get away from email and the Internet while on my cruise...except if I need to do an online airline check-in the final day at sea! I understand those who have young children at home and will choose it to "check in." As for me, I'll be enjoying my voyage not plugging away at some electronic device or another.

Exactly!!

Has anyone used the Social package (the cheapest tier in the HUB packages) and used Facebook to video call home? Just curious if we can get away with that package for the week, or if we need to go higher.

Thanks

We have used FB messenger to call but not video, it works ok but there is a delay on the communications

Sorry to hear about your mom. I will try and get my son to try his iMessage when he goes on the Glory next month. FYI, The Chat feature on the Hub does not work very well. Sometimes messages would go through, sometimes they were delayed by minutes or even hours, sometimes they didn't go through at all. Also, if you lose signal (such as in an elevator) it does not hold the message on the server until signal comes back. It just goes off into thin air.
Thank you. I normally keep something personal like that private, but I thought it was a bit of relevant info. since some people chime in to say just turn the phones off. It's not always that simple. Other than that, she worries like a typical mother does, so I like to send her a message now & again to let her know all is well. I had a hard enough time teaching her the difference between her text messages and email, so the last thing I want to do is add another app. LOL

And thanks for thinking to get your son to try it. Our next one is on the Glory, too, so that would be nice to know. Other than that little bit of communication, I don't need an internet plan, so I hope to get by with just the Social. Yeah, I've seen you and others talk about the sporadic nature of Hub chat. I've heard real good things, real bad things, and everything in between. We'll have a group of eight between our two families, four of whom are teens, so I definitely want some kind of communication (other than white boards & post-its) to coordinate once in a while. It sucks that once a message fails to send, it's gone. We might have to come up with a plan of some kind...if we don't get a response in a timely manner, send it again.

You are right, and I just got my Social Plan for a 6 day cruise on the Vista.

Pre-purchase is not available on the Splendor yet. So far just the Dream, Fascination, Freedom, & Vista. It's expected to roll out fleet wide by mid-summer. Keep checking your account, it might pop up before you leave. Otherwise, buy it on board on your first day (for the whole cruise) to get the discounted price. It's looking like buying it on day one will be the same price as pre-purchase, or very close.

Fyi, I got my refund of the taxes this afternoon via e-gift card. I paid with gift cards. I was expecting a card in the mail and not this quick. Good job Carnival!

Fyi, I got my refund of the taxes this afternoon via e-gift card. I paid with gift cards. I was expecting a card in the mail and not this quick. Good job Carnival!
(y) I probably never would've thought to ask for the taxes back. I think I remember you saying you got back $6 & change, right? Heck, that'll buy you a beer.

(y) I probably never would've thought to ask for the taxes back. I think I remember you saying you got back $6 & change, right? Heck, that'll buy you a beer.

$6.11 and it's all there. lol. I'm going to use it towards the bottle we order for the room. I'm satisfied.:)

Thank you. I normally keep something personal like that private, but I thought it was a bit of relevant info. since some people chime in to say just turn the phones off. It's not always that simple. Other than that, she worries like a typical mother does, so I like to send her a message now & again to let her know all is well. I had a hard enough time teaching her the difference between her text messages and email, so the last thing I want to do is add another app. LOL

And thanks for thinking to get your son to try it. Our next one is on the Glory, too, so that would be nice to know. Other than that little bit of communication, I don't need an internet plan, so I hope to get by with just the Social. Yeah, I've seen you and others talk about the sporadic nature of Hub chat. I've heard real good things, real bad things, and everything in between. We'll have a group of eight between our two families, four of whom are teens, so I definitely want some kind of communication (other than white boards & post-its) to coordinate once in a while. It sucks that once a message fails to send, it's gone. We might have to come up with a plan of some kind...if we don't get a response in a timely manner, send it again.

That's an excellent plan. Wish I had thought of it on the Vista when I missed meeting up with my wife twice due to failed messages. The rest of the Hub is good though (and free). Just wish they would add the MDR menus to it. if you just plan on initiating contact back home, yo may want to go with the daily Social plan and just pay for the days you want to send messages home. Or you can save all the money and just search for free wifi on port days.

That's an excellent plan. Wish I had thought of it on the Vista when I missed meeting up with my wife twice due to failed messages. The rest of the Hub is good though (and free). Just wish they would add the MDR menus to it. if you just plan on initiating contact back home, yo may want to go with the daily Social plan and just pay for the days you want to send messages home. Or you can save all the money and just search for free wifi on port days.
Wait a minute...when the FAQ's say this:

• Food & Drinks: A comprehensive list of delicious dining options and dining-related events

That doesn't include the MDR menu? That's a bummer.

This is off topic, but since you brought up port wifi, it reminded me of a question. I've heard rumors that since San Juan and St. Thomas are part of U.S. territories, AT&T and Verizon are covered without roaming fees. Then again, I've heard it depends on a person's individual cellular plan. I plan on calling AT&T at some point, but has anyone had any experience with this?

Wait a minute...when the FAQ's say this:

• Food & Drinks: A comprehensive list of delicious dining options and dining-related events

That doesn't include the MDR menu? That's a bummer.

This is off topic, but since you brought up port wifi, it reminded me of a question. I've heard rumors that since San Juan and St. Thomas are part of U.S. territories, AT&T and Verizon are covered without roaming fees. Then again, I've heard it depends on a person's individual cellular plan. I plan on calling AT&T at some point, but has anyone had any experience with this?

It only lists the restaurants available on the ship and the times, not the menus (for any of the restaurants). It's something I hope they rectify.

I have Verizon and I remembered it worked at one point but not the other (it's been about 4 years since I've been to those islands so it may have changed. When I had Sprint, it worked at both islands. I've never had AT&T but if they are on the islands it should work fine as they are US Territories.