Triumph- We Just Returned From A Great Cruiise!

GulfCoaster

Booked on the May 20th 4-day out of NOLA we were so looking forward to this cruise - and it delivered!

We stayed at the New Orleans Marriott and were upgraded to a river view suite. When this happened I thought that the tone was being set for a great weekend away and it was. The Carnival Triumph and her crew were just spot on terrific!

We had your time dining and the food in the MDR was very good to great. Our service team of Zuzana and Henry and Bar Waiter Alexsandar were simply the best! We had heard from some that the MDR food on this cruise wasn't that good. Here again, food is subjective - we though it was just fine. We also did the Chef's Table and it was spectacular! If you are a "foodie" book this!

We were in Aft-Wrap # 8433. This is the second time we have booked that particular cabin and my only complaint was the plexiglass looking out to sea could once again (this was the same issue on our last Triumph cruise) really use a cleaning - the balcony itself was cleaned during one of the two sea days but not the plexiglass. It stayed as was and it is a mess. We also found the occasional cigarette butt on the balcony in the morning as well as one night late hearing a lot of chair scraping from above but that's the way it goes - just deal with it. Nothing to ruin the trip. It is what it is.

If you book one of these Aft Wrap cabins, the secret to keeping it cool temp wise is to simply keep your drapes closed during the day and keep your cabin lights off while you are out and about. I really must have a room cold enough to hang meat in to be comfortable and for us, the temp was fine in the cabin. Our cabin steward was Basco and we was terrific! He kept us in ice and towel animals and kept the cabin clean. Yes, we were asked if we wanted day or night service - we requested night. However, there were always fresh towels for us in the afternoon and more ice in the bucket waiting for us until the main cleaning in the evening.

These wonderful people work so hard (as does the entire crew on this ship) and have so much to do. They really do go out of their way to make you happy. As usual, we witnessed many on the cruise that appeared to be the type that cannot be pleased no matter what and that is a real shame. A smile vs. a grimace from the guests goes a long way. It really does....

For a change of pace we had booked the Cozumel Bar Hop about a month before the cruise date and it was one of the best excursions we have ever taken in Cozumel. Go! This is a great time on the eastern side of the island and we even saw the sailboat that was beached there that morning. We found out about it when we returned home. Interesting story on how it got there...

We had FTTF. I received a letter saying that the cruise terminal doors would not open until 11:00 AM and that FTTF should arrive anytime after 11:00 AM. We parked at the Port and we're inside by 10:40 AM. We boarded around 11:15 AM. When we disembarked we were directed to the London Dining Room for a 7:00 AM call. Cruise crew were checking FTTF I.D's. We did self-assist as we only had carry-ons. We went through US Customs (Custom Forms were used and collected on this sailing). We took the elevator up to the 4th floor where our car was parked and we were out of the Port and driving by 7:40 AM! That was the fastest disembark ever for us!

One thing - if you park at the Port of New Orleans do not get into the Taxi Land as we did as well as so many others in front and behind us. We sat and sat and the only time the lane really moved was when somebody pulled out of it. After a spell, a really nice port official walked by and told us (along with the folks in front and behind us) that we were sitting in the Taxi Lane! So feeling like a complete idiot, we pulled our of line - my wife waved others to follow all of us (most looked at her like she was an idiot) and within less then a minute we were paying our money to park! Duh!?!

We met some great people on this cruise and even won two "Ships on a Sticks" from trivia. We waited at the Red Frog at 1:00 PM for a get together that was posted on the Roll Call but it didn't happen. Oh, well...the 1st couple of hours on board are crazy and as long as everyone had a great cruise - that is really all that matters.

Anyway, please feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to answer them the best that I can.

A happy and safe summer sailing season to all!

Mike

You are all most welcome. I gain so much insight from the CC boards for all things cruising - before during and after. Least I can do is pay it forward if there is anyway I can help....

So for now and with regards to questions:

S&S cards were issued in the terminal at check-in. They even have a hole punched in them on the lower right side corner (no reason to bring a small hole punch anymore). On this voyage, we had access to the room dropped off our luggage and were sitting ready to chow down on a Guy's Burger BEFORE 11:30 (can't beat that!). Can't say it will be like that all the time.

Our Muster Station was inside a passageway on deck 4 and we used the crew stairwell which was right outside our cabin to access it. We were lucky as where we were standing there was an outside breeze coming through - however many were still fanning themselves as it was warm and the further back the line-up went away from the breeze access the warmer it got. The drill leaders told several people to put their cell phones away and many folks did not like being told that. Too bad! Put it away for the time the drill takes so the process can be sped up a bit. On this cruise they counted us by scanning the bar code on our S&S card. Make sure you get your card scanned.

The drill for this voyage took almost 40 minutes - and "they ain't playin' around" which is just fine in my book. Just leave your cell phones in the cabin or turn them off - listen to what the crew has to tell you - keep quiet during the drill - get you S&S card scanned and it WILL be over before you know it!:)

Thank you so much for your review!! We (spouse and 2 kids - 20 and 17) are sailing out of NOLA on Aug. 19 with my parents, my BFF and her spouse. We are also staying in the New Orleans Marriott and this will be our first time in NOLA. We all have balcony cabins on the 8th deck and we're all very excited, you just made my excitement even higher! :D

If you have checked bags do not put souvenirs in them. Our souvenirs along with 3 small clutches and 3 handbags were stolen between 8 and 11 while our bags were outside our room awaiting pick up on this same cruise.:mad: stolen by other cruisers 2 doors down or so we suspect!

Booked on the May 20th 4-day out of NOLA we were so looking forward to this cruise - and it delivered!

We stayed at the New Orleans Marriott and were upgraded to a river view suite. When this happened I thought that the tone was being set for a great weekend away and it was. The Carnival Triumph and her crew were just spot on terrific!

We had your time dining and the food in the MDR was very good to great. Our service team of Zuzana and Henry and Bar Waiter Alexsandar were simply the best! We had heard from some that the MDR food on this cruise wasn't that good. Here again, food is subjective - we though it was just fine. We also did the Chef's Table and it was spectacular! If you are a "foodie" book this!

We were in Aft-Wrap # 8433. This is the second time we have booked that particular cabin and my only complaint was the plexiglass looking out to sea could once again (this was the same issue on our last Triumph cruise) really use a cleaning - the balcony itself was cleaned during one of the two sea days but not the plexiglass. It stayed as was and it is a mess. We also found the occasional cigarette butt on the balcony in the morning as well as one night late hearing a lot of chair scraping from above but that's the way it goes - just deal with it. Nothing to ruin the trip. It is what it is.

If you book one of these Aft Wrap cabins, the secret to keeping it cool temp wise is to simply keep your drapes closed during the day and keep your cabin lights off while you are out and about. I really must have a room cold enough to hang meat in to be comfortable and for us, the temp was fine in the cabin. Our cabin steward was Basco and we was terrific! He kept us in ice and towel animals and kept the cabin clean. Yes, we were asked if we wanted day or night service - we requested night. However, there were always fresh towels for us in the afternoon and more ice in the bucket waiting for us until the main cleaning in the evening.

These wonderful people work so hard (as does the entire crew on this ship) and have so much to do. They really do go out of their way to make you happy. As usual, we witnessed many on the cruise that appeared to be the type that cannot be pleased no matter what and that is a real shame. A smile vs. a grimace from the guests goes a long way. It really does....

For a change of pace we had booked the Cozumel Bar Hop about a month before the cruise date and it was one of the best excursions we have ever taken in Cozumel. Go! This is a great time on the eastern side of the island and we even saw the sailboat that was beached there that morning. We found out about it when we returned home. Interesting story on how it got there...

We had FTTF. I received a letter saying that the cruise terminal doors would not open until 11:00 AM and that FTTF should arrive anytime after 11:00 AM. We parked at the Port and we're inside by 10:40 AM. We boarded around 11:15 AM. When we disembarked we were directed to the London Dining Room for a 7:00 AM call. Cruise crew were checking FTTF I.D's. We did self-assist as we only had carry-ons. We went through US Customs (Custom Forms were used and collected on this sailing). We took the elevator up to the 4th floor where our car was parked and we were out of the Port and driving by 7:40 AM! That was the fastest disembark ever for us!

One thing - if you park at the Port of New Orleans do not get into the Taxi Land as we did as well as so many others in front and behind us. We sat and sat and the only time the lane really moved was when somebody pulled out of it. After a spell, a really nice port official walked by and told us (along with the folks in front and behind us) that we were sitting in the Taxi Lane! So feeling like a complete idiot, we pulled our of line - my wife waved others to follow all of us (most looked at her like she was an idiot) and within less then a minute we were paying our money to park! Duh!?!

We met some great people on this cruise and even won two "Ships on a Sticks" from trivia. We waited at the Red Frog at 1:00 PM for a get together that was posted on the Roll Call but it didn't happen. Oh, well...the 1st couple of hours on board are crazy and as long as everyone had a great cruise - that is really all that matters.

Anyway, please feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to answer them the best that I can.

A happy and safe summer sailing season to all!

Mike

Do they still offer afternoon tea time on seadays?

• 1 month later...