Cleaning of rooms

blakeamy

Rooms are cleaned picture perfect. Yes, the camera can and does lie when the photographer knows how to hide stuff that they don't want you to see. In the steward's defense though, when you do the same repetitive job daily, it's easy to look right at something and not see it. Interruptions and distractions will also break their routine and train of thought, causing them to miss something that they would otherwise instinctively do.

Thorncroft,

Totally disagree with you. I am the poster that found toenails and hair on the bathroom floor. There was no way this was an interruption. The steward did not clean the bathroom. As soon as I walked in I could see them.

For the most part the cabins are clean but I am not taking a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there is VISIBLE dirt, I will call to have it cleaned. But, worrying about others not being as "fastidious" as you is just silly. We are all humans...and carry pretty much the same germs around with us.

Your best defense it to NOT disinfect everything...let your immune system do it's job...it needs SOMETHING to do, or it attacks your own body!

I got off of a cruise 2 weeks ago and people in my roll call are still complaining about terrible colds/ coughs that they picked up on the trip. I cleaned up my room on the first day and washed my hands a lot. I've been completely fine. I'd rather spend the $1 on a travel sized pack of wipes and 5 minutes of my time than be sick for weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And yet, Clorox kills bacteria...colds, norovirus, most GI issues are caused by viruses. The antiBACTERIAL sanitizer has the same problem. What probably helped you the most was washing your hands a lot.

And yet, Clorox kills bacteria...colds, norovirus, most GI issues are caused by viruses. The antiBACTERIAL sanitizer has the same problem. What probably helped you the most was washing your hands a lot.

Well I did rely on the hand sanitizer when eating and in port. Yes, some things are caused by viruses. Others are caused by bacteria. Such as bronchitis that was going around (which can be bacterial or viral). Either way, I'll keep carrying my little bottle of sanitizer around. I use it all the time on vacation and at home

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I always bring Lysol in my checked luggage for both land hotel rooms and cruise rooms. I recall one year on the Dream it looked like there was throw up on the wall behind the drape to the balcony. I let our room steward know and they took care of it immediately and was apologetic they had missed it (not sure if it was throw up or soup..).

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I will say that I have seen the stewards clean all hard surfaces with disinfectant between cruises. I usually find a pretty good clean cabin. However when I cruise I always bring a flashlight and inspect for bedbugs just a thing I'm weird about. Usually the carpets are really dusty in corners and baseboards and under the beds are usually dusty.

I wonder if tile would be good for rooms instead of carpet?

I think tile floors would lead to a whole different thread, one on the noise from the cabin above and next door. Carpet is great for sound insulation. Can't see them using anything else.

I do take wipes though for the phone and remote control and safe.

Actually Clorox does kill many viruses. The Clorox brand comes in different formulations besides bleach, and those can kill viruses of concern. Your best bet is to read the label of the different formulations. Regardless, hand washing and not touching your face, nose or eyes are your best defense.

No, it was eventually taken care of. I guess I have a fear of them using my toothbrush to then clean the toilet :eek:. I've watched too many hidden camera shows. :o

We are so paranoid of that, we actually lock up our toothbrushes in the safe whenever we leave the room. No joke.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are so paranoid of that, we actually lock up our toothbrushes in the safe whenever we leave the room. No joke.

Paranoia is NOT good for the soul. Ecspecially while on vacation.

When I first started cruising, I use to bring a big can of lysol and spray and wipe down everything my hands had to touch. I sprayed the bedding, drapes, bathroom and floor, the room floor carpeting, everything. I would use up the whole can of spray. Then I would open the balcony door and the entry door and let fresh air into the room. That was years ago. Now, I just get on the ship and enjoy myself with minor precautions. After about 15 cruises, I have never gotten sick, thank God:)

I don't lock mine up but I do put a loose cover on it and place it in a drawer out of the way, just because I don't want someone to accidentally knock it over onto the floor. My family leaves their's out...

I also make sure our cabin is kept tidy and surfaces empty of junk so the steward can get in and out quickly. I carry a small packet of wipes but it depends on my gut feeling whether I pull them out and wipe everything down. I DEFINITELY use them on plane trips now, wiping down the tray table and arm rests. After watching a show on how they turnaround a plane, they have barely enough time to pick up litter. Nothing is wiped down from the possibly snotty nosed passenger before you who spilled their drink all over the seat and tray.

I think tile floors would lead to a whole different thread, one on the noise from the cabin above and next door. Carpet is great for sound insulation. Can't see them using anything else.

I do take wipes though for the phone and remote control and safe.

Carpet is fine by me. My bare feet do not touch the floors during the entire cruise. I wear footwear (mostly sandals) all the time, except for in the shower (probably where you need it the most!).

Years ago I read an article in a kids science magazine about all the nasty air droplets in the bathroom once the toilet is flushed. It said NEVER leave your toothbrush near the toilet. I still think about that gross article and my brush is nowhere near the toilet!

• 11 months later...

I noticed that rooms with curtains can be dusty. You can blow the dust out of the curtains with your hairdryer. Just bring allergy meds if you have to do that. Carnival seems to do a good job with interior cabins. I never book a cabin with curtains. When do they ever have time to clean them? Clorox wipes are a good idea. I have also brought alcohol wipes for the slot machines.

NOBODY is going to clean the toilet with your toothbrush. They cannot afford to start an epidemic. If you are concerned, stow your toothbrush. Happy Cruising!!!!

I always take disinfecting wipes and wipe down everything possible when we board. I don't have a reason to distrust them but they are humans with a lot of rooms to clean. If all it takes is a couple of bucks and a couple of minutes to keep my family from getting sick, I'm happy to do it.

NOBODY is going to clean the toilet with your toothbrush. They cannot afford to start an epidemic.

A vindictive and unquiet mind knows no bounds. People should think twice before being rude to those who serve them any where and in any form of service. It's also good manners and professional.

I always take disinfecting wipes and wipe down everything possible when we board. I don't have a reason to distrust them but they are humans with a lot of rooms to clean. If all it takes is a couple of bucks and a couple of minutes to keep my family from getting sick, I'm happy to do it.

Well said and I'll add to not overlook wiping well the wall and lamp switches and most of all the TV remote. Black light studies have shown these to be hot spots alive with a host of bacteria and viruses.

The only thing I have ever found on any of the cruise ships I have been on was a pair of underwear still in the dresser drawer which a quick poke my head out the door to my steward and they came and retrieved them

The only time I ever got sick was when I was on NCL Epic out of Barcelona - We were in the Haven which you know they have 2 people cleaning your room up there so you know it was clean and on day 3 I got a cold which I ended up keeping for the rest of my cruise along with the next 7 days we spent in Paris and Amsterdam - But I did not let it ruin my fun the only thing was I had to walk around with a wad of Kleenex along with a zip lock bag to throw my used tissues in

If you ingest enough alcohol, it kills all the bugs before they make you sick.

This is essentially my strategy. :) If there were something seriously out of whack - potential puke on the wall would put me over the edge! - I'd call for the steward. Hair on the bathroom floor, I'm more likely to just kick into the corner and move on with my day. And I have horribly sensitive skin, so bringing Lysol would do way more harm than good!