Chair hog solution?

KCMiller

My last cruise I went out to the pool early. I saw a man and women starting to put towels down on chairs. I noticed she had an arm full of towels so I went to the other end of the row of chairs and put my stuff down and sat. She gave me such a look. Her husband said to her "how many do we need" she told him "the whole row" :eek: I pretented I did not hear her and stayed. She grabbed all of the towels and stomped off with her husband rolling his eyes at her. There had to be at least 8 to 10 chairs in the row :rolleyes:

Had a similar incident on Magic earlier this year. 2 woman at 7:30 am put a towel on EVERY chair in the smoking section on deck 11. I threw one the towels aside and sat down. They picked up about 8 towels and went farther down. No one came there until 8:30.

Saw a crew member put stickers on 2 chairs on Lido where almost every chair had a towel. He returned in 40 minutes and...took the stickers! No one was there for another hour.

Now that my kids are older and I don't have to watch them in the pool every minute I look for a lounger further back, away from the running children and the splashing water, and leave the poolside ones for people with little kids that need those spots closer to the pool. I generally don't have a problem with finding a chair in a less "prime" location, and if my husband and I can't find two close together we move one.

A few years ago we rented a time share week in a beach condo complex where there was an extended family traveling together (I think it was 8 adults and 6 kids). Grandpa would be out by that pool before 7 am, dragging every single one of the loungers over into a huge circle and spreading out a towel or throwing a book or flip flop on each of the 40 or so loungers. It would be hours before they would reappear, and at any given time there we a maximum of 4 or 5 of them actually sitting down in the chairs despite taking up all 40 for the day. If anyone approached they would insist that there were 40 of them and that they were "using all of the chairs". It got pretty heated with them and another family and by day #4 the woman from the other family got so incensed that she was picking up the unused towels on the chairs that had been sitting empty for hours and chucking them into the pool. I thought there was going to be a brawl.

Many times I have been looking for a chair to watch my kids in a pool and sit down at a chair with one stray flip flop on it - and if anyone came back to claim the chair I would just move. But on none of those occasions has the person ever come back.

I don't know how Carnival can police this. I guess with some people it's just their nature to hog something they aren't even using.

A new cruiser asked for advice. On suggestion was to be sure and get to the pool by 8 and reserve your chairs for the day. Then you could sleep later or breakfast but you would have a chair later when you wanted it. They were serious.

The truly scary part is these people reproduce and they pass the "entitled" mindset onto their offspring. Its like a bad gene going from generation to generation....vicious cycle

These threads are always fun.

Do you guys really never move their stuff? Because we ALWAYS do if we're ready to catch some sun and there's 49 chairs with junk on them and no one in sight. You can completely tell who tossed a shoe or an orange (happened...I ate it. Not kidding) or a book down and wondered off after holding "their" chair. I'm not playing the game. If it's empty and obviously not being used, I move the stuff. If a steward is near I wave him/her over and let them know someone "forgot" their book or flip flop.

If there's a towel, a bag and a drink, etc...around the lounger, it's being used and we never mess with it but I don't have time for silly people who think they can jump up at 5am and wonder back to bed and show up at 10am and hang by the pool. Not having it and we don't lose a second of fun thinking about it afterward.

We have never had a single person show back up or if they did they didn't say anything.

Been wondering what the good thing about NCL was, now we know.

Sent from my iPhone

They also have their drinks package as an included perks option, which Carnival never does. And they take reservations for their adult comedy shows, which is much better than waiting in line for a half hour plus which you need to do most of the time on Carnival to assure that you'll get a seat. And they have actual Broadway like entertainment in their main lounge, instead of Hasbro the game show and playlist productions.

Besides Alchemy Bar and lunch options, NCL is much better on their newest ships

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

They also have their drinks package as an included perks option, which Carnival never does. And they take reservations for their adult comedy shows, which is much better than waiting in line for a half hour plus which you need to do most of the time on Carnival to assure that you'll get a seat. And they have actual Broadway like entertainment in their main lounge, instead of Hasbro the game show and playlist productions.

Besides Alchemy Bar and lunch options, NCL is much better on their newest ships

It was meant as humor. That said I could argue some of your points but won't as it is off topic. I will say there is a reason why they have to include freebies like drink packages. That reason is not they are really trying to be nice.......

Sent from my iPhone

These threads are always fun.

Do you guys really never move their stuff? Because we ALWAYS do if we're ready to catch some sun and there's 49 chairs with junk on them and no one in sight. You can completely tell who tossed a shoe or an orange (happened...I ate it. Not kidding) or a book down and wondered off after holding "their" chair. I'm not playing the game. If it's empty and obviously not being used, I move the stuff. If a steward is near I wave him/her over and let them know someone "forgot" their book or flip flop.

If there's a towel, a bag and a drink, etc...around the lounger, it's being used and we never mess with it but I don't have time for silly people who think they can jump up at 5am and wonder back to bed and show up at 10am and hang by the pool. Not having it and we don't lose a second of fun thinking about it afterward.

We have never had a single person show back up or if they did they didn't say anything.

The only time I moved a magazine after asking the other folks in the area if the seat had been used and told it was available, I got an older lady screaming her head off at me for about 5 minutes before she threw her magazine on another chair and left without ever sitting down.

So sad. I don't think I want a chair enough to ever listen to that again.

Still have 23 days 20 hours 28 mins and 30 secs and this thread is stressing me out. Not gonna be up at 7:00 for a chair. Not gonna throw anyones stuff overboard. Will only use the chairs I need when our butts are planted in them. Will send hubby for a drink or take turns for bathroom breaks. When we leave that chair is free game for anyone. Will I be ok with this logic? First time sailing when school is out.

Still have 23 days 20 hours 28 mins and 30 secs and this thread is stressing me out. Not gonna be up at 7:00 for a chair. Not gonna throw anyones stuff overboard. Will only use the chairs I need when our butts are planted in them. Will send hubby for a drink or take turns for bathroom breaks. When we leave that chair is free game for anyone. Will I be ok with this logic? First time sailing when school is out

Pretty much my philosophy too - who needs stress on vacation? I have never had a problem finding a chair somewhere and if I can't I just ask the people next to what looks like a chair hog situation and sit there until they come back - which they basically never do - and then when my kids get out of the pool we're outta there. If I have a chair and need to refill a drink or go to the restroom I ask someone nearby to keep an eye on my towel/chair for a couple of minutes, and then come right back.

Wow, I happened upon this thread and read about 2/3rds of it. All I can think of is...prank pile o' poo. 😂😂😂💩 I don't need a lounger to sunbathe. But if you are a people watcher, this would be highly entertaining.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

People watching is one of my favorite things to do, on a cruise or anywhere. My husband and I were on a RC cruise years ago and we saw some pretty interesting stuff going on between a group of girls and a group of guys over the week. I felt like I had landed in the middle of an episode of Jersey Shore.

That's the good thing about NCL...They have the silverware wrapped up and on the table in the condiment rack.

Been wondering what the good thing about NCL was, now we know.

Sent from my iPhone

That's probably about the only good thing about NCL in my opinion. ;p

Still have 23 days 20 hours 28 mins and 30 secs and this thread is stressing me out. Not gonna be up at 7:00 for a chair. Not gonna throw anyones stuff overboard. Will only use the chairs I need when our butts are planted in them. Will send hubby for a drink or take turns for bathroom breaks. When we leave that chair is free game for anyone. Will I be ok with this logic? First time sailing when school is out.

Sure. Hope you find a chair. ;)

You are correct that if you wait 40 min or more and then remove the flip flops or other items from a chair you are following the rules. However, there are a lot of people responding here that say if they see flip flops on a chair, they just remove them no matter how long its been. As you say, rules should be followed and carnival says you have 40min before you have to give up your chair. People think that is too long, but carnival makes the rules and they should be followed. If people remove items prior to 40min, they are breaking the rules just like the real chair hogs.

It doesn't seem that people are talking about moving belonging of people who are in the pool or on a potty break, they are talking about moving the random items that people plop down to save a chair while they go back to bed, go to brunch, or play BINGO. It's the one flip flop, or half a magazine, or an orange (my personal favorite and it always seems to be an orange. Never a banana or bagel or something). I wouldn't move someone's towel and sunscreen, but I will remove an orange to sit down if I can't find another seat.

I moved a towel once. There was a single vacant chair next to 5 or 6 "reserved" chairs. I moved the towel off to the side. No one ever came to sit in any of the chairs. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. If anyone confronts me, I'll just play dumb. :-p

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just picturing... someone comes back and says they left their orange on their lounger. And getting the response of...can you identify the orange please?

Lmao

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hear the voice of Jake, from State Farm - "Uhhh orange."

I hope I see this.

Chair hog: "Hey, I left an orange on that chair!"

Me: "And it was pretty good, but next time could you leave a banana?"