NCL credit card hold

305diva

Hey.

Longtime cruiser, new to NCL. :D

What is the credit card hold amount when you embark? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

For my husband and I it's been $300 no matter if the cruise will be 7 days or a long cruise of 28-33 days.

More holds are placed when that one clears and we do more charges.

Edited by NMLady

Hey.

Longtime cruiser, new to NCL. :D

What is the credit card hold amount when you embark? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Solo traveler just returned from the Getaway on Jan 3. When I checked my credit card online on Jan 3, it showed a $300.00 authorization/hold (not sure which or if they are the same thing). It was replaced with a $98 actual charge on Jan 4.

NCL put a $300 hold on your credit card and when your account approaches that figure it increases the hold.

I don't know but I imagine that if you want to make a large purchase; diamonds; emerald; 5 single malts and so on then the sale would be held till they had increased the hold. ;)

Mike

With a credit card, NCL will run an authorization. This is NOT a hold. The authorizations are not cleared until they expire, which is determined by your credit card company, not NCL. On the final morning of your cruise, NCL will post a real charge for the outstanding balance on your account.

I was NOT asking for the definition of a credit card hold/authorization. I AM, however, asking the dollar amount that NCL holds.

This information is provided on Carnival's website...

The guest’s credit card or debit card will be swiped at embarkation with an initial hold placed on file as a deposit::

2 - 5 day cruise: $100 USD per credit card or debit card

6 days or longer: $200 USD per credit card or debit card

I have been unable to find similar information on NCL's website.

Thank you to those that are able to answer my actual question.

Solo traveler just returned from the Getaway on Jan 3. When I checked my credit card online on Jan 3, it showed a $300.00 authorization/hold (not sure which or if they are the same thing). It was replaced with a $98 actual charge on Jan 4.

Thank you!

NCL put a $300 hold on your credit card and when your account approaches that figure it increases the hold.

I don't know but I imagine that if you want to make a large purchase; diamonds; emerald; 5 single malts and so on then the sale would be held till they had increased the hold. ;)

Mike

Thanks!

I gifted this trip to my brother as bday gift. Maybe he will return the favor and gift me diamonds, emeralds, etc. :rolleyes::D

NCL has never placed a hold on my CC on any of the numerous cruises that we have taken.

NCL has always obtained a preauthorization on our card.

Unless you checked your credit card account before disembarkation you wouldn't realize that they do obtain the preauthorization for $300. By the time you get home the preauthorization has been cleared from your account, and replaced by the actual charge. So if you don't check your account prior to disembarkation you'd never know they did it.

Hotels and rental car companies do the same.

NCL has never placed a hold on my CC on any of the numerous cruises that we have taken.

Just because you haven't seen them, does not mean that there haven't been one. For example most of my credit cards do not show preauthorizations at all on the online services.

Like njhorseman said, it's exactly the same as hotels and car rental companies do.

• 8 months later...

this thread is good info. thanks. i already knew not to use a debit card but some people in the "i wish i knew' thread were saying it's 60 bucks a day on some other lines that there's a preauth

i already planned on a separate card given to NCL upon checkin at the pier but now i know what to expect with the amount.

With a credit card, NCL will run an authorization. This is NOT a hold. The authorizations are not cleared until they expire, which is determined by your credit card company, not NCL. On the final morning of your cruise, NCL will post a real charge for the outstanding balance on your account.

Call it what you want, it reduces what you have available to spend on that card by the amount of the authorization. (Yes, I know the original thread is from January.)

As I only have a Debit Card, NCL strongly suggests you not use it because it will automatically put a $300 hold on your card, and then whatever else you use your Cruise Card for onboard will be put ON TOP of that amount. they highly discourage using Debit Cards. Cash would be better or if you have a regular Credit Card.

I used Cash, We got on first thing in the morning in NYC, as soon as we got on board went online at the Purser's Desk and put down cash, done and done. So then I if I needed to put more $$ down I could, but I luckily did not need to. They ended up owing me money back!!!

If you are concerned about the hold, put down cash instead.

• 4 weeks later...
As I only have a Debit Card, NCL strongly suggests you not use it because it will automatically put a $300 hold on your card, and then whatever else you use your Cruise Card for onboard will be put ON TOP of that amount. they highly discourage using Debit Cards. Cash would be better or if you have a regular Credit Card.

I used Cash, We got on first thing in the morning in NYC, as soon as we got on board went online at the Purser's Desk and put down cash, done and done. So then I if I needed to put more $$ down I could, but I luckily did not need to. They ended up owing me money back!!!

If you are concerned about the hold, put down cash instead.

Do you mind if I ask how much did they make you deposit? I called and they said I would have to deposit $1200 for 4 people. Others are saying you can deposit what you want. Thanks!

If two people sharing a room each use their own credit card is the authorization $300pp or $150pp? Is the same amount applied for a 13 day cruise?

Since separate folios, $300 per person per cruise, regardless of week or two weeks

• 4 months later...

I've used multiple methods of payment on ncl cruises. What worked for me may not for others. But on one cruise,we had 3 adults each w/their own(separate) spending acct.and $300. For each cash acct was suggested. On another cruise two adults w/separate acct.and one minor w/ no charging authorization,the two adults each had to put $300. To start their acct. This last cruise with 3 adults (one is a special child ,and all of her spending is done with me in tow,so her card states no charging privileges,and the other 2 adults were on the same acct. and again only required $300. Total To open acct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a $1200 hold for two people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, how long was your cruise? We had a 23 day cruise and had prepaid the DSC so our initial hold was only $300 for two people. As we used that amount they would put another $300 hold.

Wow, how long was your cruise? We had a 23 day cruise and had prepaid the DSC so our initial hold was only $300 for two people. As we used that amount they would put another $300 hold.

14 day. And it wasn't exactly $1200, it was three different charges. All three charges were on there even after my card was charged for the real bill. Took about 4 days for it to disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I have a vig problem, cruised april 02. They hold $18,000 on my credit card. So now my credit is blocked. I am calling at 09:00. The problem is it is the second time NCL do this to me. We cruise a lot 3 to four times a year with different cruise line, never had a problem. The cruise before they took $15,000 authorization . One mistake i can understand but two on two, no. I'm done. Never again.