Canary current - Transatlantic crossing and Cape Verde to Casablanca

sarararah

I'm going to be on the Hurtigruten Fram trip from Amazon to Sahara and while I'm pretty clear on what there is to see on the South American side of things, once we head away from French Guiana into the Atlantic and across to Cape Verde, I'm a bit at a loss with my expectations.

For anyone who has done similar trips in March/April, what wildlife can I expect in the Southern Atlantic in spring, and is there anything unmissable from deck on our way up the Moroccan coast? I know history isn't the best predictor of these things, but does anyone know where I might find records of wave heights and just how bad the seas might get at that time of year.

This was a bit of a last minute decision that DH really fancied, so we're up fro an adventure, I'd just like a bit of being forewarned and forearmed!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have done this on Oceania. The Cape Verde Islands were a great stop. Very clean--nice people--great fish market.

Not sure what you mean by wildlife--you are too far from the coast of Africa to see any animal life--as you would be going up the coast of Brazil.

Our stop in the Canary Islands was nice also--Arrecefe, Lanzarote--good shops and outdoor cafes

Casablanca was a major disappointment--we like Tangier much better

The Ocean was like a "bathtub" on our trip--very smooth

• 2 months later...

Will you please tell me where the cruise ships dock in Arrecife? I would like to walk to the Church of San Gines and San Jose Castle museum of International art. Thank you.

Will you please tell me where the cruise ships dock in Arrecife? I would like to walk to the Church of San Gines and San Jose Castle museum of International art. Thank you.

I think you will find there are two potential places used as a dock, so suggest you search for the port authority to see where your ship docks.

We just visited Cape Verde (Mindelo, on Sao Vicente) and Dakar with Oceania in April. Not exactly the same route (was out of Miami via Barbados, so more northerly than you will be as a start). Seas were pretty friendly, iirc one day we had 3 meter swells from the north on the crossing but predictable and steady; otherwise the crossing was pretty calm. We did catch the tail end of a low pressure system coming into Lisbon at the end of the cruise, but nothing crazy.

Past weather won't guarantee future results, but that area of the ocean at that time of year has a reputation as being relatively well behaved.

We saw some fish that appeared to skim the surface - flying fish? And kelp along the way, but otherwise nothing too noticeable from a wildlife perspective in mid ocean. We aren't experts, so there may have been things we were missing!!

We enjoyed our trip very much, hope you do too