Obstructed Balcony now part of "Interior" choices

Regal Princess obstructed balcony cabins can now be found included with interior cabin options!! Guessing Royal and Majestic are also listed similarly.

I was looking for a future cruise and like a deluxe obstructed balcony cabin...but I couldn't find them with the balcony cabins, which is where they always have been. So I clicked on 'interior' cabins--low and behold, there was the button for obstructed balcony cabins.

I did a quick thread search on "obstructed balcony" and didn't see this had been mentioned already; if so, apologies for the repeat.

I discovered this change on all ships I've checked a couple of days ago & used their website's Site Feedback button to write that I didn't like the change. There have been many website improvements but having obstructed oceanview listed with insides is not a better way to find an OOV cabin.

It's crazy. I keep checking the price of my Obstructed Deluxe Balcony on the Regal, and suddenly several days ago I couldn't even find that category! Did finally see that it was in the Interior section. Just knew it was a mistake, but no! Still there.

Sure would like to know Princess's thinking on why obstructed view cabins are now considered interiors. :confused:

For the Crown Princess, they've moved the obstructed oceanview to the inside category.

I discovered this change on all ships I've checked a couple of days ago & used their website's Site Feedback button to write that I didn't like the change. There have been many website improvements but having obstructed oceanview listed with insides is not a better way to find an OOV cabin.

This might make some sense with fully obstructed rooms which are little better than insides other than some light leaking in but when you get to the Royal-class ships where some of obstructed balconies have no obstructions that some people care about (e.g. on our upcoming Regal cruise, we're in a cabin whose "obstruction" is the roof below it (so no view straight down to the promenade) but no obstructions looking out), it makes little sense. Many of these obstructed cabins are actually hidden gems - no horizontal obstructions and extended balconies. Why do I have a feeling going forward they'll be considered insides for purposes of booking incentives (OBC, etc.) and FCC?

Sure would like to know Princess's thinking on why obstructed view cabins are now considered interiors. :confused:

I can theorize it is a good way to cut down on the complaints by passengers who book these cabins and then find out they do not have a panoramic view of the ocean and feel that they deserve OBC, a free cruise, etc.; for compensation.

If one books an "interior" cabin, one's expectations are lower for sight lines and the passenger might be happy that they received what they paid for.

Oh my what a good point about booking incentives. Now I get it. ☹️

I have one of those oversized obstructed (but not really obstructed!) balcony cabins on the Royal booked for 2018 and just checked my personalizer and the OBC for this reservation is based on balcony not inside. Hope nothing changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Why do I have a feeling going forward they'll be considered insides for purposes of booking incentives (OBC, etc.) and FCC?

Scary thought. Hope that's not what happens on my already-booked obstructed deluxe (extended) balcony with no obstruction. :) It doesn't have an inside price, so I hope we don't get inside incentives and FCC credit.

Scary thought. Hope that's not what happens on my already-booked obstructed deluxe (extended) balcony with no obstruction. :) It doesn't have an inside price, so I hope we don't get inside incentives and FCC credit.

Any changes should not affect any already booked cruises. Whatever you were entitled to at the time of booking stays with the booking.

If the reason is to save $25/pp of FCD OBC that's a savings only on Royal-class ships (obstructed balcony to interior) but there's no savings on other ships by having obstructed oceanview cabins listed as interior because it's the same amount for oceanview & interior cabins.

DH and I are taking a Royal Caribbean cruise with family (not our choice of cruise line but others didn't want to fly...oh well, we'll be on a cruise!!)...

Anyway, I was looking at the other family members cabin types due to a possible price reduction and noticed that RC includes their Promenade view cabins with interior cabins. Granted, they aren't OCEANview but they, like the obstructed OV and balcony on Princess certainly are not interior cabins.

BTW: on Princess, though the obstructed view cabins are listed with interior cabins, they aren't priced the same as interior cabins; you pay more for the obstruction than a blank wall.

DH and I are taking a Royal Caribbean cruise with family (not our choice of cruise line but others didn't want to fly...oh well, we'll be on a cruise!!)...

Anyway, I was looking at the other family members cabin types due to a possible price reduction and noticed that RC includes their Promenade view cabins with interior cabins. Granted, they aren't OCEANview but they, like the obstructed OV and balcony on Princess certainly are not interior cabins.

It makes sense the promenade cabins are listed as interior cabin. While they have a window that lets anyone across the way stare into the cabin, keeping the curtain closed for privacy certainly makes it an "inside" cabin.

It makes sense the promenade cabins are listed as interior cabin. While they have a window that lets anyone across the way stare into the cabin, keeping the curtain closed for privacy certainly makes it an "inside" cabin.

A most excellent point!!

Of course, in some ports, a balcony cabin can also become an "inside" when another ship is parked right beside you ;p:eek::o

I'm thinking it's just a way to upsell to a higher category. When people see a better cabin for a little more money, they will be tempted to spend the difference. I've seen this on other websites where you click on interior & it will say, for just $5 more a day you can move up to a higher category - I'm sure it works.

I find this a little strange. My DW and I would never consider any cruise if we had to take an inside cabin. Everyone has different feelings on this, but this is ours. I'm sure there may be others who feel the same way. Because of those feelings, I would never even look under the inside cabin category when considering a cruise. My upcoming Mediterranean cruise shows balconies, minis, and suites sold out. If I were a newbie to Princess and/or not a CC member, I wouldn't even bother to see if there were obstructed view balconies available under the inside cabin category. :confused: