Flying to your cruise

Mary49

Hi, just want to share what I did and hoping this works out.

Okay, so I decided to make the mistake of booking the flight the day of the cruise. I never did this before so I figured I would be alright. Now my flight leaves on this Saturday the day of the cruise and I am already a nervous about it. Leaving from JFK and they are forecasting lots of rain. Yikes. My flight is at 8:30 on Delta going to New Orleans and I'm hoping I beat out the rain. I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN AS IT IS VERY NERVE WRACKING. Let this be a lesson to me. I don't know what I was thinking.......

Will let you guys know how I did.

We always fly in the day before. Coming from a cold weather/snowy state and usually cruising in January. I would be a nervous wreck for the months before our trip. lol Good Luck and try not to worry too much. Have a great trip.

New York, NY. Saturday forecast. Morning cloudy with periods of rain, high 52.

I think if this holds true you'll be just fine. Doesn't sound like it's going to be severe whether or torrential rains. Planes can handle rain showers.

Okay, so I decided to make the mistake of booking the flight the day of the cruise. I never did this before so I figured I would be alright. Now my flight leaves on this Saturday the day of the cruise and I am already a nervous about it. Leaving from JFK and they are forecasting lots of rain. Yikes. My flight is at 8:30 on Delta going to New Orleans and I'm hoping I beat out the rain. I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN AS IT IS VERY NERVE WRACKING. Let this be a lesson to me. I don't know what I was thinking.......

We stopped flying in the day of several years ago. The weather was okay, but there were some mechanical issues with the plane. Long story short, by the time we made it to Miami, it was about an hour after the ship had sailed out of port. A representative of the cruise line (RCCL) made arrangements for us to take a plane to Nassau (the first port) to catch up with the ship. You only have to miss sail away once to become a firm believer in flying in the day before. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

The TV in our area just ran an interview about a family that was flying into the port city the day of their cruise where they would celebrate a family birthday. Spirit cancelled flights as they stood in line to check in.

No way to get to FLA in time to sail. :loudcry::loudcry: At least if they'd been flying the day before and were cancelled they'd have had time to drive to the port.

We flew from Illinois to Miami on embarkation day for our Vista cruise last month. We had to route through Dallas. Even with leaving shortly before 6:00 a.m., we didn't land in Miami until shortly before 1:00 p.m. From there, there was a long delay retrieving our luggage, so we made our way down to the Carnival check in counter (located outside luggage carousel 26).

There are cruise line affiliated folks with clipboards (I have no idea what's on the papers...flight times for ship guests leaving that day?) that walk up and down the luggage carousel area. I saw a NCL rep and a Carnival rep.

The check in took all of 5 minutes and gave me enough time to walk all the way back down to our carousel to retrieve the last pieces of luggage.

We purchased cruise transfers, so once back at the check in counter, we waited for our shuttle bus (approx 5 minutes). We handed our bags to the driver, got on board and waited. The bus took about 10 minutes to get enough people, then we drove around to the other terminal where we picked up a few more folks. We had folks from a couple different cruise ships on our shuttle.

Once at the port, we tipped the driver, retrieved our luggage, gave it to a porter with a tip and headed into the terminal. It was almost 3 p.m. by this time. The nice thing was, we literally almost had no wait whatsoever. We passed through a couple of security checkpoints and continued walking all the way to the first photo station. We should have done what others did and bypassed this, as there was a rather motley looking wedding party having multiple pictures taken. After a few minutes it was our turn. Once done, we were onboard in a couple more minutes. Easiest embarkation ever!

Nice thing about being so late is the room (Havana aft balcony) was ready. We put away a few things and then met our cabin steward. We were off to muster within the hour and, when finished with this, our luggage was in our room and on the bed!!

So, would we do this again? Absolutely not! This was pretty nerve wracking and the timing was just right. Had it been off a bit, we might not have made it. Our return flight was delayed due to weather and if we had run into bad weather like we did returning home, I can guarantee that we would not have made embarkation.

We flew Chicago to Seattle the morning of our Alaskan cruise because the Seattle hotels are so expensive. It worked out for us but we will NEVER do that again. Too too stressful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our last cruise we flew Frontier overnight from Denver to Miami. Left Denver JUST as a major winter storm was moving in. Midnight flight out and heavy rain all evening long and by 11 pm it was changing to all snow. Temps were 32 deg. boarded the plane and pushed back, captain came on and said we will need to de-ice the plane. Its snowing harder and harder. de-icing took 30 mins. taxied out to runway and captain said we were 4 in line. Mind you this is Friday night just before midnight and our cruise leaves Sunday morning. plenty of time you think? NO. Winter storm that was coming will shut down the airport all weekend. Get me off the ground and on our way now. LOL. finally its our time to take off and its snowing outside HEAVY. wheels left the ground and everyone on board cheered. no stopping now till we hit Miami. landed in Miami at 6:30 am Saturday morning Miami time and while waiting for luggage we saw on the TV news that Denver international airport was shut down from the winter storm. We got out of there by the skin of our teeth. we had the whole day Saturday to wonder around Bayside shopping center by the port. Do some shopping while we waited for our room to become ready and YVE. YVE held our luggage while we wondered around shopping. Our next cruise next April we plan to take the same flight time and arrive first thing in the morning and have all day again in MIami and stay at YVE again. wake up the next morning and take the hotel shuttle to the port. I'll never fly in the day of the cruise. way to many things can delay you in Denver in April. Its not un-common for a spring snow storm to dump 1-2 feet or more in March or April here.

Hi Mary! Good luck to you. I have a couple of tips that may help, if you plan to check your luggage...

First, make sure you have a complete change of clothes in your carry-on, along with prescriptions, cosmetics, etc.. Also, "cross-pack" with your traveling companions. Everyone puts (at least) one set of clothing in someone else's checked bag. That way, even if one person's luggage gets lost, at least they'll have a few things stashed in someone else's bag.

Let us know how it goes!

Well I seriously over do it.

Our first cruise we flew in the night before. It was just me and my husband. But since then the last two cruises and next one sail out of Port Canaveral with the boys.

The last two we flew in 3 days early and went to Disney. Our next one we are going a week early and going to Disney. We cruise in the winter and fly out of Toronto. If I am spending around $2000 CDN to get my family to Florida I figure I will make the most of it and get in a Disney vacation before my cruise!

Good luck, contemplating a day of arrival and you just made me go back to the day before.

Thanks Janice. This will definitely be a lesson for me that I wont forget. I dont know I just figured its not going to be so bad to do. I NEVER usually do this. lol

If it makes you uncomfortable to fly in the day of a cruise, next time book earlier. It doesn't bother me, and I have done it maybe 30 times or so without a problem.

From NY, I can fly non stop direct with carry on luggage to MIA, FLL, or MSY, I take the earliest flight out that morning, winter or summer, doesn't matter.

I've been at the airport with a confirmed seat and watched people yelling to get on a flight because theirs was cancelled the day before and they must get to their cruise today. It's all a crap shoot when bad weather, equipment failure, or staff shortages occur

I have morning flights for my next 3 cruises beginning in MIA, MSY, and SJU and I won't lose any sleep about it. We're all different, so do what's best for you. My experience won't help you and your experience won't change mine.

I've only had to fly once to cruise and we did the day of. It was our first cruise, so we really don't know a whole lot. If I ever have to fly again, I will be going at least 1 day before. The stress is awful.

I've only had to fly once to cruise and we did the day of. It was our first cruise, so we really don't know a whole lot. If I ever have to fly again, I will be going at least 1 day before. The stress is awful.

Okay I have talked with Carnival about my situation and they assured me that if it is cancelled to call them and let them know and they will take care of getting me therer. So here's hoping this will all turn out okay,

But you are right the stress is awful.

I actually flew out from JFK to MSY back in September. I originally was booked to fly from DCA the day before the flight, but a bachelor party in NYC had me change my plans.

I was nervous, as there were remnants of a tropical storm set to hit the NYC area that Sunday I was flying out. Luckily, I had an early flight, and had no issues/delays. Most of my cruises I have flown in the morning of, and to different ports (Port Canaveral, Galveston, etc.)

I actually had more issues one time I booked to fly in the night before the cruise. I was booked to fly into FLL for my Glory cruise in January, and that was the day of the FLL shooting. My flight ended up cancelled, and luckily I was able to rebook on a flight to Orlando (for no charge, thank you Southwest) and catch a ride down to Miami with a friend.

Even if you plan ahead, sometimes plans will change, and there's not really anything you can do about it. Best of luck, and enjoy your cruise!

I always fly in the day before. I have to come all the way from CA to MD and no way do I trust not having a delay. It helps I don't have to pay for hotels since we stay with family. I just don't want to start my cruise out in a rush to the Cruise terminal.

I was on a March cruise out of Barcelona and flew in from TX two days early. But my daughter's work gave her grief for taking time off and she couldn't fly out early. She had a non-stop flight out of JFK that was landing in Barcelona at 10 am, so lots of time before the 6 pm sailaway. However, she had huge traffic problems getting out of Jersey and almost missed the flight. She was texting me while on the bus to JFK giving me the play by play and it was so extremely stressful for both of us, I could not go to sleep until I knew her butt was on the plane. She did end up getting her luggage checked in 10 minutes before the luggage cut off time and made her flight ok. But I would never have her do that again.