Cleaning of rooms

blakeamy

Do you ever wonder how well they actually clean the rooms between guests? Our room was ready when we boarded, but the toilet was visibly dirty. Our room was serviced that night, and yet the toilet remained visibly dirty. We finally met the room steward the next day, and we told him about the urine drips and the curly black hair. He didn't seem at all surprised or apologetic, he just said he would take care of it. I wonder what else he neglected to clean. I have lost my faith in the cabin stewards and will start packing my own Lysol spray and Clorox wipes.

And yet, you did not escalate this to Guest Services? :confused:

No, it was eventually taken care of. I guess I have a fear of them using my toothbrush to then clean the toilet :eek:. I've watched too many hidden camera shows. :o

I think the majority of the time, the rooms are cleaned well. I have been on a few back to back cruises and always stay in the same room, so I have been in the hall during the turnover time. I usually see all of the beds completely stripped down, washing the walls and closet doors from top to bottom, vacuuming, etc. I still bring a pack of wipes to clean door knobs, light switches, etc just for my own piece of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No, it was eventually taken care of. I guess I have a fear of them using my toothbrush to then clean the toilet :eek:. I've watched too many hidden camera shows. :o

This right here tells me everything anyone needs to know about the "question" being asked.

I have brought Clorox wipes and cleaner and it's the first thing I do when I get into cabin. Completely clean every surface. I am completely grossed out by the fact that someone else was inhabiting the cabin just a few short hours ago. I know hotels are probably not any different but to be honest I don't think hotels have quite the turnover that the cruise ships do. I have had faster to the fun for both my cruises and knowing someone vacated 830 and here it is 1130 and the room is ready? Just don't know how good they can get it clean in such a short time with so many to clean.

I also bring my own pillows and blankets.

After seeing some of the people onboard I just think, "eww what if one of the grungy looking groups were in here last cruise", Not everyone is as fastidious as I am. So I don't leave it to chance and always do a thorough clean as soon as I board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bring Clorox wipes to disinfect the bathroom. I don't do the whole cabin. The reason I do this i took a cruise about 18 months ago and when I walked into the bathroom and there were 10 toenails and curly blonde hair all over the floor I Immediately called housekeeping and no one came. It was around 12 midnight. I went to Guest Services which was closed. I found the steward in the morning, promised to clean it better. Came back about noon and the bed was made but no bathroom cleanup. Back to Guest Services and it was finally taken care if. Since that cruise I disinfect the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last cruise was on the Victory in early April and the room wasn't very clean. Drawers had hair in them, garbage bin had trash when we boarded and the corners of the room could have been vacuumed.

After meeting the steward, found out he was leaving in a couple of weeks. If you ask me, he had switched to vacation mode by the time we got on.

I noticed this is becoming a trend on the Carnival forum, hope they address it soon. My next cruise is on the Vista, let's see how that goes when we get there.

This is disgusting to read. Have my first Carnival cruise booked for January.

We have done 34 Carnival cruises, the latest being the Vista in April and never had this happen.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is disgusting to read. Have my first Carnival cruise booked for January.

Don't worry, unless you are a germaphobe, generally the stewards do a great job. The biggest problem is some people are afraid to speak up. I always get put down on this board because I speak up. I guess this offends some people. I first try to work it out with my room steward and then go to a supervisor if he did not respond to my request. Saying someone is going to use your toothbrush, or a cook is spit on your food is absurd. I have been in the food service business for 40 years, never seen anything like TV or the movies.

I have found our rooms to be as clean as any hotel. But I am not a germaphobe - far from it. I always wonder - if you worry about someone previously occupying the room, do you worry about someone's backside on a lido chair? Or what happened at the table just before you sat down?

I'm not judging - if you worry about germs then you are probably just wired that way. I however of the take reasonable standards mindset and let it go. And on this front as another poster said, watching change over there is the Clorox bucket and all linens changed. They wipe everything down.

If it worries you, take wipes.

I suspicion that most rooms get cleaned thoroughly. The last thing they want is an outbreak of roto virus. I know the kitchen is immaculate after booking chefs table several times. At the same time I'd wager there are some things that get overlooked. We are human, you know.

What I cannot tolerate is a clogged drain. Has happened a few times but always fixed when reported.

I will say that I have seen the stewards clean all hard surfaces with disinfectant between cruises. I usually find a pretty good clean cabin. However when I cruise I always bring a flashlight and inspect for bedbugs just a thing I'm weird about. Usually the carpets are really dusty in corners and baseboards and under the beds are usually dusty.

I wonder if tile would be good for rooms instead of carpet?

What I cannot tolerate is a clogged drain. Has happened a few times but always fixed when reported.

We've had several cabins with some sort of deferred maintenance- slow drains, whistling doors, iced over fridges etc. Sometimes we wonder how long the issue wasn't reported. Our fridge had about 2" of ice in it.

Did have one gross thing, a drawer full of hair that must have fallen out of a comb. Left the drawer open, it was cleaned when we got back.

What's interesting is that most of the issues have been on Princess.

I imagine on the first morning after folks debark they are pushed for time, but that's no excuse. You did right by telling your

room steward about the problem and he did take care of it. I do not like to escalate problems unless you have to. I also tip

a little extra if the room steward does a great job, if not, no extra.

We bring Clorox wipes and surgery unit wipes, and start with balcony furniture, door handles, all surfaces, and bathroom fixtures - we do this the first thing in our suite, several times we've come home with horrible colds. Bhopefully this helps.

Our room was ready when we boarded, but the toilet was visibly dirty. Our room was serviced that night, and yet the toilet remained visibly dirty.

I would have just cleaned it myself. There's a toilet brush right next to the toilet. It would take less than a minute to do it and then I wouldn't see it any more. Granted, it should have been taken care of before you got to your cabin but I'm one of those people that would light a candle instead of cursing the darkness.

We bring Clorox wipes and surgery unit wipes, and start with balcony furniture, door handles, all surfaces, and bathroom fixtures - we do this the first thing in our suite, several times we've come home with horrible colds. Bhopefully this helps.

Do you move on to the rest of th ship once done?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In 20 or so cruises we have never had an issue with cleanliness. But then neither of us is a germaphobe. We do not go looking for problems and have yet to encounter a visibly dirty stateroom. Clorox, Lysol and such is vile. The smell is nauseating. I have a healthy immune system and let it do its job.

For those that do feel compelled to clean their stateroom, how do you deal with the rest of the ship when not in your room?

Edited by cruzeluver
spelling