First time River Cruiser

astoriagreek

I would always take a foldable lightweight rain jacket. You might get rainy days and will feel more comfortable with a jacket than with carrying an umbrella. You could check the weather online as you go along. I put in Vienna for you as an example: http://www.accuweather.com/en/at/vienna/31868/daily-weather-forecast/31868?day=1 four days out the weather forecast is quite accurate, up to 10 days in advance it is still a good estimate. After that it becomes a bit more changeable to what is predicted.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

going on the Viking Romantic Danube cruise in a couple of weeks. what is the typical weather and what clothing is a must besides the obvious comfortable. Do we need to bring rain gear?

Hello there,

We did the Blue Danube Discoveries with Avalon, in the last week of June/16 & had great weather. No rain as such, but did catch a cold, while braving the cool breeze on the sun deck even with the sun shining, during one of our 2, 4 hours or so of sea/river days. Light jacket will be fine. If it rains, umbreallas are provided by Avalon.

Enjoy.

Hello there,

We did the Blue Danube Discoveries with Avalon, in the last week of June/16 & had great weather. No rain as such, but did catch a cold, while braving the cool breeze on the sun deck even with the sun shining, during one of our 2, 4 hours or so of sea/river days. Light jacket will be fine. If it rains, umbreallas are provided by Avalon.

Enjoy.

Bring your own umbrella too. While Viking will provide you a large umbrella that will really help keep you dry, it's very heavy. We almost always passed on taking one. A light weight umbrella is usually much more practical.

Take waterproof shoes!

Second seating

Waterproof shoes are hot and heavy. Make my feet blister and don't offer the same support as my good walking shoes.

Roz

Waterproof shoes are hot and heavy. Make my feet blister and don't offer the same support as my good walking shoes.

Roz

Many walking shoes come in regular and GoreTex versions. I bought one of each from Merrill and wore them out so have just replaced with another set. They fit the same (the GoreTex feels slightly tighter because the fabric is stiffer), and are not hot and heavy like waterproof shoes used to be.

Not always doable, but recommended.

We had a record amount of rain here yesterday, and with a few more days in May we are close to double the monthly average. There is too much water around for the ground to absorb it, so there are lots of puddles.

Also looking at taking our first river cruise.....are the excursion packages extra?

Liquor? ......included?

Is there a certain time you have to be on board every evening when they stay in port?

Food?.......Just one venue for meals?

Thanks in advance

Also looking at taking our first river cruise.....are the excursion packages extra?

Liquor? ......included?

Is there a certain time you have to be on board every evening when they stay in port?

Thanks in advance

First question. Which cruise line are you interested in?

If it's viking, I can help. Otherwise I can't. Only been on Viking.

Liquor? ......included?

Thanks in advance

For Viking.

One excursion included free per day.

Beer and wine free at lunch and dinner.

All ships of all lines usually leave at some point in the afternoon or evening and this changes every day.

For Viking.

One excursion included free per day.

Beer and wine free at lunch and dinner.

All ships of all lines usually leave at some point in the afternoon or evening and this changes every day.

Thanks

Viking is probably our first choice although we're looking at Avalon as well

Are you allowed to bring liquor on board?

First question. Which cruise line are you interested in?

If it's viking, I can help. Otherwise I can't. Only been on Viking.

And wouldn't it be nice if everyone answered that way [emoji56][emoji3]

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Thanks

Yes on Viking. You can bring whatever you would like. If you bring wine, you can have it at dinner. There is no corkage fee like there is on many ocean cruises. And I have been told that if you bring a bottle of liquor, you can leave it with the bartender and they will mark it with your name and make your drinks with it.

On our Viking cruise, we brought cognac but kept it in our room for nightcaps.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Thanks

If you like to drink often at times other than lunch and dinner, Viking offers a "Silver Spirits Package". For a few hundred dollars/Euros, it gives you unlimited drinks at any time and upgraded wine choices at dinner.

But, since we don't drink, this is second knowledge. Should double check details if interested.

Thanks

Avalon you are allowed to bring liquor on board. I purchased some regional specialties to bring home as souvenirs, not drink on board. Since wine and beer is included at lunch and dinner we didn't feel the need to drink more than that. Occasionally we'd have a pre or post dinner cocktail but not every night and they were reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums