Wi-fi on Grand Princess - how do I use it?

PTMary

My hubby and I will be on Grand Princess to Alaska in a couple of weeks. Although I have read up on Verizon's cruise ship information and have read posts regarding internet use on these forums, my non-technical, geriatric brain is still having a difficult time understanding what we should do regarding text messages, emails and the occasional phone call. My hubby has an Android Samsung S8, and I have an iPhone 7. We both use Verizon.

While in US ports, we know we will be able to use our phones as we normally would do here at home. But, it is while on the ship that we aren't sure how best to use our phones. Only three of the 10 days are in US ports, with one short visit to a Canadian port, so the majority of the time we will have to use the ship's communication technology.

We would like to send and receive texts, some with photos we may take along the way. We will most likely be receiving the usual amount of emails as we normally do at home - perhaps a couple of dozen per day between us on our Yahoo email accounts. We may receive calls - we have no control over those - but will probably not be making them while on the ship.

What should we do? Just text, email and phone normally, and let Verizon charge us for this usage?

Sign up for an internet plan on board? How do we connect our phones to the plan?

What about wi-fi? How do we use that? Do we leave our phones on all the time? Or do we turn them on only when we want to send or receive messages? Do we leave our phones on but turn wi-fi on and off as needed? How do we use "Airplane mode", and when should we turn it off?

Sorry for all the questions? I am quite uncertain as to the best approach to take. We have never been on a cruise along the US coast line before, so we don't know how cell phone use differs than in Europe, it it is different at all. Typically we just turn our phones off for the duration of the cruise, but being off the US coast most of the time we are tempted to make use of our phones.

Thank you to anyone who can teach us how to use our phones in the most economical way possible.

Having just returned from a 15 day Hawaiian cruise and only 4 of the 15 days were in a U.S. port, I had to learn to put my phone in a drawer as I brought a laptop too. As far as WiFi goes, that's simple. Once on the ship, you will switch your device to the Grand Princess WiFi and when you click the internet, the Princess@Sea page will come up. You will have to identify yourself and that will become your portal for everything. PLEASE REMEMBER to type LOGOUT.COM in the URL (top of page) and hit enter. That will stop your minutes from being used up accidentally. On board the person in the internet cafe will help you with all your concerns. Enjoy your trip!

While on ship, your phones will most likely see the ship cell tower as the nearest tower to connect to. So contact Verizon and ask what your plan rates will be to connect via data/voice/text over this tower. Be aware that each ship is listed as its own separate 'country' and you will be subject to those rates. Last time I checked it was ~2.50 per minute voice, 50 cents per text and I don't remember the data rates. That is too costly for most people, who just turn their phones off onboard.

Then check out the price of the ship wifi plans. If you choose to use the wifi plan, you will need to set up an account onboard and log on and log off each time you use the wifi access. Be sure to turn your phones to Airplane mode and then turn wifi on...otherwise you will also turn on the cell tower and be using data and perhaps receiving calls at the same time. Depending on the plan you choose, wifi starts at about 35 cents a minute.

The cheapest and easiest thing is to turn phones off onboard and just turn them back on when on land. If that doesn't work for you, you will have to decide if you wish to use cell tower connection or wifi connection and which one is the better one for you to connect with.

Also, you should check with Verizon regarding your day in Canada. Canada is generally not included in US plans, but depending on what plan you have there may be a reasonably priced day rate that you can sign up for in advance.

It sounds as if you are a non-technical person. However, you may still want to try this:

Contact Verizon (perhaps go into the store) and ask specifically if your phones can do WiFi calling. If so, you "should" be able to put your phones into Airplane Mode and then turn the WiFi back on. This will keep you from using horrendously expensive ship data/phone service and still allow you to access the WiFi onboard. If all works out you should then be able to make phone calls over WiFi rather than connecting to the ship's cell service.

If you aren't Platinum you will have to purchase Internet time on the cruise in order to use WiFi for most things. The exception is using Princess@Sea which is free to use. Princess@Sea allows one to view the Patter (or at least most of it) and check your onboard expenses (your daily folio) on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.

I tested WiFi calling here at home (turned off my data and then made a call anyway using WiFi calling) and it worked well for me. I'll be trying it out on our upcoming vacation that will take us through Canada where Verizon is only available with roaming fees. In theory, it will work great and calls won't cost anything. If it works out as I expect it to do on that trip we will use it on our next cruise and actually be able to "phone home" from Tahiti at no extra cost. (We are Platinum so we get free WiFi minutes onboard.)

Also, once on the ship you can go to the Internet cafe and one of the support folks can help you set up the Princess wi-fi -- unless it's urgent, you may want to wait until the 2nd day to do so as they're generally pretty busy the first day.

It sounds as if you are a non-technical person.

Yep, You have described me accurately!

However, you may still want to try this:

Contact Verizon (perhaps go into the store) and ask specifically if your phones can do WiFi calling. If so, you "should" be able to put your phones into Airplane Mode and then turn the WiFi back on. This will keep you from using horrendously expensive ship data/phone service and still allow you to access the WiFi onboard. If all works out you should then be able to make phone calls over WiFi rather than connecting to the ship's cell service.

Thanks for the tip. Both of our phones are WiFi calling capable.

If you aren't Platinum you will have to purchase Internet time on the cruise in order to use WiFi for most things. The exception is using Princess@Sea which is free to use. Princess@Sea allows one to view the Patter (or at least most of it) and check your onboard expenses (your daily folio) on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.

Princess@Sea is the name Princess uses for Wi-Fi access, both for the paid features and the free features.

Checking the Patter and your onboard account is the free part and is over the ships Intranet.

The paid part is for using the Ship's Internet connection. However, Princess.com can be accessed for free on the Internet. Just do not go to it while you are signed into the Internet.

You asked about airplane mode. On your iPhone just go to settings. It is the first thing listed. Just press the little circle to the right. What that does is enable you to use things that are already downloaded on your phone but STOP anything incoming through a cell tower (phone calls, texts, updates, etc). You use this also while on an airplane. While in this mode you can turn on wifi. That is just below airplane mode. Just click the circle to the right. As long as you are signed into Princess at sea for your ship you can get on the internet (although you have to login through Princess at sea as others have mentioned).

If you are logged into the internet through Princess and calling someone else with an apple device you can use FaceTime or iMessage as it will go through wifi. I don't know how you would make a call through the internet.

You may also want to disable your data roaming.

Yes, that is ALL you have to do to avoid either using your data allowance or receiving a large bill from your phone provider. You do NOT have to put your phone on Flight mode or turn it off. If you want people to be able to contact you or send/receive texts you shouldn't put your phone on Flight mode. Receiving/making calls and texts is more expensive than on land but all I do is leave the phone on with data roaming off and if I receive a call I see who it is before answering. If it's not urgent or I'm not wanting to incur larger costs I don't answer. Sometimes I send a text back stating I am away.

However if you want to be easily contactable, even for emergencies, just do what I have stated above. The panic/misinformation I read on here about phone costs is interesting to say the least.

Leck57, perhaps things work differently on your Australian calling plan. There have been some real, genuinely expensive costs associated with using text or calling while on a ship. At 50 cents per text and 2.95-5.00 per minute (typical US plan rates) for calling or voicemail, including that from spam callers, it can add up to serious money pretty quickly. Calling it panic/misinformation is cavalier.

Each user needs to educate themself on what their costs will be for their carrier, for their phone plan, when using each type of communication. Text/calling/data.

While on board don't hesitate to discuss any problem you may be having with the internet cafe crew member. I have always found them to be extremely helpful. Also talk to him/her about logging off because typing in logout.com seems to have changed. It was not the way we were told to out on our recent cruise to Hawaii. Just make sure you do it correctly otherwise it will very quickly eat up your minutes.

Yes' date=' that is ALL you have t either using your data allowance or receiving a large bill from your phone provider. You do NOT have to put your phone on Flight mode or turn it off.[/b'] If you want people to be able to contact you or send/receive texts you shouldn't put your phone on Flight mode. Receiving/making calls and texts is more expensive than on land but all I do is leave the phone on with data roaming off and if I receive a call I see who it is before answering. If it's not urgent or I'm not wanting to incur larger costs I don't answer. Sometimes I send a text back stating I am away.

However if you want to be easily contactable, even for emergencies, just do what I have stated above. The panic/misinformation I read on here about phone costs is interesting to say the least.

The reason many people (myself included) recommend putting the device into airplane mode and then re-enabling WiFi is that many don't know how to simply disable data. They do know how to enter airplane mode and the usually also can figure out how to re-enable WiFi. It's the "just disable data" thing many have a problem with. While the advice give may seem overkill and redundant (which, of course, it is) it is easier for many people to follow.

We just got off a cruise that went to Canada. We have Verizon. We put our phone in airplane mode after leaving U.S. ports and used the ship WiFi for communication. It was very convenient for onboard communication. When we got to Canada, we had a text from Verizon "Want to use your Talk/Text/Data plan allowance on this trip? Reply "Yes" and pay $5/day only on the days you use with TravelPass. If not, data is $2.05/IMB." Our plan has unlimited text/talk and a limit on the data. They sent a confirmation after you opt in "TravelPass is now active on this number. You 'll pay $5/day only on the days you use talk, text or data on this trip. So there's no need to opt out.". I was skeptical at first but texted "yes". I kept asking my husband is that $5 in addition to other charges. It ended up being $5 per day for the plan (both my husband and I texted "yes" so I thought it would be $10 per day). I just checked my bill and that's what Verizon charged. I'm sure it depends on your plan. You should call Verizon if you want to know for sure but for us, it was exacted what they texted us and it wasn't per phone but per plan. I was very pleased since I thought in Canada, I'd have to wait until I got to the hotel to use WiFi.

Leck57, perhaps things work differently on your Australian calling plan. There have been some real, genuinely expensive costs associated with using text or calling while on a ship. At 50 cents per text and 2.95-5.00 per minute (typical US plan rates) for calling or voicemail, including that from spam callers, it can add up to serious money pretty quickly. Calling it panic/misinformation is cavalier.

Each user needs to educate themself on what their costs will be for their carrier, for their phone plan, when using each type of communication. Text/calling/data.

No, things are much the same with our Australian plans, in fact the call and text charges are higher than you mention. That wasn't my point as I said you just don't answer or text if you are worried about costs. However if you put your phone into flight mode you receive nothing and no one can get a text or call through immediately if they need you. The main reason for the spike in costs is from not disabling mobile data. As I said people are panicked by what they read on here when a simple activity in disabling data is all it takes.

The reason many people (myself included) recommend putting the device into airplane mode and then re-enabling WiFi is that many don't know how to simply disable data. They do know how to enter airplane mode and the usually also can figure out how to re-enable WiFi. It's the "just disable data" thing many have a problem with. While the advice give may seem overkill and redundant (which, of course, it is) it is easier for many people to follow.

Point taken Thrak, however if anyone wants to know how to disable data it's usually two actions. Go to settings then you'll see data usage, tap that and something like "mobile data" will appear. Tap that and and on/off option will appear, or you may get that option on the previous screen. Slide to or select off. And I'm a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff but I learnt the hard way.

I just find it really frustrating when people on here, albeit with good intentions, scare people with their horror stories, when all we have to do is ask the kids!

... That wasn't my point as I said you just don't answer or text if you are worried about costs...
How do you control whether someone leaves a long voicemail if you do not answer? Those are charged at the per minute calling rate.