Drinking water availability

CalgaryMac

We are going on our first cruise with Princess (Coral Princess in November 2017 and Star princess in April 2018). We have traveled with Disney in the past and found that they had chilled/filtered water available at the beverage stations. Could anyone let me know what Princess does to provide drinking water. We would prefer to use our own bottles rather than buy a water package (kind of expensive). Thanks!

No need to buy water. The water on the ship is as pure or even purer than what you get at home. Yes, they have water dispensers at the beverage stations and all of the bars.

There are water dispensers at the beverage stations in the Horizon Court Buffet. Not chilled but the ice dispenser is adjacent. Proper hygiene is to fill up a cup and then pour it into your personal water bottle.

Of course there is always the option of refilling your bottles in your cabin sink and keeping them cool in the fridge. The water from your bathroom sink is already purer than pretty much all municipal water ashore; no need for it to be "filtered". But if that is essential to you, Princess allows you to pre-purchase a 12 bottle water pack for $6.90--one of the most reasonably priced at sea."Kind of expensive" in that it is not 40 for $4 from your local Big Box, but a large discount over buying singly.

No need to buy water. The water on the ship is as pure or even purer than what you get at home. Yes, they have water dispensers at the beverage stations and all of the bars.

Thanks - that is great to know

Just bring a reusable water bottle that you can wash out with hot water and soap between refills.

By the way, on my last two Princess cruises, after watching me make numerous trips back and forth with glasses of ice and water to fill my clean bottle on the first morning, the staff would come and take my bottle and bring it back filled every morning and at lunch.

Yes the water on the ship is good to drink. But I also like to pre-order water from the ship to take on excursions . It's waiting in your room when you board and I think it was 6 or 7 dollars for a 12 pack? It was worth it. I had to tell everyone to save them for the excursions....don't just drink it in the cabin. No one is used to drinking water straight from the tap at home unless it's reverse osmosis.

I agree about the ship's water.

As stated in other posts another option would be...........

Ordering the bottled water pre cruise is a great option.

It's only available pre cruise so if you want it be safe and order it at least 7 days prior to the cruise. :)

12 bottles for $6.90.

It will be in your cabin upon arrival.

I buy the water package. The bottles are just the right size to use with the individual crystal lites packets. I like the fruit punch. I drink that in the afternoon in our cabin. I don't have to measure the water, or wash a bottle, just pour it in. I also might take a bottle of water when we are out and about on the ship. I will also have one ice tea at lunch. After that it is water, decaf ice tea (which I will make in the HC) and rarely I will drink a Sprit 0

Your options have already been covered & I can only add that we bring a 20 oz Brita wide mouth (2") reusable plastic water bottle. It comes with a built in water filter which isn't necessary for the pure shipboard water but like at home it's something we do with all tap water.

The 2" wide mouth makes it possible to add ice from a buffet drink station glass & to pour water into my water bottle to immediately have cold water & not having to chill water from the cabin's sink in the fridge.

We also order the 12-pack of half liter bottles for $6.90 to have additional water in ports when unfamiliar with the country's water quality.

Make sure your steward fills your ice bucket in the evening and use the melted water to fill your water bottle. We take two empty bottles from home to use to carry water. We always empty at the end of the day before re-boarding.

Make sure your steward fills your ice bucket in the evening and use the melted water to fill your water bottle. We take two empty bottles from home to use to carry water. We always empty at the end of the day before re-boarding.
Besides the fact that Princess distills water onboard, it is also good to know that the ice buckets are washed and sanitized, making melted water safe to drink.

When leaving the ship for onshore activities, we will mostly buy new bottles of water, as we don't bring soap to sanitize bottles between use.

We typically bring insulated water bottles to fill, as plastic bottles (Crystal Geyser, et al.) rapidly go to room temperature. In Cartagena last moth, that was over 80 degrees. The water dispensers in Horizon Court caution that you cannot refill your own bottle there; it is a sanitation issue.

The water dispensers in Horizon Court caution that you cannot refill your own bottle there

Do they not allow you to fill a cup and pour into your bottle, using a fresh cup each time? That is 3 cups for a 3 cup bottle.

The water from your bathroom sink is already purer than pretty much all municipal water ashore; no need for it to be "filtered".

My water at home doesn't smell like diesel fuel.

Sometimes chlorine, but never diesel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51871437&postcount=6

I think the water on ships is fine, but I'd sure like to see posters who claim the water is wonderful

back up their claims with some links to water analysis reports.

Ice water is available EVERYWHERE....every bar, every eating venue and your cabin. The water that you get is the same water that is in your food, beverages and ice. It's fine and dandy...clean and healthy. It's H2O..water. It's what your body needs. There is no charge for water...folks get all confused about water...your body needs H2O...as long as there isn't bacteria in it (and there is no bacteria in the ship's water), you body is fine with water...or H2O....Hydrogen, oxygen...that's it!

Bottled water is no different than what you get on the ship, or from your tap at home, or anywhere!

Here's a link to another thread discussing water quality & sanitation procedures on cruise ships.

The posts by an experienced cruise ship chief engineer (chengkp75) are very credible to me just like all of his other informative posts about ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2489331&highlight=water

Here's a link to another thread discussing water quality & sanitation procedures on cruise ships.

The posts by an experienced cruise ship chief engineer (chengkp75) are very credible to me just like all of his other informative posts about ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2489331&highlight=water

Frank you know these credible facts will never be enough for some as always.

If they had to believe it then they couldn't stir that pot and complain about the posts of others. :rolleyes:

Frank you know these facts will never be enough for some as always.

If they had to believe it then they couldn't stir that pot and complain about the posts of others. :rolleyes:

True...some are unwilling to accept facts from an experienced cruise ship chief engineer. :rolleyes:

Happily, the water (without buying bottled) on Princess is completely safe to drink ... we've been drinking it for decades. :D

Don't lie LuLu your not that old. :D :D. You are right the water is very good.

Tony

No need to even go to a bar-- bring a reusable water bottle and you are good to go. The water is exactly the same throughout the ship, including the water used in your bathroom.

"The tap water on cruise ships is completely safe and drinkable, having been through rigorous filtration and testing, all of which are overseen by U.S. and European heath agencies. While some cruisers claim that the tap water in restaurants and bars tastes different from what comes out of the cabin bathroom, it is all, in fact, the same water."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1475

My water at home doesn't smell like diesel fuel.

Sometimes chlorine, but never diesel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51871437&postcount=6

I think the water on ships is fine, but I'd sure like to see posters who claim the water is wonderful

back up their claims with some links to water analysis reports.

I won't dispute what that poster claimed, because I was not there, and neither were you, so whether or not there actually was diesel in the water is unproven.

And while I do not have water quality reports, the USPH does monitor the water quality on the ships, and the records of tests taken must be kept for review by the USPH inspectors. Water is tested monthly, at six random locations around the ship, for clarity, Ph, chlorine, and bacteria, as well as the tanks being tested monthly. In addition, the chlorine content for water being loaded in port, the water being produced onboard, and the water circulating around the ship is continually monitored and recorded on charts, for review by USPH inspectors. The water sources used to load water in ports must be tested (at the hydrant being used, not at the municipal facility) every month for it to be considered safe to use, and the ship requests and keeps copies of these shore testing results.

Similarly, the required design and construction of potable water systems, as mandated not only by USPH, but by the classification societies requires that there is no cross-connection from any other system onboard the ship, so introduction of diesel fuel into the water is highly unlikely. To further this, every water outlet on the ship has a "backflow preventer" to keep possibly contaminated water from flowing back into the ship's piping system when that system is depressurized. These water outlets include: every toilet, every shower (shower heads are a source of legionella), every dishwashing machine, every laundry machine, and every hose faucet on deck. Think about your home and whether or not you have these protective devices, and whether they are tested on an annual basis, as the thousands of backflow preventers on the ship have to be.

And while I do not have water quality reports, the USPH does monitor the water quality on the ships, and the records of tests taken must be kept for review by the USPH inspectors. Water is tested monthly, at six random locations around the ship, for clarity, Ph, chlorine, and bacteria, as well as the tanks being tested monthly.

Sounds excellent.

The part I question is posts blithely claiming that shipboard water is better than what anyone has at home.

To state this, they would have to know what EVERYONE has at home, and its quality.

Not at all likely that they have any basis for this.

Most of the posts are "I like princess, therefore the water is fantastic. Rah. Rah. Rah."

(except for your posts, which are well reasoned)