Change decks?

I'm booked for a deck 10 spa balcony, but originally wanted a lower level due to concerns about motion sickness. I see there are openings on lower decks, but will Carnival let you change to a lower deck and lower priced room? Also, is there much motion sickness problem? I sailed deck 7 on Conquest my first cruise and had no problems but not sure about upper decks. I think Sunshine is a bigger ship. Maybe there won't be any problems with motion.

You did not specify under what fare you booked or if you're past final payment so that will kind of influence the answers you get. Generally, if you're outside your final payment date you can make such a change but it will likely be considered a cancellation and re-booking and the new reservation will be under the current prevailing rates and perks (if any).

You did not specify under what fare you booked or if you're past final payment so that will kind of influence the answers you get. Generally, if you're outside your final payment date you can make such a change but it will likely be considered a cancellation and re-booking and the new reservation will be under the current prevailing rates and perks (if any).

Final payment is not due until Oct. and we are booked under past guest. What do you think about the deck change? We haven't cruised but once, so not sure about deck 10. Any thoughts?

Folks who are prone to getting seasick can have that issue on any ship.

It sounds like you didn't get seasick on your last cruise so unless there is a storm with rough water you probably won't get seasick on your next cruise no matter where your cabin is located.

DH and I are prone to seasickness but we take meds for it and are fine.

Even we are trying a Deck 10 spa balcony on our next cruise as the meds seem to work well for us.

You can change no problems. No cancel and rebook, no penalties with Past Guest Rate. However, you will be repriced at whatever that going rate is and if you had OBC and the new rate doesn't, that will go away.

If you are worried about motion sickness, then the lower and the more midship you are, the better. Also make sure to see what is above and below you no matter where you are.

Final payment is not due until Oct. and we are booked under past guest. What do you think about the deck change? We haven't cruised but once, so not sure about deck 10. Any thoughts?

We have honestly never stayed in a cabin at or above Lido deck, always below (deck 8 or 7) or that far forward so I cannot answer in terms of ship movement at that level. However, that deck is somewhat desirable due to it's proximity to the Lido deck and Spa. If it were me, I would not be terribly concerned about sea sickness on deck 10 especially since you had no problems on your previous cruise (albeit on a lower deck). :)

You can change no problems. No cancel and rebook, no penalties with Past Guest Rate. However, you will be repriced at whatever that going rate is and if you had OBC and the new rate doesn't, that will go away.

If you are worried about motion sickness, then the lower and the more midship you are, the better. Also make sure to see what is above and below you no matter where you are.

Hi FBW. So, if the change results in a reprice at the current rate and they may lose any perks from the original booking that are no longer available, how is that not (essentially) a re-book? Yeah, they probably keep the original reservation number but that's all. Maybe I'm splitting hairs (what few I have left)?? ;)

Hi FBW. So, if the change results in a reprice at the current rate and they may lose any perks from the original booking that are no longer available, how is that not (essentially) a re-book? Yeah, they probably keep the original reservation number but that's all. Maybe I'm splitting hairs (what few I have left)?? ;)

Hahahahaha! They do keep the same reservation number so they won't be canceling the cruise, getting the deposit back, and then using that deposit to book another cruise. They will just simply change cabins. I've done this myself. It's no different than if you move up a category because they have Past Guest Rate. "Cancel and rebook" means (at least to me and I believe Carnival as well) the previously mentioned things would be the opposite. Yes they will be repriced because they are changing the category of cabin and won't be grandfathered in to whatever the prices may have been when they originally booked. Current prices/specials prevail.

But essentially, yes, it is like they are starting over with the exception of their deposit and booking number remains.

Hope this makes sense.

Hahahahaha! They do keep the same reservation number so they won't be canceling the cruise, getting the deposit back, and then using that deposit to book another cruise. They will just simply change cabins. I've done this myself. It's no different than if you move up a category because they have Past Guest Rate. "Cancel and rebook" means (at least to me and I believe Carnival as well) the previously mentioned things would be the opposite. Yes they will be repriced because they are changing the category of cabin and won't be grandfathered in to whatever the prices may have been when they originally booked. Current prices/specials prevail.

Hope this makes sense.

Yeah it does and thanks for the comprehensive reply. I guess I just look at it in terms of what's different between what I had on the original booking and what I have after the change. If it's significant, then it's "almost" like I cancelled and re-booked. Tomatoes... tomahhtoes.... it's all the same I guess. :)

Edit: sorry to take over the OP's post with semantics. Although I think he/she got some good answers.

Edited by joepeka

I was on Deck 11 and forward on the Dream on my last cruise and the movement wasn't bad at all on that cruise. We take Ginger Root Capsules to help prevent any seasickness. If you didn't get sick before you may be perfectly fine in the cabin that you have booked.

If it's very rough, the upper decks, particularly the ends of the ship FEEL the motion more. But, if it's that rough, you'll feel the motion everywhere. If it's not rough, then it's all good.

You will only be in the cabin to sleep, for the most part. I wouldn't worry about it. There are medications that really work, if you should start feeling bad.

I'm booked for a deck 10 spa balcony, but originally wanted a lower level due to concerns about motion sickness. I see there are openings on lower decks, but will Carnival let you change to a lower deck and lower priced room? Also, is there much motion sickness problem? I sailed deck 7 on Conquest my first cruise and had no problems but not sure about upper decks. I think Sunshine is a bigger ship. Maybe there won't be any problems with motion.

If you encounter rough seas it does not matter what deck you are on.

On our last few cruises we've been on deck 10 or higher and we love it, especially the spa decks. The spa decks tend to have fewer kids, probably because the spa is for those 18 and over. It's just quieter and close to the spa with their free huge walk-in showers. And the Lido deck with all the food and pools are close by. The first time we tried such a high deck we were worried about feeling the motion too. But we never felt the movement and were pleasantly surprised. :)

I sailed deck 7 on Conquest my first cruise and had no problems but not sure about upper decks. I think Sunshine is a bigger ship. Maybe there won't be any problems with motion.

The Conquest is larger than the Sunshine.