Ruby Princess Patter Alaska

tracid

How was your cruise DuckFan04? We sail July 1 on ruby! Can you tell me if you had two formal nights? If you went to any is a tie and button down shirt okay for men with no jacket? Any other info would be great! We are doing specialty dining also, if you did that can you also share! First cruise out of Seattle ....a few years ago we did one out of Vancouver and are hoping for better weather[emoji106]! Did people swim in the pool? Hope your trip was great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you tell me if you had two formal nights? If you went to any is a tie and button down shirt okay for men with no jacket?

Number of formal nights usually depends on the length of the cruise. We took California Costal on the Ruby for seven days and had two of them.

Dress on formal nights is up to the matre-de and while I suppose a shirt & tie would pass, one needs to be mindful of the other passengers as well. One of our table-mates wore a tux and I felt just a bit undereressed with a suit! :)

dlm

How was your cruise DuckFan04? We sail July 1 on ruby! Can you tell me if you had two formal nights? If you went to any is a tie and button down shirt okay for men with no jacket? Any other info would be great! We are doing specialty dining also, if you did that can you also share! First cruise out of Seattle ....a few years ago we did one out of Vancouver and are hoping for better weather[emoji106]! Did people swim in the pool? Hope your trip was great!!

Hi, I read on another Alaska forum that formal nights on this cruise are less formal than most. They saw men with shirt and tie; jacket with no tie. I plan on wearing a long sleeve shirt and tie; no jacket(don't want to pack one) already have to pack a rainjacket

Waiting to disembark the Ruby right now. You will have 2 formal nights. People seemed to make the first one a little fancier, we saw everything from Kimonos to long gowns to black pants and a blouse. I would say Alaska was less formal than even the Caribbean cruises, we saw people in hoodies being let into the traditional dining room. DH and I even wore jeans there the last night (Victoria night is all open seating by the way)

Let me know if you have any other questions! All our patters went out with the trash last night unfortunately so I can't help there.

I have the ones from our cruise last week, do you want to see one or all?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I would like to see your Princess Patters. We are sailing on June 3rd out of Seattle on Princess Ruby. We are a group of 11. Thanks for your help! Anndee7

Here is the link to all of the Princess Patters from our Alaska cruise, hopefully it works, I'm not very computer savy :) Let me know if you have any questions and enjoy your cruise!

pix.sfly.com/xZWveMyX

Our cruise was amazing, thank you for asking. We did have 2 formal nights, but chose to eat elsewhere on those nights. On previous formal nights in Alaska we saw everything from tuxedo's to track suits in the dining room (this was back in 2004) so this may have changed in the past 13 years :) We did not do specialty dining, but did speak to a couple that did the steak house and they loved it (but did comment that the food was cooked in butter making it rich, but very tasty). As for weather it's kinda hit and miss. Seattle was nice, our first sea day was very cold and rainy, Juneau and Skagway were sunny and comfortable (high 60's low 70's), Glacier Bay was beautiful but a little chilly, Ketchikan started off overcast then turned to a cold rain and wind (it was so nice to get back on the ship and into dry clothes!) the last sea day / Victoria was nice. There was always somebody in the pools even on the coldest days, even when the weather was nice, they were never overcrowded. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help. Enjoy your cruise!

AF-1 - my husband feels the same way! There is a lot of weather variables in Alaska and when space is tight the dress jacket will be the first to go! I can't stress enough to anyone going to Alaska to bring a rain coat - rain pants and waterproof hiking boots or waterproof anything for your feet! It was a lifesaver a few years ago....which is why we are going back! Hoping this time they don't get used quite as much[emoji275]

AF-1 - my husband feels the same way! There is a lot of weather variables in Alaska and when space is tight the dress jacket will be the first to go! I can't stress enough to anyone going to Alaska to bring a rain coat - rain pants and waterproof hiking boots or waterproof anything for your feet! It was a lifesaver a few years ago....which is why we are going back! Hoping this time they don't get used quite as much[emoji275]

I have waterproof rain jacket, and cap, Merrill waterproof shoes, and waterproof jogging pants. I should be good to go

I (along w/DD & SIL) were on the Ruby last week, May 20-27 -- my 4th Alaska cruise on Sitmar/Princess.

First -- the weather was fabulous! Warm & sunny in Seattle (my face was a bit sunburned as we sailed). The sea day began foggy but was sunny by noon -- we swam in the back terrace pool. Juneau was off/on rain & a bit cool. Skagway was sunny & barely cool. [We rented a car & drove into the Yukon -- fantastic scenery!] Glacier was overcast-changing-to-sunny & only a little cool (didn't need the heavier windbreaker jacket). Ketchikan was sunny & coolish. We were in the Terrace pool again on the last day -- very sunny going to Victoria.

We heard that the previous week was mostly wet. You never know! We also had CALM seas! (Too calm; I like a bit of bump)

The 2 formal nights (Sun. & Thu.) were very mixed -- all kinds of "dress". We were at 2nd seating in the Boticelli where there was a sign advising "No shorts or tank tops" and other items (short list).

DD & SIL went to the Crown Grill on Glacier Bay night -- Italian night in the MDR. They said CG was very good. I had the Italian dinner in MDR -- also very good. I don't eat shell fish, but DD & SIL were thrilled w/crab legs, mussels, shrimp & lobster on various nights in MDR.

I still have all the Patters for the week. If you have specific questions. LMK. I'll toss them soon. (I don't scan/post).

We had a GREAT week!

I (along w/DD & SIL) were on the Ruby last week, May 20-27 -- my 4th Alaska cruise on Sitmar/Princess.

First -- the weather was fabulous! Warm & sunny in Seattle (my face was a bit sunburned as we sailed). The sea day began foggy but was sunny by noon -- we swam in the back terrace pool. Juneau was off/on rain & a bit cool. Skagway was sunny & barely cool. [We rented a car & drove into the Yukon -- fantastic scenery!] Glacier was overcast-changing-to-sunny & only a little cool (didn't need the heavier windbreaker jacket). Ketchikan was sunny & coolish. We were in the Terrace pool again on the last day -- very sunny going to Victoria.

We heard that the previous week was mostly wet. You never know! We also had CALM seas! (Too calm; I like a bit of bump)

The 2 formal nights (Sun. & Thu.) were very mixed -- all kinds of "dress". We were at 2nd seating in the Boticelli where there was a sign advising "No shorts or tank tops" and other items (short list).

DD & SIL went to the Crown Grill on Glacier Bay night -- Italian night in the MDR. They said CG was very good. I had the Italian dinner in MDR -- also very good. I don't eat shell fish, but DD & SIL were thrilled w/crab legs, mussels, shrimp & lobster on various nights in MDR.

I still have all the Patters for the week. If you have specific questions. LMK. I'll toss them soon. (I don't scan/post).

We had a GREAT week!

Wow, very nice tips. Glad you had great weather; like you say the weather is a toss up. Although I am on Emerald in July; your info was great. Thanks and cheers

DF- thanks for patters! Again first cruise so trying to educate myself via CC.

They are very helpful.

Packing and attire- ready for little weather, no problem....a little dress up will be fun, but most importantly (after reading some other posts), I'm taking my sense of adventure to try new things, and a positive and open mind for all I encounter! Can't wait!

I know they do photo ops in the piazza for the sled dog puppies. It will be posted in the Princess Patter with the time they will be there. I am looking forward to this. I love puppies. I feel like they just make things better.