Belize - What would you recommend?

wintercolor

We will be cruising on the Breeze next week. I am looking forward to stopping at Belize but not sure what to do. I see several options and am thinking of visiting the ruins. Again, tons of options and confused me! If you did the ruins in Belize, which one did you visit? Did you book through the cruise lines or rented a car yourself? If you rent a car, do you visit multiple sights? How safe is it? Please share your experience and help us plan :) And am I too late in planning? (You can tell I am a worrywart!!)

This is a surprise vacation, and I feel absolutely unprepared :)

I googled Belize activities and attractions, and so much popped up....some of the "ruins" are full day affairs....depends on which ones you want to see! I would head to my local library and pick up a guidebook on Belize....should have maps in there...and decide after you get more info!

Or, go to the "Port of Call" boards on this site, and see how others have done ruins in Belize!

We did XUNANTUNICH MAYAN RUINS WITH LUNCH through Carnival. We enjoyed it but it was a long bus ride to get to the site. It was very interesting seeing their country and it is very 3rd world. I don't think I would recommend renting a car and driving their your self.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did XUNANTUNICH MAYAN RUINS WITH LUNCH through Carnival. We enjoyed it but it was a long bus ride to get to the site. It was very interesting seeing their country and it is very 3rd world. I don't think I would recommend renting a car and driving their your self.

We did the same tour and really enjoyed it. Just walking around the port of Belize is NOT an option.

Take a water taxi to Kaye Chaulker island. It's about a 40 min. Boat ride. Rent a golf cart and explore the island. Visit the well known "The Split" at the end of the island for lunch, drinks and a nice place to swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went this past January and we booked our tour from vendors out on the port. We ha an excellent tour guide. I can't remember the name of the company (there are several there to choose from). We went in a fifteen passenger van with other cruisers. A few were from our ship. We went to Altun Ha. We really enjoyed it. The ride was about a 45 min ride out to the ruins. Well worth it.

We visited Belize on a Princess cruise, so I don't know if the Carnival excusions are the same. We chose to see ruins because they are unique (and we have snorkeled and done cave tubing before. Our excursion, booked through Princess, was to the Lamanai ruins which I read were the best of the Belize ruins close enough to Belize City to visit. It was a full day tour which consisted of a bus and boat ride to the ruins, a stop in the museum, a guided tour of the ruins with a chance to climb one of the temples, lunch and then the boat and bus back to Belize City. The ruins were amazing and our excursion was well worth the time and money.

Lamanai Ruins were fantastic! They are in the jungle and accessible by boat. I'd recommend booking this tour through the ship OR any tour through the ship if it involves a boat. Twice now, I've been in Belize when the company I used had boats that broke down and ran out of gas! The first time I did an independent tour to a private island - never again. The ship won't wait for you. The second time was a pre-booked tour. We got back just in time for the last tender.

Thank you so much for all the information. I know cave tubing is popular but the family wants to see the ruins. So ruins it is!

XUNANTUNICH MAYAN RUINS WITH LUNCH is what we are thinking as well. Is it too late to book? We sail this weekend. Inspite of the long bus drive I have heard so many positives about it, definitely want to give this a shot.

We did Xunantunich.... LOVED it. Yes, the bus ride was long, but our tour guides were awesome and talked the whole way there, giving us history of the country, and also current information about their country. Before we knew it, we were there. On the way back no talking, everyone slept or relaxed.

Excellent tour. Would do it again no problem. We love Belize and the people.