Tobago on your own ~ Nylon Pool glass bottom boat

Sail Ing

I'm thrilled to be visiting Tobago in March with DM! First time! My current plan is to take a taxi to Pigeon Point and from there take a glass bottom tour to Buccoo Reef & Nylon Pool. All info. I've found is from @5 years ago, so any advice is welcome. Any idea about taxi, boat tour, beach chair/umbrella costs? Or time when boat tours are available? I hoped to beat the cruise tour crowd, but that may not be feasible. Any specific location to stop? My mother has some typical back and knee trouble but would like to do the glass bottom boat tour if practical. There's also an option for a cruise excursion for this, but it would be ideal to save $ and spend extra time at the beach...

• 11 months later...
I'm thrilled to be visiting Tobago in March with DM! First time! My current plan is to take a taxi to Pigeon Point and from there take a glass bottom tour to Buccoo Reef & Nylon Pool. All info. I've found is from @5 years ago, so any advice is welcome. Any idea about taxi, boat tour, beach chair/umbrella costs? Or time when boat tours are available? I hoped to beat the cruise tour crowd, but that may not be feasible. Any specific location to stop? My mother has some typical back and knee trouble but would like to do the glass bottom boat tour if practical. There's also an option for a cruise excursion for this, but it would be ideal to save $ and spend extra time at the beach...

Just bumping this to the top as I have the same questions.

We went with Tobago Island Tours , contacted Wayne. Pick up time was 10 am from terminal, $30 per person. Some things were not issues, such as a cruise crowd. Our boat didn't leave from the exact place the cruise excursion left. We didn't have time to relax at Pigeon Point afterwards. Everything went smoothly. The only problem was getting on the boat, for people with knee problems. They put a board for people to cross from the pier onto the boat, and it was a little stressful for some. Everyone made it, but I think the older or less flexible would've preferred to skip the entry and exit to the boat. I doubt the cruise excursion has the same issue but would read reviews. Our boat was full of ship passengers, and we enjoyed it.

We went with Tobago Island Tours , contacted Wayne. Pick up time was 10 am from terminal, $30 per person. Some things were not issues, such as a cruise crowd. Our boat didn't leave from the exact place the cruise excursion left. We didn't have time to relax at Pigeon Point afterwards. Everything went smoothly. The only problem was getting on the boat, for people with knee problems. They put a board for people to cross from the pier onto the boat, and it was a little stressful for some. Everyone made it, but I think the older or less flexible would've preferred to skip the entry and exit to the boat. I doubt the cruise excursion has the same issue but would read reviews. Our boat was full of ship passengers, and we enjoyed it.

Thanks.

I've done some more research and it looks as if we can take a taxi to Pigeon Point beach and then just pick up a boat tour there to go to the Nylon Pools.

Do you know anything about that?

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise that went to Tobago. We opted to do the cruise line excursion, and I'm glad we did. If you do it independently, here's the info.

The taxi is a flat rate of $25 each way, and the drive is lengthy at about 30 min each way. There's an entrance fee of a few dollars for Pigeon Point Beach park. The park is huge. The boats depart for the Nylon Pool at the very end. This beach stretch had the big red flags warning people not to swim! These fairly primitive wooden boats take you; you load up in the water, so be prepared to get wet. Our excursion included swimming at Buccoo Reef, too. The Seas were really rough that day, so I didn't enjoy the snorkeling but DH did. They kept a rope out to hold onto because the Seas were so rough. Then we trekked to the Nylon Pool where we enjoyed the water without any other boats! The water was not perfectly still like you imagine, but it was still very relaxing and fun. Once back at the park, I didn't feel the need to stay at a beach that was so far from the port and had red flags up for warning. DH wanted to stay because he had heard such wonderful things about that beach. There were lots of water sport rentals, but boy I wouldn't have wanted to use them the day we were there! Back at the port, we walked around. It was a bit creepy once you leave the port area. I opted to reboard the ship early afternoon. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums