Gala Nights Question

PCruzer

I will wear my tux on Gala Nights and am comfortable if other gentlemen wear appropriate attire for the evening.

A t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops worn in a public venue aboard ship are not appropriate as far as I am concerned during a Formal/Gala, or whatever the name may be, Night. (I sat next to a couple in the ship's Main Showroom so attired on a Star Princess cruise a few years ago.)

For my first couple of cruises, there was a note asking passengers to respect the dress code for the evening in all public rooms, but I have not seen that note since they opened the Lido for a casual dinner.

It is ridiculous to expect passengers who do not wish to dress up for dinner to have their dinner in the Lido and then return to their rooms and dress for the show or a post-dinner drink in a bar. I'm not about to do it, and neither are most people I know or have seen on the ships. And I feel no need to stay in my cabin in my comfortable, but presentable clothes all night just because a couple of other passengers are hung up on respecting a dress code that is a suggestion not a requirement.

For my first couple of cruises, there was a note asking passengers to respect the dress code for the evening in all public rooms, but I have not seen that note since they opened the Lido for a casual dinner.

It is ridiculous to expect passengers who do not wish to dress up for dinner to have their dinner in the Lido and then return to their rooms and dress for the show or a post-dinner drink in a bar. I'm not about to do it, and neither are most people I know or have seen on the ships. And I feel no need to stay in my cabin in my comfortable, but presentable clothes all night just because a couple of other passengers are hung up on respecting a dress code that is a suggestion not a requirement.

I respect your views. Thank you for responding to my posting.

Would you be kind enough to understand how I felt sitting next to a couple dressed in t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops while I am dressed in my tux?

How were those in the rows in front of me, behind me, and the seats beside me dressed? None were dressed in formal attire, but all were dressed appropriately for the Dress Code that the daily program for that Star Princess cruise requested.

Reading some of these posts, I am wondering what the difference is between dressing for a "Gala" night and dressing for a "Smart Casual" night. If men are wearing shirts and slacks (no jacket) on a "Gala" night, what are they wearing on "Smart Casual" nights. Seems these 2 attire suggestions have become very blended.

Wow! Not even many jackets? So what, then, distinguishes a Gala Night from a Smart Casual night?

Not much any longer. The menu and the dining steward uniforms are about the only evidence this night is any different. Passengers obviously voted with their own choice of attire and passengers are what makes the cruise line run..

Not much any longer. The menu and the dining steward uniforms are about the only evidence this night is any different. Passengers obviously voted with their own choice of attire and passengers are what makes the cruise line run..

Demonstrating that Formal nights were not nearly as popular as some wanted to think.

Our last cruise experience was on an RCI ship. On formal night we found ourselves having drinks in the Diamond lounge at 6ish.

There were people in tux, in long dresses, in shorts, we were in casual. Did not seem to matter to anyone. Lots of chatter, lots of interaction. We enjoyed seeing those folks dressed up and they were obviously enjoying themselves.

This was a 17 day Australian/NZ cruise. Perhaps there is not as much emphasis on conformity and on socioeconomic status as there apparently is in other parts of the world.

It is quite clear what the cruising public wants in this regard from the mass market cruise lines. And the industry has and is responding to those wants. We are on Princess in Feb...not certain if they have changed formal to something akin to gala or chic. We will be casual. We will not be in the MDR but we certainly will not be hiding in our cabin all night. We will be out and about as per usual.

Edited by iancal

The Gala nights are no longer or in any way similar to the Formal Nights, however they still mean something to us. We dressed up nicely (no tux, I nearly brought it) for Gala evenings and at dinner the passengers that sat with us were dressed nicely too. What others were wearing never enter my thinking during the meal, however after dinner we noticed they that fewer were still in their Gala attire as we were. I will admit that this did kind of bother me, but it did not spoil my nights or cruise.

So on a Gala night, the dining room stewards are dressed better than the dining passengers! LOL! I saw someone mention dressing "casual" on the Gala nights. What does "casual" now denote? Just how casual is "casual?"

So on a Gala night, the dining room stewards are dressed better than the dining passengers! LOL! I saw someone mention dressing "casual" on the Gala nights. What does "casual" now denote? Just how casual is "casual?"

I think the whole concept is now transitioning out, little by little. They no longer "dress up" the dining room chairs either. One wonders what will also be happening to prom nights and the wedding industry, where there is still a connection between special dress and special occasion.

I saw someone mention dressing "casual" on the Gala nights. What does "casual" now denote? Just how casual is "casual?"

Let's start with what "casual" is not: it is not slovenly, which some people do think of as casual dress.

"Casual" at night is "smart casual". For men, it is supposed to mean long pants and a collared shirt. For women, it would be slacks or skirt, and blouse or nice top, or could be a dress. It would be a more put-together outfit than would normally be worn in daytime.

I think the whole concept is now transitioning out, little by little. They no longer "dress up" the dining room chairs either. One wonders what will also be happening to prom nights and the wedding industry, where there is still a connection between special dress and special occasion.

I am a pastor. Last fall our wedding coordinator had to tell a photographer that she didn't get the memo that she was photographing a wedding. She was wearing shorts (think daisy dukes) and a printed t-shirt. When told she could take all of the photographs she wanted from the balcony but could not be in the aisle in her attire she was quite unhappy. The groom was in a tux . . .

I am a pastor. Last fall our wedding coordinator had to tell a photographer that she didn't get the memo that she was photographing a wedding. She was wearing shorts (think daisy dukes) and a printed t-shirt. When told she could take all of the photographs she wanted from the balcony but could not be in the aisle in her attire she was quite unhappy. The groom was in a tux . . .

Wow. What a shame. My niece is a professional photographer and I can't imagine her ever showing up for any shoot dressed like that much less a formal wedding.

I am not at all sorry to see the dressed chairs go. They were hard to move when you sat down or got up from the table, and the glitter from formal wear stuck to them like anything!

But then I've never thought the setting dictated how special the occasion was. I went to McDonald's before my prom, and a beignet place after. I celebrated my wedding night at a hole-in-the-wall BBQ place, followed by doughnuts at Krispy Kreme, still in wedding finery. People make the occasion for themselves, even if those around them are not celebrating.

Do men still wear tuxes on gala nights? We have a 14-night Caribbean cruise coming up and are unsure about how dressed up people get. Any suggestions?

My advice: a dapper gentleman will never be out of place in a tux on a Gala Night. Better to be overdressed than underdressed. I own a tux but haven't traveled with one since my first cruise. For me it's more about luggage requirements and excess baggage fees. I do however always wear a suit on formal/Gala nights...except on Carnival...because wearing only a collared shirt seems somehow disrespectful to the crew who always look spiffy and the other passengers who make an effort and want the classy experience. A collared shirt is ok on Carnival because of the diversity among the guests but on a higher price point, I think a little effort goes a long way. Go ahead call me a snob...I'll wear it proudly when the mood strikes me. There isn't a right or wrong answer...there is the best answer....do want makes you happy.

Unlike some of the other commentators, I won't suggest that it's my way or the highway.

I just think a little effort makes the experience more enjoyable and memorable. Now having said that, dinner on the balcony wearing a bathrobe seems equally enjoyable if that's what floats your boat.

My dresses - the cocktail length LBD and the floor length one take up minimal space in packing, as do the silk shawls that dress them up even more. But a man's suit or tux - bulky and heavy. (No way he's going to wear a suit on the 11 hour plane trip!) So, on our last European trip, we tried renting a tux and shoes for him for the dressy nights. Not saying it fit perfectly, but he was happy and felt dapper. We'll do it again on our next trip.

Our issue is that we combine a European cruise of 2 weeks with a land trip of another 4 weeks (because if you're going to make that horrible flight from the West Coast of the US to Europe, you've got to get enough fun to make up for the flights!), and luggage IS an issue when you're schlepping all over on cobblestone streets, on and off of trains and buses, etc.

Chiming in - just off 14 day S. Caribbean on the Oosterdam - D.H. really questioned bringing his tux, and insisted on also bringing dress slacks, shirt, tie, and blazer. He ended wearing the latter for our 3 gala nights, and has stated he won't be needing his tux anymore :(. I love how he looks in a tux, but understand his reluctance to 'stand out from the crowd'. Darn!

Chiming in - just off 14 day S. Caribbean on the Oosterdam - D.H. really questioned bringing his tux, and insisted on also bringing dress slacks, shirt, tie, and blazer. He ended wearing the latter for our 3 gala nights, and has stated he won't be needing his tux anymore :(. I love how he looks in a tux, but understand his reluctance to 'stand out from the crowd'. Darn!
Thank you so much for posting, as this is the same cruise we will be on this winter. Can you tell me if most men wore a jacket/tie on Gala nights? If not, how were they dressed? My husband also doesn't like to "stand out" from everyone else. He usually brings a tux, but we haven't cruised the Caribbean in 2 years, and a lot has seemed to change since then. He was going to bring a couple sports jackets and ties, but from what I am reading on these boards, even that attire is in the minority. If that is the case, did you find any difference in Smart Casual vs. Gala attire?

I am not at all sorry to see the dressed chairs go. They were hard to move when you sat down or got up from the table, and the glitter from formal wear stuck to them like anything!
I agree with the dressed chairs...mostly due to the way they looked. The last I recall, they were made of a stretchy material. But prior to that, they were a regular woven fabric (cotton?) and were always wrinkled beyond belief. They never looked very nice.

:eek: