Christmas at Sea

Snooksi

I would like to add a few things. We were on the Eurodam for the Christmas cruise in 2010. We were told that there was a couple hundred children on board but never really noticed other than a few more than normal at the lido pool during the day. HAL hired a bunch of college kids to help with the larger than normal number of kids and they did a great job.

As for a tree, we ordered a small tree from pro flowers and had it delivered to our hotel the day before. It was real with lights and ornaments. We were not able to bring it back off the ship when we returned but loved the smell of a real tree. We still have the lights and ornaments.

My 2015 Christmas experience on the Prinsendam: HAL does an excellent job!

Two sizes of decorated and lighted trees are available for purchase for your stateroom by calling Ship Services. They were never shown on the HAL web site, however. Being artifical, the tree can be taken with you when you disembark........

Expect a grand experience and a holiday to remember for your family!

Thank you for your entire post regarding the lovely things that HAL does for Christmas.:) I was unaware that artificial Christmas trees are available for purchase. I will be on the Prinsendam for the Holiday sailing 2016. That sounds better to me than purchasing the flowers for my cabin.:D

Does anyone have a photo of the trees that are available for purchase?:confused:

Before the cruise, I always go to my local Dollar Tree store and stock up on decorations that I take on board. I always buy a few little wreaths and their over door hangers, and put one on both sides of our door. Also, I buy a few strands of colored lights at the drug store, and drape them around the mirror in the cabin. Those little battery operated tea lights (3 for a dollar) also look very festive on your various shelves at night.

Don't forget to take a bunch of Christmas cards! It is fun to send them to your neighbors (leave them in their mailboxes). It prompts instant good will along your hallway, and many people will decorate their doors with cards. Don't forget to take some tape, too.

Remember, the crew has very limited shore time, and it is difficult for them to get somewhere to buy Christmas knick-knacks. Squeeze a few extra wreaths, garlands, etc., into your suitcase, and give them to your favorite crew members a few days before Christmas, if possible. They will love you for it.

I also use the Christmas cards to write complimentary notes about exceptional crew members to their supervisors. It is a nice gesture, and only takes a few minutes of your time.

Doing these things always puts me in the Christmas spirit. :)

Keeping in mind "Christmas" may not be a religious tradition for many HAL crew members, particularly those from Indonesia. Not the case for many of the Filipino crew members however, who do share this religious holiday time.

But it certainly has become a global "seasonal" event, as one sees the more secular "Christmas" type decorations now around the world. Letters to Santa "at the North Pole" come in by the thousands from every country.

We have done two Christmas cruises. Both late booking. A ten day and a fourteen day.

They were both very nice. Lots of decorations, crew choirs with Christmas carols etc. A fair amount of children....but really this up is what makes Christmas special. If children bother you then it is best to stay home.

On both of these last minute cruise we were in the middle of an extended travel period and far away from family. It was very nice but oddly enough we missed the snow and of course we missed family. We felt sorry for the crew. This must be a challenging time for them.

Christmas without children would not appeal to us. We are not the grinch type. Now that we have a grandchild we tend to stay home at Christmas and travel shortly thereafter.

Edited by iancal

We will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam this Christmas and it will be our first Christmas at sea and our first cruise with HAL. What special things are done on ships for Christmas besides the decorations? Is Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas day? Will they have a special Christmas show? Will they sell table size Christmas trees as a floral gift so we can buy one for our cabin? My kids are teenagers but will there be anything special for their age?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Please read my review from last year on the Amsterrdam. I don't want you to go with over the top expectations like I did. Good luck and I hope you have a great cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=522501

I enjoyed reading this thread very much. We have been on several Christmas cruises over the years, but haven't been on a HAL Christmas cruise.

After receiving such excellent service on the Maasdam last month, my wife and I will definitely be booking a HAL Christmas cruise in the future.

Plr

Before the cruise, I always go to my local Dollar Tree store and stock up on decorations that I take on board. I always buy a few little wreaths and their over door hangers, and put one on both sides of our door. Also, I buy a few strands of colored lights at the drug store, and drape them around the mirror in the cabin. Those little battery operated tea lights (3 for a dollar) also look very festive on your various shelves at night.

Don't forget to take a bunch of Christmas cards! It is fun to send them to your neighbors (leave them in their mailboxes). It prompts instant good will along your hallway, and many people will decorate their doors with cards. Don't forget to take some tape, too.

iRemember,

Please also remember that not all crew and/or your cabin neighbors.are necesarily Christian and some do not cerle brate C hristmas., the crew has very limited shore time, and it is difficult for them to get somewhere to buy Christmas knick-knacks. Non-C htrisgtian crew would be less than thrilled to receiveChrisstmas lights and knick-knacks, though I am sure you we ll. r Squeeze a few extra wreaths, garlands, etc., into your suitcase, and give them to your favorite crew members a few days before Christmas, if possible. They will love you for it.

I also use the Christmas cards to write complimentary notes about exceptional crew members to their supervisors. It is a nice gesture, and only takes a few minutes of your time. Not all of your cabin neigh botd are sure to be Christian. Seeing you likely don' know them,......

Edited by sail7seas

Please read my review from last year on the Amsterrdam. I don't want you to go with over the top expectations like I did. Good luck and I hope you have a great cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=522501

Wow, I read your review and it sounded like a horrible vacation/holiday. I'm so sorry to hear that and I definitely hope our cruise is better. I have never been disappointed with any of my cruises (knock on wood) and I hope this one coming up is as wonderful as my others.

Kids don't bother me (I'm bringing two well-behaved teenagers) but we don't use the pool and I'm sure that's where loud, rambunctious kids are going to be. We specifically chose this cruise, so we could just veg out on our balcony and relax. I certainly hope the food is better than on your cruise and luckily, we're at sea on Christmas day.

Thank you for your review. I was just sorry to hear your holiday didn't meet your expectations. My expectations are pretty high regarding Christmas decorations and I hope the Nieuw Amsterdam doesn't let me down.

We would never, ever hand out anything that had religious connotations to a stranger-whether it be staff or fellow passengers who we do not know.

Very true. I should have been a little more explicit. Before gifting the decorations, I always ask first if the staff member celebrates the holiday.

My husband was in the UAE shortly before Christmas one year, and brought me some lovely holiday decorations made there, even though this area is predominately non-Christian.

My Christmas and New Year's experience on the Amsterdam couldn't have been more different than Hflors'. What a difference a couple of years make, I guess.

When we embarked in San Diego on December 20, the ship was already done up for Christmas--every public space had Christmas trees, and there was a large display at the bottom of the atrium on deck 3 where the tree lighting took place on our first night.

Both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve were gala nights, and those were the celebration dinners. The wine stewards were very hard pressed to keep up with demand on New Year's Eve, and that was really the only shortcoming on the trip.

Based on my experience on the Amsterdam I'm looking forward to making the holidays at sea a more regular part of our calendar.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from the local Dollar Tree store, and they have little flat Christmas trees, that look like they are made to hang on a door. Instead of getting a stand alone tree that will take up precious desk top space, I think this will be perfect, leaning against the wall. Being flat, it will pack nicely, too.

On another subject, we will be at sea on Christmas day. Will there maybe something special in the Main Dining Room for luncheon/early dinner that day? We have always typically had an early dinner on Christmas day.

Reading all of the above has brought back many happy memories of our Christmas cruise on HAL several years ago. We greatly enjoyed the special decorations, concerts, etc. The only thing I would add is that the majority of passengers dressed up on both Christmas Eve and Christmas day evening. (Not Ugly Christmas Sweater, but dressed-up party attire.)

Also, interestingly, passengers were given Hannukah mementoes, and on Christmas Eve, there was a Chinese meal and a movie for the Jewish passengers. Fun all around!

Very true. I should have been a little more explicit. Before gifting the decorations, I always ask first if the staff member celebrates the holiday.

My husband was in the UAE shortly before Christmas one year, and brought me some lovely holiday decorations made there, even though this area is predominately non-Christian.

As Christmas has become more secular nowadays it's common to find Christmas related items pretty much anywhere. My hubby and I are both atheist but still enjoy some Christmas fun and a nice tree etc ...

• Like 1

Having just read what a Christmas cruise is like on HAL, can any of you tell me about the New Year's cruises? We are taking our first holiday cruise this New Years and are so excited. We haven't been on HAL in years, but decided to give it another try. We will be on the Eurodam and I'm anxious to know everything that's done for this holiday.

Having just read what a Christmas cruise is like on HAL, can any of you tell me about the New Year's cruises? We are taking our first holiday cruise this New Years and are so excited. We haven't been on HAL in years, but decided to give it another try. We will be on the Eurodam and I'm anxious to know everything that's done for this holiday.

I will try once again to respond to your question this evening. Even with a new computer and a Windows 10 operating system, CC does not always cooperate. My previous attempt resulted in a total, 100% freeze of my computer.

Prinsendam: 2015, New Year's Eve

Lots of music in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest prior to and after MDR Dinner. The Ocean Bar had two different groups and they exchanged times that they played. I really enjoyed their efforts!

Arriving in the MDR for dinner that evening, festive New Year's headgear was at your place sitting along with a horn. (Who could resist trying it out?) A special Gala dinner menu was available and my table mates shared my enthusiasm for the evening.

Adjourning to the Ocean Bar after dinner, music continued. As Midnight approached, a special show took place in the Showroom at Sea. Free Champagne was offered as Midnight approached, a small buffet was set up towards the front of the Showroom, at Midnight, a balloon drop and more music took place.

Because the Prinsendam was in the Atlantic Time Zone at Midnight, the party moved back to the Ocean Bar. More music and dancing along with a big screen TV set-up to watch the arrival of 2016 at New York's Times Square. By this time of night, many of the ship's staff were able to participate in the Ocean Bar's festivities and that added to the fun. We celebrated the arrival of the New Year twice!

On previous posts about this cruise, I have said that it has been many years since I have had so much fun on New Year's Eve. My traveling companion agreed and we are going to try a repeat of our experience this year on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I hope your experience will be equally pleasing!