Made to order sandwiches?

summersigh

just off the oosterdam and they had pre made sandwiches and a place were they made to order. they were next to each other but you had to really look the notice the made to order section

Did you by chance notice if they still had the chicken/tuna/egg salads available for the made to order salads! I'm the odd ball who has them make my "sandwich" without any bread, just lettuce, tomato and pickles. After a couple of days onboard when they see me in line they prep the plate awaiting my selection. BTW, no bread simply means I can spoil myself with chips and desert!:p

Also just off the Oosterdam. The premade sandwiches were very good. The white bread was not loaf bread. It was really good. The chicken,tuna and egg salad were great. When on torpedo rolls, we took it apart and put on other bread. They did have about 5 meat choices for made to order sandwiches plus a carved meat. One day was pork belly. They had 1 or 2 vegetarian selections daily. One of our favorite sandwiches was the BLT they made. We enjoyed the sandwiches and salads for lunch just about every day.

I am encouraged by these recent reports. Perhaps Seattle has heard the many HAL guests requesting that the made-to-order sandwiches, including the Tuna, Chicken, and Egg Salad options, be returned to the Lido Restaurant along with the pre-made sandwich options that still seem to be available.

Did you by chance notice if they still had the chicken/tuna/egg salads available for the made to order salads! I'm the odd ball who has them make my "sandwich" without any bread, just lettuce, tomato and pickles. After a couple of days onboard when they see me in line they prep the plate awaiting my selection. BTW, no bread simply means I can spoil myself with chips and desert!:p

I know tuna salad was in the made-to-order section -- I did not notice if egg and chicken salad were also available. I never went to the made-to-order salad section so I do not know if tuna salad was there as well.

I am encouraged by these recent reports. Perhaps Seattle has heard the many HAL guests requesting that the made-to-order sandwiches, including the Tuna, Chicken, and Egg Salad options, be returned to the Lido Restaurant along with the pre-made sandwich options that still seem to be available.

I am encouraged too. :) There were only the pre-made on the Westerdam and I wasted food and buns taking them apart.

I am encouraged too. :) There were only the pre-made on the Westerdam and I wasted food and buns taking them apart.

Ditto...on my last cruise on the Wdam the pre-made sandwiches were horrid.

I had to take three to make one, and it was still poor (throwing all the rest out). The main problem is that the mayo, mustard, etc just gets absorbed, and renders the bread soggy and disgusting, I actually squeezed the bread and liquids spewed.....ugh....

We only had one "soggy" sandwich when the tomato had leaked into the bread and it was late in the lunch hour. We simply took another one and disposed of the tomato leak one.

We found the mayo and mustard made the sandwich fillings rich and juicy and stayed where they belonged -- on the surface, no problem. Lettuce (very fresh and crispy) and cheese also provided a protective barrier between the bread and the fillings too.

Overall, the grab and go sandwiches get a A in our book. We look forward to enjoying them again.

Good thing you like mustard and mayo on your sandwiches then. Not everyone does. Which is why I prefer made to order.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Forums mobile app

I hope you continue to get sandwiches custom made. No reason to feel forced eat something you don't like. Or at least find a way to make your own with the basic ingredients, (breads, deli meat, cheese, salad items) still available at the Lido buffet, if it should come to that.

Edited by OlsSalt

I hope you continue to get sandwiches custom made. No reason to feel forced eat something you don't like. Or at least find a way to make your own with the basic ingredients, (breads, deli meat, cheese, salad items) still available at the Lido buffet, if it should come to that.

When we were on the Westerdam, I didn't see any deli meats or cheese (except for the plate of cheese) to make a sandwich with. I ended up having to either go to the salad bar or the taco bar, get a roll (only choice) and re-make the sandwich from the pre-made. Only place I saw cheese sliced or choices of cheese and deli type meats were at breakfast in the Lido.

Westerdam had been converted to the Market Place when we were on.

When we were on the Westerdam, I didn't see any deli meats or cheese (except for the plate of cheese) to make a sandwich with. I ended up having to either go to the salad bar or the taco bar, get a roll (only choice) and re-make the sandwich from the pre-made. Only place I saw cheese sliced or choices of cheese and deli type meats were at breakfast in the Lido.

Westerdam had been converted to the Market Place when we were on.

We had plates of thin sliced salami, cold cut and ham on the Veendam at lunch at the pickled veggie antipasto section at the Lido. As well as meats to add to salads at the salad bar, though they were chunks, not sliced but still could fit between slices of bread or inside a stuffed roll..

It certainly would not be easy to make one's own sandwich. Granted, but doable if one wants to avoid the pre-made ones.

I do recall there was at least one simple sandwich - ham cheese and butter on some excellent french roll bread - which was also a possibility if one wants those basics without the condiments found in the other pre-made sandwiches.

The more these requests end up on the passenger survey, the more likely things will change.

We had plates of thin sliced salami, cold cut and ham on the Veendam at lunch at the pickled veggie antipasto section at the Lido. As well as meats to add to salads at the salad bar, though they were chunks, not sliced but still could fit between slices of bread or inside a stuffed roll..

none of that on our cruise that I could find. After 33 days, I would like to think I am resourceful enough to find that stuff. Hoping that the Rotterdam has it for next year ;)

It certainly would not be easy to make one's own sandwich. Granted, but doable if one wants to avoid the pre-made ones.

I do recall there was at least one simple sandwich - ham cheese and butter on some excellent french roll bread - which was also a possibility if one wants those basics without the condiments found in the other pre-made sandwiches.

the only breads we had were all with grains which I cannot digest. The only thing plain was an actual pre-made sandwich and that bread was awful IMO (and I normally like HAL's bread)

I actually liked the pre-made on the Prinsendam, but we had a choice so we mixed from pre-made to made to order. The sandwiches we had were nothing like what I experienced on the P'dam.

The more these requests end up on the passenger survey, the more likely things will change.

Comments above in red are mine. On our cruise, this ship had been converted to the Market Place and the HD who was following my live thread approached me on the sandwich issue and said his orders were from Seattle and he was trying to change it.

Edited by kazu

On our cruise, this ship had been converted to the Market Place and the HD who was following my live thread approached me on the sandwich issue and said his orders were from Seattle and he was trying to change it.

From comments I have read on this (and perhaps other?) threads, he may have been at least partially successful.

I know on my last cruise (a bit over a year ago), there was nothing resembling ingredients that could be put together to make your own sandwich. At least you couldn't unless you planned in advance, such as at breakfast, to assemble ingredients and save them for lunch time.

More than once I obtained plain white bread, from the toast area, and some peanut butter, at breakfast so that I could fashion a very basic sandwich at lunchtime.

There was no such thing as sliced deli meat and cheese available at lunch, and getting basic bread was not easy then, either.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam over Thanksgiving. They had both premade and made to order sandwiches. I'm not really a sandwich person but my significant other loved the fresh sandwiches. BTW - the food on this ship overall was excellent!

Helen

Great news! We board in 6 days

Looking forward to no cooking over the holidays!