Tour Options at the Port?

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

We will be docking in St.Kitts in a few weeks, and originally planned on visiting a beach for the day, but after talking with those I am cruising with, we are somewhat interested in taking an island tour. We are hesitant to book with Carnival, as excursions start at $60 a person, and in other ports like San Juan I've seen tours offered for $15 for an hour or so, $30 for around 3. I always thought these were good deals, and have never taken anyone up on them. Are there any operators like this in St.Kitts near the port? What will we see on the tour, about how long are they, and what is the price range? You you think any of them make stops at beaches or could possibly drop us off somewhere, no pickup?

Thanks so much for any help!

We very rarely do excursions through the ship unless it is something that will be tight on time. Most of the time we just get off the ship and haggle with the locals for a tour. We have done it in St. Kitts and will do it again next week when we are there.

We very rarely do excursions through the ship unless it is something that will be tight on time. Most of the time we just get off the ship and haggle with the locals for a tour. We have done it in St. Kitts and will do it again next week when we are there.

What did you see and how much did you pay?

There are a ton of tour operators competing for your attention and $ in St. Kitts. I did an open-air bus tour for about $35 that lasted a few hours (can't remember the name of the company). It was a fair price. There are also air-conditioned vans available. Ask what type of vehicle will be used and find out who will be the driver ... the driver is not always the person you negotiate with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

St Kitts is not that large but I believe there is much to see. There will be many private tour operators at the port area offering island tours. They typically begin in town and then visit places of interest around the island before coming back to town then off to the beaches on the SE Peninsula. They will all get you back in time so you will not miss the ship. I would figure at least $40 per person for the tour plus tip.

• 2 weeks later...
We are interested as well for our Feb. cruise on the Jewel.

We plan on hanging on the ship for some of the day and an inexpensive tour for an hour or two in the afternoon.....

Any more experiences others have had?

I don't think you are going to see that much of the island in an hour or two. Most island type tours are 3-4 hours or longer.

You can contact Liz at Pereira Tours, or Annie of Anniestours, either may have something as they sometimes gathers passengers for tours at the port without reservations (usually when the ships first arrive). both have websites and emails. Otherwise, do some on line research and find out what exactly you wish to see on a tour. You might be able to get a taxi and have the driver take you directly there then back, getting a bit of an island tour to and from. Otherwise, just take a walking tour of Basseterre. I believe the local guides charge around $25 for a two hour tour (not to Gilligan's Island :D). You can find them on line too.

• 2 weeks later...
We did an island tour in a small, modern air conditioned bus with Pereira Tours. We don't bother with ship excursions, particularly in the Caribbean where they are so easy to arrange with a local operator or pick up one at the port.

How was your tour? We are booked with Liz for February. Did you go back to the ship or down to one of the South Frigate Beach areas? We would like to eat at a beach bar but aren't into sitting on the beach for hours. She is recommending Spice Mill Grill at Cockleshell Beach.

Hello,

We will be docking in St.Kitts in a few weeks, and originally planned on visiting a beach for the day, but after talking with those I am cruising with, we are somewhat interested in taking an island tour. We are hesitant to book with Carnival, as excursions start at $60 a person, and in other ports like San Juan I've seen tours offered for $15 for an hour or so, $30 for around 3. I always thought these were good deals, and have never taken anyone up on them. Are there any operators like this in St.Kitts near the port? What will we see on the tour, about how long are they, and what is the price range? You you think any of them make stops at beaches or could possibly drop us off somewhere, no pickup?

Thanks so much for any help!

I looked into tour options. For what I wanted, Javin looked the best, but he was booked for that day. Other operators I looked at were Duke of Earl Adventures, Greg's Safaris and Thenford Gray Tours. I am now planning to rent a car - about $60 plus the local license. Avis was a little closer to the port, but Hertz was cheapest. I could not get good info on local car rental agencies.