Sell me on a Neptune Suite

sctexan

We are planning a 2018 Alaska cruise on Eurodam with my parents. My parents will most likely be booking a Neptune but I cannot see paying even the, IMO, slight difference for just a lounge and priority dining.

We cruised this past summer in the Haven on NCL's Escape and it was worth every penny for the butler, private space on the ship, private pool and private dining room plus priority seating at all specialty restaurants. You really got a lot for the price.

What am I not understanding when it comes to the Neptune suites. I must be missing something.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Here is what we have enjoyed:

--Pinnacle dining room breakfasts

--Extra size of cabin and balcony

--Additional special invite events

--Free dry cleaning

--Ready availability of small bite snacks, instead of going to the larger dining venues

--Room clock that moves forward or backwards on its own when time changes

--More intimate sense of the cruise and recognizing the key ship personnel

The question isn't whether you value the NCL Haven more than HAL. The question is whether you want to be in the same class of cabin as your parents.

For example, your parents will have the suites breakfast service in the Pinnacle Grill. You'll be dining elsewhere unless you book a suite. They cannot invite guests and you cannot pay a surcharge.

Personally, I've looked at the NCL Haven and much prefer the Neptune suites.

I compared a Haven Penthouse on Jewel in Jun 2018 with an aft wrap SB on N Amsterdam. The NCL would cost around $5233 PP versus $3398 PP for the SB. You'll enjoy a much larger balcony on NAM probably three times as large. It's doubtful you'll be using the pool in Alaska. You will have a private dining room for breakfast but not for the other meals. Are you sure an NCL Haven is worth almost $4000 more? Is a butler worth that much more?

Edited by RocketMan275

Free laundry.

Breakfast in the Pinnacle.

Use of the Neptune Lounge from 7 AM until 8 or 8:30 PM -- mostly snacks -- no free cocktails.

Concierges can help you with many problems.

Priority dinner -- I have witnessed many Neptune passengers trying to get a certain time for dinner in the main dining room -- and it just didn't happen. Also same thing for the Pinnacle and Tamarind for dinner -- sometimes they fill up quickly and even the concierges can't get people reservations.

I compared a Haven Penthouse on Jewel in Jun 2018 with an aft wrap SB on N Amsterdam. The NCL would cost around $5233 PP versus $3398 PP for the SB. You'll enjoy a much larger balcony on NAM probably three times as large. It's doubtful you'll be using the pool in Alaska. You will have a private dining room for breakfast but not for the other meals. Are you sure an NCL Haven is worth almost $4000 more? Is a butler worth that much more?

In my defense, I didn't pay full price for the Haven. We did an upsell for $1,500 extra over our spa mini-suite. With that in mind, IMO, the Haven was worth every penny especially on a 5,000+ cruise ship. I am pricing out a SS category Signature Suite and a Neptune Suite is about $800-1,000 more. And there is where I just don't see the value, but I'm open to hearing more.

We will most definitely be using the pool in Alaska or, should I say, my son will. 😉 We sailed the Westerdam in 2014 and the pool was put to good use.

Edited by sctexan

You can easily wait for an upsell and if the NS aren't sold out, you can get them at a discount ;)

I don't try to "sell" someone on something that might not appeal.

You have to decide if it is for you or not.

We don't always get them, but we like them. They are much bigger than a standard verandah and, as so wisely pointed out, your parents will either have to give up their PG breakfast or you will dine separately for breakfast.

Are they worth the $? Really depends on the cost and the ship but having a concierge to take care of things, the added space for DH, dry cleaning is a real plus. (The rest of most of the perks we would get anyways).

It's whatever floats your boat. I enjoy not having to sit on the bed so DH can pass by ;)

And the much larger verandah :) as well as the PG breakfast.

Edited by kazu

In my defense, I didn't pay full price for the Haven. We did an upsell for $1,500 extra over our spa mini-suite. With that in mind, IMO, the Haven was worth every penny especially on a 5,000+ cruise ship. I am pricing out a SS category Signature Suite and a Neptune Suite is about $800-1,000 more. And there is where I just don't see the value, but I'm open to hearing more.

We will most definitely be using the pool in Alaska or, should I say, my son will. 😉 We sailed the Westerdam in 2014 and the pool was put to good use.

No one can answer whether it is worth the extra money. If it's just you and your son, you could make a case for a large inside and hang out on your parents balcony.

We wouldn't find the Haven Courtyard and pool useful. We much prefer the huge aft wrap balconies on Holland some of which are probably larger than the entire courtyard and so much more quiet and private.

We keep looking at Neptune. The only appealing thing to us is the real estate.

Laundry is great but it does not cost much to pay as you go. We have a difficult time rationalizing the upcharge based on real estate.

Each to their own I guess. Plus we get a lounge, concierge, continental breakfast, nibblies all day, and open bar in the evening gratis when we happen to be on RCI or Celebrity (because of our status) regardless of what cabin category we happen to occupy.

NCL's Haven appeals to us so we may give it a try next time we book an NCL cruise. But only if the price is attractive.

Edited by iancal

What does the butler do on NCL?

The thing that would push me into the NS in your case is that your parents are. Unless they avoid the invitations and lounge, you can't all be together.

One suggestion to consider is getting whichever rooms you want then renting a retreat cabana for the length of the cruise. It gives your family a home base, champagne, very kind staff who will bend over backwards to make your day more enjoyable. It's a private deck, loungers, and community seating areas and loungers just for the guests on the deck.

What does the butler do on NCL?

One suggestion to consider is getting whichever rooms you want then renting a retreat cabana for the length of the cruise. It gives your family a home base, champagne, very kind staff who will bend over backwards to make your day more enjoyable. It's a private deck, loungers, and community seating areas and loungers just for the guests on the deck.

The butler basically takes care of all of your dining needs and brings munchies through out the day. We had dinner twice in our cabin and he would order from the specialty restaurants and then set up your table in your suite. In addition to the hors d'oeuvres and other snacks he would bring things for my son like bowls of gummy bears and m&m's.

I was definitely thinking of the cabana for sure. That sounds really great. I think we'll probably do the poolside cabanas as opposed to the ones on a different deck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Save the coin. We spent 14 days in one (Noordam) room size was nice, lounge is OK if you want to eat stuff, two staff assigned to troubleshoot for you. Room attendants -- far below same suite service on Celeb. Over-hyped in my humble opinion. Pinnacle breakfast service was slow and indifferent....no steak and eggs either! Take that money and play blackjack....Good Luck.

You can easily wait for an upsell and if the NS aren't sold out, you can get them at a discount ;)

I don't try to "sell" someone on something that might not appeal.

You have to decide if it is for you or not.

We don't always get them, but we like them. They are much bigger than a standard verandah and, as so wisely pointed out, your parents will either have to give up their PG breakfast or you will dine separately for breakfast.

Are they worth the $? Really depends on the cost and the ship but having a concierge to take care of things, the added space for DH, dry cleaning is a real plus. (The rest of most of the perks we would get anyways).

It's whatever floats your boat. I enjoy not having to sit on the bed so DH can pass by ;)

And the much larger verandah :) as well as the PG breakfast.

We'll I didn't really mean sell me, but I just wanted to hear about all the really great stuff that makes people book them as opposed to a signature suite. [emoji4] The NS appeals to me, I'm just trying to figure out if the difference between the Ss and the NS is worth it for us. We were in an SS on our last Alaska cruise and it was plenty big for my husband and me and our then 8 year old son. He's will be twelve on this coming trip and at 10 he's already bigger than me so that alone might be reason to go for the NS. [emoji23]

I, personally, don't mind having breakfast seperately from my parents. We aren't joined at the hip. [emoji16]

We keep looking at Neptune. The only appealing thing to us is the real estate.

Laundry is great but it does not cost much to pay as you go. We have a difficult time rationalizing the upcharge based on real estate.

Each to their own I guess. Plus we get a lounge, concierge, continental breakfast, nibblies all day, and open bar in the evening gratis when we happen to be on RCI or Celebrity (because of our status) regardless of what cabin category we happen to occupy.

NCL's Haven appeals to us so we may give it a try next time we book an NCL cruise. But only if the price is attractive.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel the same way about the Neptune suites right now. If you want to hear the praises of the Haven, just let me know. I have quite a few. It was a fantastic week of pampering, exceptional service and wonderful food. [emoji106]

The only time we had a Neptune suite was when we went to Alaska the second time. Got it as an upsell. I'm big into photography and I practically lived on the balcony when we were sailing. Our state room was on the best side for the glacier bay sailing. It was an awesome experience. They treated us like royalty were ever we went on the ship when saw the gold key card. To me for the size of the balcony it was worth it. The extra space in the room was nice. It was huge compared to a normal balcony room. We never used the laundry service or went to the special functions for suite guests. We were too busy. Did enjoy the treats in the lounge. Every time we walked past the lounge we stopped to see what was being offered. We didn't use the concierge because we had everything arranged before we got on the ship.

We'll I didn't really mean sell me, but I just wanted to hear about all the really great stuff that makes people book them as opposed to a signature suite. [emoji4] The NS appeals to me, I'm just trying to figure out if the difference between the Ss and the NS is worth it for us. We were in an SS on our last Alaska cruise and it was plenty big for my husband and me and our then 8 year old son. He's will be twelve on this coming trip and at 10 he's already bigger than me so that alone might be reason to go for the NS. [emoji23]

I, personally, don't mind having breakfast seperately from my parents. We aren't joined at the hip. [emoji16]

Actually, although we do some Neptune Suites,

I think the Signature Suites are a very suite deal. On the signature ships, you have the double sinks, separate shower, etc. You have some nice extra space and I know a lot of people that think they are perfect.

When we are on that class of ship or a Vista ( haven't been on Koningsdam yet) we are happy to start with and nice Signature Suite and hope for an upsell.

We do like Neptunes for the space. And the PG but when you are in an S & R ship there is a big difference and , on the P'dam, the suites are the best in the business.

I have no desire for a butler. I did that on O and it was a useless exercise and I still had to go the front desk. I'll take HAL's Neptune's, and while we have had little issues, when we had one, they took care of us ;)

Edited by kazu

It all comes down to what you like / want. The extra amenities, already discussed, for the Neptune suites are well worth it to many people, plus you can be with your parents for everything. Most Neptune suites now have coffee makers in suite. Breakfast in the Pinnacle does not have a different menu and is just like the MDR but does have even more excellent service. IMO, I would want to sail more often and save the price difference for another cruise.

Someone recently posted an analysis of cost based on time spent in your room. That was interesting because it helped justify the cost or not broken down into a few hours per day.

We tend to spend a lot of time in the room and really love the larger balcony. The other perks are nice as well, but the real kicker for us is the KING SIZE BED!

BD

We booked a NS several years ago looking the the best of HAL. We haven't booked a NS since and don't ever intend to.

The larger cabin and washroom is nice. The couch is one of the most uncomfortable things you will ever sit on. We loved the larger balcony. Priority embarkation is also nice. Free laundry and dry cleaning is nice, but on shorter cruises you use it because you can, not because you have to.

The Neptune Lounge was a huge disappointment for us. It has to be the least hospital lounge on the entire ship. You will rarely find anyone lounging in there - passengers just pop in to grab something to eat and then leave. The buffet that is offered is small and heavily reliant on processed foods. Many of the same foodstuffs are also offered at the Explorations Cafe throughout the day.

Amenities in a NS are hit or miss. You may be offered all amenities, but depending on the crew, you may find yourself like us and having to request many of the amenities.

It has been our experience that a NS does not guarantee a higher level of service. Our very best service to date has been in a regular verandah cabin and a vista suite cabin. Of course, YMMV.

Neptune snacks "heavily reliant on processed foods"? I would not use that description at all. I wonder what you had during your own experience. Or maybe I am not understanding what you mean by "processed foods".

I found the snacks -sweets to savories - to be freshly made, nice variety and as you state, similar to some of the Explorations Cafe small bite offerings.

I have booked a Neptune suite and am very excited about the benefits we are getting. We booked the land/ sea tour. We will be arriving on the ship on 5/21/17. We booked in October with a TA during a sale. In addition to the explore 4 package, we have our gratuities paid for, $200 of free internet, and also have a $300 OBC

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

In practice you will be able to use the sitting and balcony areas in your parents room. As another reply has said the balcony is vast.

Any meal or drink can be served to any cabin on HAL so you could if you wished war with them there but they won't be able to invite you join them in the Neptune Lounge which is not a very inviting area but which does have some nice snacks.

I quite like meeting different people so having breakfast in the Pinnacle is not a great selling point for me. Indeed I was also underwhelmed by the Pinnacle as a dining bedroom.

We did enjoy the spa bath and the General space of the NS. The dressing room area outside the bathroom was useful.

Priority access to tendering was also useful

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This thread has very apt descriptions of the NS suite, and its benefits. If one can get it by booking or upsell, one is quite fortunate, and will enjoy a special cruise.

The space of both the room, and balcony are amazing when on a ship. When placing the chairs against the wall the cabin is so roomy you can ballroom dance in there.

Was fortunate to sail three times in a NS suite, and avidly hoping to do it again :)

Edited by OceanTraveller4ever

My daughter and I booked the NS on a short 4 day and I was impressed.

We decided that we had to see Alaska and be in a NS. The on ship booking lady came to the suite lounge and helped us book our Alaska cruise. This meeting was arranged by the Neptune Lounge concierge . The coffee in the Lounge and the food was just fabulous.

Good luck on your decision.

We are spoiled brats now after our NS experience.

We really love the Neptune on HAL ! King size bed almost as good as our bed at home . Dry cleaning ,private front desk, large room ,large balcony ,choice of pillows (the only holiday we don't need to bring our own ). Real nice place to have a cocktail before dinner as i wait for my wife to get ready . Mainly comfort and service !

:)