Amex Offer: Spend $500 on Booking, Get $100 Credit

joepeka

Has anyone successfully used this with their Canadian AMEX card? Offer doesn't show up on my AMEX page and don't want to bother company if it's all for naught.

In the past, it showed on my AMEX benefits and not my husband's..same account different cc ending numbers. I called and they said if it didn't show under the benefits, it couldn't be added. In the end, it was available on my card a second time, so I was able to use it twice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And it would appear Canadians are left in the dust. Found this in the small print on AMEX Facebook page when I tried to link my Canadian AMEX card to offers...

"Only a valid American Express Consumer Card, a Business Card from American Express OPEN issued in the US"

Sigh...they get us coming and going...with a lousy exchange rate to boot!

• 1 month later...

Surprisingly, this offer is still available to clip (I say that because similar offers for Royal Caribbean usually "sell out" within 2 days). I have it loaded to several of my cards so in theory I could split payment across them to save hundreds of dollars. Now I just have to decide whether I want to book a HAL cruise.

Has anyone tried buying on board credit for an upcoming cruise to see if that also qualifies? I did that for a RCCL cruise earlier this year when I had more cards with the offer than I owed on the cruise and it worked perfectly. Then I just got a refund of any money not spent at the end of the cruise.

Surprisingly, this offer is still available to clip (I say that because similar offers for Royal Caribbean usually "sell out" within 2 days). I have it loaded to several of my cards so in theory I could split payment across them to save hundreds of dollars. Now I just have to decide whether I want to book a HAL cruise.

Has anyone tried buying on board credit for an upcoming cruise to see if that also qualifies? I did that for a RCCL cruise earlier this year when I had more cards with the offer than I owed on the cruise and it worked perfectly. Then I just got a refund of any money not spent at the end of the cruise.

There is no reason to believe that buying $500 of OBC would not qualify for the offer. In fact, I "think" I've read on the Princess CC forum that people have done that (don't hold me to that recollection though). As for ourselves, when I paid the $500 toward our upcoming cruise, part of it went to cruise line offered insurance (which we opted for at initial booking) and the remainder to the actual cruise-only balance and we did get the $100 credit. As long as the Amex charge comes through from HAL (regardless of what the charge was for), you will get the credit.

Edited by joepeka

http://www.americanexpress.com/wlcl

Add it to your account! Not sure for Canada though. It didn't appear on my account, but it's there now when I added it through that link.

The folks on cruise critic are the best. This offer never came through on my list but using this link it was added to my card and is now there on my list of enrolled offers!

Will make a payment on our April Veendam cruise. THANK YOU!

I had it added but did not get the credit. HAL's charge went through as Holland Tours or something like that (it was a regular payment) so they refused it

The offer is still on my card so I may make another $500 payment and try again.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

I had it added but did not get the credit. HAL's charge went through as Holland Tours or something like that (it was a regular payment) so they refused it

The offer is still on my card so I may make another $500 payment and try again.

That's odd. Did you pay thru a TA or directly thru TA?

• 2 weeks later...
Just checked mine and it says Holland America Res

So, after thinking about booking for a couple of weeks, HAL has a flash sale today on the cruise I was looking at (final payment was due 2 days ago). I had been planning to book a verandah guarantee for $879pp (for a VF), and now they have one for $799 (for a VH), but the Signature Suite guarantee dropped to $1099, so I'm booking that instead since AMEX is paying for $100 of the upgrade (we've never done a suite before). I'm splitting payment across 5 cards (my TA will need to buy $25 of OBC on the last card to get over $500 since the total was $2484). So I will get $500 back from AMEX, and will probably buy another $1000 of OBC for myself before the cruise to get another $200 savings.

I've already gotten all of the "Great news! You just used your Amex Offer" emails and the charge shows up as "HOLLAND AMERICA RES", as you stated, even for the $25 OBC purchase.

We have a friend who bugs me about all of the AMEX cards I have. If she only knew how much money they've saved me over the years thanks to offers like this!

Edited by MisterBill99

• 1 month later...

I received this offer from Amex at the end of last year and made a few payments on my booking totaling the $500 required charge and received the $100 statement credit with a week of reaching the amount required by the offer. Love my Amex Travel card! I've always received fantastic customer service from them and I've never had an issue with rewards or offers.

I received this offer from Amex at the end of last year and made a few payments on my booking totaling the $500 required charge and received the $100 statement credit with a week of reaching the amount required by the offer. Love my Amex Travel card! I've always received fantastic customer service from them and I've never had an issue with rewards or offers.

I just checked my card's offers and I have this. Did you get the credit for making a payment at the time of booking, or later on an existing booking?

I just checked my card's offers and I have this. Did you get the credit for making a payment at the time of booking, or later on an existing booking?

I got my credit when we made final payment.

We used Future Cruise Certificates when we deposited the cruise last year. The offer popped up on my account back in October, so I added it to my card and when we made final payment in January I received an email from Amex that the offer had been redeemed, and the credit was on my statement the same time as the charge for the final payment.

Could you put the $500 on as OBC purchase through the Holland website, using the AMX? If you are already booked?

So has anyone purchased OBC for their cruise using the HAL website and gotten the credit? I tried a $5 purchase last night as a test to see how the charge would show up. The credit authorization came from "Holland America Line" while the charge when I paid for my cruise thru my TA (and she bought me $25 OBC separately by phone) showed up as "Holland America Res" (which worked for the credit). I'm not sure if it makes a difference, or if the actual charge will show up under the "Line" or "Res" name. I can always call and buy it the way my TA did if the online method doesn't work.

I used my Amex last night to purchase shore excursions. According to Amex's site that is not eligible for the OBC. But I thought I'd experiment, since I wanted those excursions anyway.

So you're saying you purchased more than $500 using the HAL website and did not get the email from AMEX? Presumably it showed it as Holland America Lines as my OBC purchase did. You're not going to be able to tell anything from the AMEX site at this point. It's still possible (if unlikely) that it will qualify once the actual charge is posted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

So you're saying you purchased more than $500 using the HAL website and did not get the email from AMEX? Presumably it showed it as Holland America Lines as my OBC purchase did. You're not going to be able to tell anything from the AMEX site at this point. It's still possible (if unlikely) that it will qualify once the actual charge is posted.

When I checked my Amex account this morning, the charge hadn't posted yet. So for the moment, the excursions are free!!!! The confirming email from HAL is from internet_purchases. I don't expect it to give me the OBC, but thought I'd try it.

When I checked my Amex account this morning, the charge hadn't posted yet. So for the moment, the excursions are free!!!! The confirming email from HAL is from internet_purchases. I don't expect it to give me the OBC, but thought I'd try it.

I think you're confused. The charge will take a couple of days to post but you should be able to see it under pending charges. And it's not $100 OBC that you get, it's a $100 credit back to your AMEX card.

I think you're confused. The charge will take a couple of days to post but you should be able to see it under pending charges. And it's not $100 OBC that you get, it's a $100 credit back to your AMEX card.

It wasn't under pending charges this morning. I'll check tomorrow. I guess the discussion of buying OBC confused me. I'll take a rebate as happily as OBC.

It wasn't under pending charges this morning. I'll check tomorrow. I guess the discussion of buying OBC confused me. I'll take a rebate as happily as OBC.

Did your charge post yet? Mine showed up as Holland America Web. Of course, I only spent $5 so I don'tknow if it would have qualified.

Hasn't anyone else tried to get the credit buying OBC or excursions/spa services via the website?

Edited by MisterBill99