Live from Holland America Line Koningsdam: Hits & Misses

LauraS

From the write ups & pictures of people who where on the first cruise what I disliked the most was a lack of a traditional Promenade Deck, wide open to the sea with deck chairs to watch the world go by on those nice sunny hot sea days.

Allan

Ski--WW, I couldn't agree more. I am just so disappointed about the promenade deck. One of the greatest pleasures of being on a cruise for me is the enjoyment of walking the promenade deck, sitting on one of the lovely teak loungers reading a book, or just appreciating the beauty of the ocean and the ocean breezes. I never would have expected that such a venerable cruise line would eliminate what is a mainstay of a true cruising experience.

So is there another place to walk besides the promenade deck? Can one walk on the top deck without obstructions? Wouldn't help in bad weather,Mobutu at least you would have scenery. I alway do my morning walks on the promenade deck and enjoy the breezes and views. This is very disheartening to see that that pleasure will not be on this ship. We are sailing her in July 2017

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

According to the deck plans there is some space to walk on the Panorama Deck & a jogging track on the Sun Deck. Neither one is as good as the full wrap around Promenade Deck. Maybe if enough people wrote to head office in Seattle to complain they might think about it, although I doubt it. Any way enjoy your cruise & the ship.

Allan

I agree about no main deck, disappointing, no library, no bath tubs accept in higher level suites.... the no tub was the final straw... I will book the Nieum Amsterdam Vista suite... enjoy the main deck, library and tub on my HAL cruise.

The price is a better deal too and I get what I like.

• 2 weeks later...

So disappointed with the design! From the CCers who have already written about their experiences on board a lot of are not giving bells and whistles!

The promenade is a big downer for us!!

Blends! I want a great wine IMO and I am from California so Seattle and their brand we have had and for us I would use it for cooking!!

Sorry.

We will stay with The Nieuw Amsterdam which we were on the Innaugaral and so fun! Now 4 times to The Med and did the Carribean. Booked for Oct.9 on The Eurodam to The Med again and love her! Big plus is we have a wonderful promenade to walk and the loungers!

Denise:)

Sad to hear so many negative comments from people who have not yet sailed on K-dam.

We truly enjoyed ship - husband walked the promenade daily and felt was OK as long as didn't run into running people - who should have been on the jogging track. He also enjoyed the jogging track. True there is a limited library at this time - but the word is that books will be arriving from a popular Seattle bookstore. We absolutely loved the showers in our verandah room. So much safer than climbing into a bathtub!! Before you give too many more negatives try the ship - you may enjoy it!!

Before you give too many more negatives try the ship - you may enjoy it!!
We are looking forward to trying Sel de Mer and Dutch Cafe, but from all the pictures and info I've seen so far, odds are high that the Nieuw Amsterdam will remain my favorite ship. ;)

Sad to hear so many negative comments from people who have not yet sailed on K-dam.

We truly enjoyed ship - husband walked the promenade daily and felt was OK as long as didn't run into running people - who should have been on the jogging track. He also enjoyed the jogging track. True there is a limited library at this time - but the word is that books will be arriving from a popular Seattle bookstore. We absolutely loved the showers in our verandah room. So much safer than climbing into a bathtub!! Before you give too many more negatives try the ship - you may enjoy it!!

I agree with you 100%. I loved everything about that ship. I will definitely be back on the K-dam!!

I've read everything I can on the Koningsdam and looked at hundreds of pictures and videos. I can say without a doubt that I am going to love the ship on my November cruise.

I don't recall ever having sat out on a Promenade deck - I prefer my verandah. I have enough books on my Nook to last me the rest of my life. I'm excited to try the Dutch café' date=' the NY deli/pizzeria, the Lincoln Center stage, the coffee maker in my suite, etc. I'm sure I'll find something to be disappointed in, but it will be minor.

So many people want HAL to keep building the same ships over and over. That is NOT the path to long term success. I'm of the "older generation" that supposedly doesn't want innovation, but that doesn't apply to every HAL cruiser.[/b']

We are in Flåm, Norway on the 3rd week on the ship. We love the ship and wouldn't hesitate to sail on it again. They are going to fix the library (per the Hotel Director it was built wrong) and fix the lack of bow and stern cameras starting in Oslo in a month. For more specific details, see my daily blog at http://www.timmer2016europe.blogspot.com

Edited by Btimmer

Sailing on the seven day round-trip Amsterdam to the Norwegian fjord cruise, we've had fantastic weather, stunning scenery, and good service. The ship is absolutely beautiful, our Vista suite is spacious and the shower is incredible. The one complaint I have is any time dining - especially for a table for two, they just don't seem to be able to handle it, I've called two days in advance for a reservation and can only get 9 PM, even with reservations we are not seated till 9:20 & by the end of the meal they're clearing away the flowers and glassware; tablecloths and table runners piled on the floor, I understand they need to clean up but not in front of the customers !

We were in an inside room and loved the TV location at the end of the bed. Our only wish was that there be a bow and stern camera be available on it.

Tim in Burien, WA

Agree. We had a balcony with the same tv setup. I think I heard bow cam was being added soon. Hope so. I know for inside rooms it's a great way to still "wake up with the sun"

Agree. We had a balcony with the same tv setup. I think I heard bow cam was being added soon. Hope so. I know for inside rooms it's a great way to still "wake up with the sun"

Per my discussion with Jonathon, the cameras will be installed after an upcoming Norway port of call. I suspect that will be at the end of the current 2 week Norway cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree about no main deck, disappointing, no library, no bath tubs accept in higher level suites.... the no tub was the final straw... I will book the Nieum Amsterdam Vista suite... enjoy the main deck, library and tub on my HAL cruise.

The price is a better deal too and I get what I like.

I agree with you 100%. I loved everything about that ship. I will definitely be back on the K-dam!!

I am one who enjoys sitting out on the Promenade deck reading a good book, but do not like the tubs at all.. Find that it is very difficult to get in & out of the HAL tubs..Perhaps it's because I'm very short..:D

Also do not like sitting around the pool..Is there any place to sit outside & watch the water?

Apparently not, based on everything I've read so far. :(

Deck 9 and 10 aft plus 10 and 11 forward have outside lounge chairs plus above the crow's nest. But there's nothing on the side of the ship on the Promenade.

Tim in Burien, WA

Deck 9 and 10 aft plus 10 and 11 forward have outside lounge chairs plus above the crow's nest. But there's nothing on the side of the ship on the Promenade.

Those are too high to watch the water from.

Besides, aren't they all in the sun? Does the elevator even go to that deck?