Zuiderdam Almost Live to the Panama Canal

Crew News

This "almost live" thread is for those who will follow us on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise and for those with questions that can be answered by HAL reps on board. The opinions and impressions expressed are my own and do not represent Holland America Line or other passengers.

Feel free to pose questions and I will seek answers.

Check-in and boarding was uneventful. Being an early boarder, the Lido Market was nearly deserted.

As promised, I conducted a private tour for some members on our roll call to reacquaint myself and them with the Zuiderdam. With the exception of just a few furnishings changes, much is the same as the last time I sailed on the Zuiderdam. Although the new Lido Market concept has been implemented, the new induction-type serving line and the signage has not yet been implemented. The Zuiderdam will be heading for dry dock next year for refitting.

Unlike my cruises in the last year, there was a Neptune Suite reception with ship's officers in the Neptune Lounge. The current Captain insists on his crew meeting suites passengers. I had long discussions with the Culinary Operations Manager to arrange for menus collection and a long conversation about Dutch racing driver Arie Luyendyke. A lengthy conversation with the Hotel Director, Darren, covered many topics and confirmed that he does read CC to get the pulse of the members. As the reception attendees waned, there was a chance to talk with the Marketing representative where I learned about the new Navigator login screen with the Specialty Restaurant menus, your shipboard account, and personal itinerary. To access Joanie’s OBC share and purchases, she must login.

We were followed from FLL by seven other ships until at least midnight when I went to bed.

We have invited many fellow passengers to share our “fully covered” verandah while at the Panama Canal to escape the intense heat.

Observations:

Our stateroom has the new 220V coffee pot but it is placed in the center of the desk right beside the old TV. Fortunately, I needed to move it so that I would have room for my laptop. The TV channels have not changed as have those on the Nieuw Amsterdam last May. The DVD player is still present.

I did notice that the new Salad Stations were active. The salad bowls were the same color as those on the Nieuw Amsterdam but did not have the slanted style. The depth if bowls makes it difficult to eat everything inside with a fork. My DW, Joanie, loved the pepperoni pizza.

The ship still has the old Breakfast Menu cards and the old Room Service Menu.

There is new furniture on the verandahs and the wicker chair arms are now wooden ones.

Wheelchair pushers during boarding came from MDR wait staff.

Internet costs: $250 – 1000 minutes, $175 – 500 minutes, $100 – 250 minutes, $55 – 100 minutes. If you have the Explor4 200 free minutes, you must purchase 100 minutes and your account will be credited for the $55 cost. Purchase the next 100 in the same manner before purchasing further minutes.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks CN.

I read on another live thread that the suite menus for room service are different from the other room service menu. Anyway to check that out on the Zuidie and see if the others still have the old menu? Probably wait until a few days into the cruise though as it seems on the last two cruises the new menu was introduced a few days into the cruise. Thanks.

Crew News, you are just invaluable, and I cannot thank you enough for all you do. You are really enhancing our Sunfarer cruise on the Zuiderdam in January.

We have the suite directly below you on that cruise, and I am alternately thrilled about having an aft-wrap, and terrified I'll fry.

Normally I would be looking forward to your review, but the tiny print is not for me.

Hope you have a great cruise. I read in another thread where Joanie said that this will be your last HAL cruise.

From what I understand this is Joanie's last cruise but C. N. has more in the works

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This "almost live" thread is for those who will follow us on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise and for those with questions that can be answered by HAL reps on board. The opinions and impressions expressed are my own and do not represent Holland America Line or other passengers.

Based on actual experience, your opinions and impressions are credible.

Looking forward for more.

Sorry about the font size, I thought it was caused by using the BING search engine which is the default for HAL login.

The new login is painful and I will try to understand it soonest.

A major change I have noticed is the tripling of water pressure in the sinks. Full blast will splatter water over the counter. The change in water temp from cold to hot is much faster.

After meeting the Culinary Operations Manager (COM) last night, chocolate purse desserts will be delivered as soon as I provided a time, place, and quantity for our roll call and new friends. When the COM asked me what he could do to make my cruise better, he got my standard answer, chocolate purses.

During dinner, I was welcomed by the Dining Room Manager with a ten-minute conversation, his assistant, and then the Wine Steward (I don't drink alcohol) with lengthy chats. My waiter then stopped by offering anything to make my cruise a good one. It is remarkable what meeting the ship's crew in a friendly atmosphere can accomplish. I will miss the Neptune Suite receptions and the chance to meet the crew as I will no longer be sailing in a NS after this cruise.

Last cruise for Joanie.

I did find the lobster shack but it was closed. Might be just open when Carnival is here. All of the HAL folks to whom I have spoken had no idea it existed.

The Neptune Lounge is gathering information about the kids programs for me but with only a few kids on board this cruise, they have nothing published that I can scan.

Working on menus for all 7-day (both A & B series) and 10 & 11-day Caribbean cruises. Promised Christmas Day and New Years day menus as well. New Beverage Menu just out as well as a new Canaletto menu.

Half Moon Cay, shared with the Veendam was typical and my Calypso Tram (truck bed with covered metal seats) was not so great.

Tomorrow is our Meet & Greet and luncheon on the first Sea Day (Gala Night).

Although I cannot verify until my Pinnacle Grill dinner tomorrow night, Clifford is on board and I hope to continue the discussion with him about the Presidents Cut steak.

Rain forecast for tomorrow so covered verandah will be invaluable.

My infrared thermometer registered 55 degrees at the vent. Back of minibar 40 degrees and front door 45 degrees,

More to come later.

Very excited to follow along on your review as we will be on the Zuiderdam Sunfarer next March.

We have Explore4 and I'm a bit confused...the internet credit I have isn't just 200 minutes, but $200 worth of minutes. Are you saying I can only get 100 minutes at a time, with $55 credit? I thought based on your information I could buy two sets of 250 minutes at $100 each....

Thank you so much for increasing your font size. It makes reading your report so much easier.

Thanks also for trying to get the answer to the Lobster Shack menu question.

Would you mind asking Clifford if he will by chance be on the NA in April? It would be great if he were.

Very excited to follow along on your review as we will be on the Zuiderdam Sunfarer next March.

We have Explore4 and I'm a bit confused...the internet credit I have isn't just 200 minutes, but $200 worth of minutes. Are you saying I can only get 100 minutes at a time, with $55 credit? I thought based on your information I could buy two sets of 250 minutes at $100 each....

I think you're probably right. On the Anniversary promo last fall, we had 100 minutes each. We each bought the 100 minute package for $55 and the money was credited back to the account very quickly. I suspect it's the same now, only it's 250 minutes for $100. (Wouldn't it be funny if HAL intended it to be the 100 minutes pp not $100 pp and somebody didn't check the copy carefully????)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

When we were on HMC with the new ship recently we didn't even hear about the Lobster Shack in the daily bulletin. I doubt we would have had lunch there as we were more interested in the new restaurants on the K.

Have a good cruise, Roger and "Joanie".

I recall having quite the conversation with Clifford about the President's Cut steak last May - which our table ordered and which was mouth-wateringly delicious. Well worth the cost between those of us who shared it. The attention from the PG Manager and Clifford - as always - was remarkable.

You purchase the first 100 minutes and receive a credit to your account, followed by the second 100 minutes with credit back to your card, then you can buy whatever package you wish. I was told that it was an accounting thing.

I will be on the 12/11-21 Sunfarer on the Zeiderdam. Can you let me know who will be in the piano bar? Love the interaction in the HAL Piano bars and will miss it when they go to dueling pianos.

I shall do my best to report back to you.

When we were on HMC with the new ship recently we didn't even hear about the Lobster Shack in the daily bulletin. I doubt we would have had lunch there as we were more interested in the new restaurants on the K.

Have a good cruise, Roger and "Joanie".

I spent about 10 minutes with the Dining Room Manager today and asked about the Lobster Shack. It will be open next week for the Zuiderdam for certain. He will provide the menu to me tomorrow.

Edited by Crew News

I spent about 10 minutes with the Dining Room Manager today and asked about the Lobster Shack. It will be open next week for the Zuiderdam for certain.

Did he say if there were choices on the menu or do they just have lobster?

Warm weather and bright sun greeted me on our first sea day allowing a nice breakfast on the verandah.

I delivered my thumb drive to the Dining Room Manager (CC member) to get copies of all of the 7-day, 10-day, 11-day, Christmas, and New Years menus for this season.

When I checked my watch and noted that I needed to go to the Kitchen Tour, the Dining Room Manager provided a tour just for me before the other tour started. I had the chance to talk with the head chef, see the new electronic ordering system, photograph the menu picture board, sample some crab cakes, and ask lots of questions. I did get a photograph of the raw President's cut 36-ounce rib eye steak. It was a memorable event for me to dig into the inner workings of the kitchen.

The Culinary Operations Manager, Ruben, who I met at the Suites Reception, has encouraged all of his staff to speak freely to me, assist me in whatever menus I need, and to know that I am one of the HAL family. It was a great day for me.

We held our M&G for 12 followed by a luncheon. I will be collecting attendee names for our following sea day lunch next week where we will be enjoying our chocolate purses.

I picked up the new Canaletto menu and wine list today and will try the new items later this week during my reservation.

I was reminded to post the use of stateroom key scanners at the Muster Drill. Only four rooms needed to be called and we were dismissed in about 10 minutes. The Ocean Bar had at least 50 people, including Joanie, during the Muster Drill after having their stateroom cards scanned on Deck 3.

Tonight is Gala Night.

More later.