? Early embarkation cancelled

saltshell

Would you provide more information, like the port and the details of the notification you received?

There are many reasons why embarkation can be delayed. It could be the first time in a while the ship is coming to a US port so must go through inspections which causes delays. It could be that there was norovirus on the cruise prior and they need to do a deep clean.

Would you provide more information, like the port
Dec 9, FLL, after a T-A. Inspections will be needed.

If you have a cell phone number in your check-in info they should send you a text message when check-ins and boarding begins.

Edited by jtl513

Dec 9, FLL, after a T-A. Inspections will be needed.

If you have a cell phone number in your check-in info they should send you a text message when check-ins and boarding begins.

Well, if they've been notified this far in advance, I would certainly heed the notification and follow the instructions as to when to show up. Leave the luggage at the pre-cruise hotel and tour/shop/relax by the pool/beach until it is time to leave. It's no fun hanging around the terminal waiting to board, speaking from personal experience. One might as well enjoy oneself!

Well, if they've been notified this far in advance, I would certainly heed the notification and follow the instructions as to when to show up.
This happened when the K-dam arrived in the US on Nov 9th. About a week before we got an email stating that check-ins and boarding would be done by deck, starting at 3:00. We dropped our bags at the terminal around 10:30 and then went to early lunch off-port. (We drove down.) While at lunch we got a text that check-ins would begin at 1:00.

However, some people either didn't get the email or ignored it, as we saw people getting out of taxis with their baggage at 10:30.

Edited by jtl513

HAL sent an alert via e-mail. Ship issue coming into port from Europe and will need clearance and some sort of crew training. Disappointed will miss MDR lunch. Guess I'll need to find somewhere inear Lauderdale.

It would be nice if HAL were not selective about to whom they send the email.

Terri

Received this from my TA:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

Please be advised that ms Rotterdam arrives the U.S. from Europe on Friday,

December 9, and will therefore be required to undergo a crew inspection and

Coast Guard Drill requiring participation from all crew members. This must be

completed prior to embarking our guests for the next departure. Consequently,

we are unable to provide early embarkation for guests on the ms Rotterdam

sailing from Fort Lauderdale on December 9. Instead, check-in will begin at

1:00pm and embarkation will begin shortly after. In order to ensure a smooth

check-in and boarding experience for all guests please do not arrive prior to

the start of your cruise check-in time:

1:00 PM - 4 & 5 Star Mariners and Neptune & Pinnacle Suite guests

1:30 PM - Deck 7 (Navigation)

2:00 PM - Deck 6 (Verandah)

2:30 PM - Deck 1 (Dolphin)

3:00 PM - Deck 2 (Main)

3:30 PM - Deck 3 (Lower Promenade)

Terri

We were on the Eurodam's first cruise to Canada/New England after a TA in 2014. HAL has gotten much wiser since that time. We sat for hours inside the Manhattan cruise terminal. Some people had to stand or sit on the floor. Everyone missed lunch. Believe me, you want to wait and arrive at the terminal at the time instructed or if/when notified that boarding will commence earlier.

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

This has happened to us quite a few times and various reasons and in different ports like Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, Seattle.

If they waited until the last couple of days before we were scheduled to sail, we would not get the email.

I don't take a cell phone with me (no need for one) and I don't bother with the internet once we leave the house which is usually 4 days before the cruise.

HAL sent an alert via e-mail. Ship issue coming into port from Europe and will need clearance and some sort of crew training. Disappointed will miss MDR lunch. Guess I'll need to find somewhere inear Lauderdale.

I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed to miss the MDR lunch. Really??? My disappointment has always been with the lunch, not its absence.

I'm one of those who love the embarkation MDR lunches. After a long way morning of packing and waiting at customs... I need to refuel.

I do skip the embarkation buffets. It's ugly trying to juggle food, drinks, and carry-on's while looking for a free table.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

It's not the menu, it's the transition from "street" to ship. I find the experience to be a quiet way to wait for my room to be ready. Terri, perhaps I received my email because I had booked with a PCC at HAL. Glad you heard from your TA.

I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed to miss the MDR lunch. Really??? My disappointment has always been with the lunch, not its absence.

I'm one of those who love the embarkation MDR lunches. After a long way morning of packing and waiting at customs... I need to refuel.

I do skip the embarkation buffets. It's ugly trying to juggle food, drinks, and carry-on's while looking for a free table.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

We also enjoy having lunch in the main dining room on embarkation.

I use a walker/rollator and it is just too difficult for me to handle the Lido. And now that DH's Parkinson's has gotten worse, he can't handle carrying dishes without accidents.

It's not the menu, it's the transition from "street" to ship. I find the experience to be a quiet way to wait for my room to be ready. Terri, perhaps I received my email because I had booked with a PCC at HAL. Glad you heard from your TA.

Although I live on the East coast my TA is on the west coast. She emailed me as soon as she arrived at her office this morning.

I, too, like the MDR lunch.

Luckily we are in the first group to board so maybe we can get to the lido before the crowds descend.

I posted the message on the roll call as well.

Terri

It would be nice if HAL were not selective about to whom they send the email.

Terri

Interesting that some Posters are quick to put the blame on HAL for everything, even (or maybe especially) when they don't even have the facts. As any sentient person should realize, there are many reasons why some people may not have received the HAL e-mail notice, among which are the following: (1) HAL does not have e-mail addresses for ALL passengers because some passengers do not use e-mail or have chosen not to give their e-mail addresses to HAL; (2) For passengers who book through a TA, HAL generally communicates directly with the TA, and the TA may not have passed the info on in a timely manner; (3) As jtl513 noted above, some passengers to whom HAL did send the e-mail may have "ignored it"; and (4) Passengers who did not receive the notice may be on the list of cruisers whom HAL has targeted to make as miserable as possible on every cruise. Just my thoughts on the subject ...

Smooth sailing ...

Interesting that some Posters are quick to put the blame on HAL for everything, even (or maybe especially) when they don't even have the facts. As any sentient person should realize, there are many reasons why some people may not have received the HAL e-mail notice, among which are the following: (1) HAL does not have e-mail addresses for ALL passengers because some passengers do not use e-mail or have chosen not to give their e-mail addresses to HAL; (2) For passengers who book through a TA, HAL generally communicates directly with the TA, and the TA may not have passed the info on in a timely manner; (3) As jtl513 noted above, some passengers to whom HAL did send the e-mail may have "ignored it"; and (4) Passengers who did not receive the notice may be on the list of cruisers whom HAL has targeted to make as miserable as possible on every cruise. Just my thoughts on the subject ...

Smooth sailing ...

Not to mention "spam" filters which sometimes put important messages into the "spam" or "junk" folders.

Smooth sailing ...

Did you read further down the thread where I posted that my TA sent me the notice and I copied and pasted it for all those who may not have gotten it? I also explained that while I live on the east coast, my TA is on the west coast as the reason for the delay in receiving the notification. Maybe if you had read the entire thread prior to posting you would not be so quick to judge me.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Did you read further down the thread where I posted that my TA sent me the notice and I copied and pasted it for all those who may not have gotten it? I also explained that while I live on the east coast, my TA is on the west coast as the reason for the delay in receiving the notification. Maybe if you had read the entire thread prior to posting you would not be so quick to judge me.

Terri

Sorry if you thought I was judging you - I was not. I was merely responding to your innuendo that HAL alone was responsible for some passengers not receiving notice of an embarkation delay. And I did read the entire Thread (including your later Posts) but did not see a retraction of your suggestion that "t "would be nice if HAL were not selective about to whom they send the email." Just trying to be clear and fair.

Although I live on the East coast my TA is on the west coast. She emailed me as soon as she arrived at her office this morning.

I, too, like the MDR lunch.

Luckily we are in the first group to board so maybe we can get to the lido before the crowds descend.

I have posted the message on the roll call as well.

Terri

A nice example of CC at its best. I'm sure there will be people who appreciate you doing that.