Help please! Should we take an Upgrade?

canadarocks

Just received this offer from my T.A.

Upgrade for select bookings from your Interior (Category IQ to N) to the following best available:

Verandah (Category VQ to VH) for an additional $454 Per Person CAD

Ocean View (Category CQ to F) for an additional $90 Per Person CAD

Ocean View (Category G to HH) for an additional $77 Per Person CAD

We have an inside J on the Main Deck, which we love. Should we take one of the above or stay put? :confused:

Only you can decide if it's worth the money or not. How long is your cruise? Have you seen the ports before? Have you cruised in a balcony cabin previously? All factors to consider. If you spend a lot of time in your cabin, then you might want to spring for a balcony; if not, then stay in your J where you're happy.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think the OP is on a 12 day cruise in Jan/17. I would definitely take the upsell to OV; the $90 one, though. Only you can decide if $450/pp is worth the balcony.

Agree! An excellent deal, especially if OP could get a C or D.

Please let us know what you choose!

That is $7.50/day per person to move to an O/V.

However, if you are on a Vista and the "J" is one of those oversized square-ish insides, I would stay put. The extra room (for me) is worth more than the window.

Just my opinion, yours may be different!

If you have a Main Deck J, stay put unless the offer to a verandah gets cheaper. I spent 32 days in an E OV on Main, and next cruise got a Main Deck K as a gty for 14 days. Never will sail in any other cabin unless they upgrade me to a full suite gratis. I love my space. In fact, I booked the same K cabin for 24 days on Nieuw Amsterdam. EM

Thanks for the input everyone. I've told my T.A. to let me know if the upsell offer for a veranda comes down in price. I checked on the HAL site and there are a LOT of veranda cabins still available. The oceanviews that are still open aren't in good locations or they are all quads & triples.

So for now we're staying with our large inside J on the Main deck. :)

So for now we're staying with our large inside J on the Main deck. :)

Good choice, given the present offers. The outside isn't as good a cabin, and the balcony is too expensive.

I would consider a balcony cabin at a lower price, however. Even though the cabin isn't as good as the J-on Main, it has that porch ;) to recommend it.

In one of the books I have, there is this advice:

"never leave somewhere you are having a great time to go someplace you only think you'll have a better time."

So if you're happy with the J cabin, stay there. The upgrade/sell might be better for you, but it might not. I always book the lowest cabin category I know I will be happy, mark it do not upgrade, and never look at prices for the cruise. Life is too short to stress myself like that. I wouldn't take an upgrade/sell where I can't pick my cabin because even though HAL thinks it would be an upgrade, I might not.

I did a "dummy" booking (as if I wasn't already booked) and hit the "choose my own cabin" button. The available cabins come up.

When you do a "dummy" booking and see all the available cabins in a category, that number is not taking into account the number of "guarantees" that have been booked. So if there are 15 cabins in a category showing available and if there are 13 guarantees booked then there are really only 2 cabins available. You will not know how many guarantees are out there since only HAL knows that number. So if you think the cruise is not selling very well, that assumption could be wrong.

When you do a "dummy" booking and see all the available cabins in a category, that number is not taking into account the number of "guarantees" that have been booked. So if there are 15 cabins in a category showing available and if there are 13 guarantees booked then there are really only 2 cabins available. You will not know how many guarantees are out there since only HAL knows that number. So if you think the cruise is not selling very well, that assumption could be wrong.

Agreed.......waiting to save a few bucks, means missing out on good offers.

If the deal looks good, grab it, as it will go away very fast.

Word to the wise ;)

Edited by OceanTraveller4ever

Agreed.......waiting to save a few bucks, means missing out on good offers.

If the deal looks good, grab it, as it will go away very fast.

Word to the wise ;)

Sorry, but I think you misunderstood my original post. I chose our cabin. We didn't go looking for an upgrade, it was offered to us. After researching what cabins are still available (and they are still available, guarantees not withstanding) I realized we are happier with our original booking.

But as I said earlier, if a better upsell offer for a balcony comes our way... then we'll consider it for sure.:)

Edited by canadarocks

Sorry, but I think you misunderstood my original post. I chose our cabin. We didn't go looking for an upgrade, it was offered to us. After researching what cabins are still available (and they are still available, guarantees not withstanding) I realized we are happier with our original booking.

But as I said earlier, if a better upsell offer for a balcony comes our way... then we'll consider it for sure.:)

That is great that the cabin you got is good. Hope HAL throws you an upgrade possibility.

I was commenting on your post #10 were you said it looked like there were still a lot of veranda cabins available. I didn't want you to get your hopes up that there would be a good chance for an upgrade. Hope you have a great cruise. :)