Cruise with 11pm Debarkation

Phamer55

I noticed that the May 11th San Francisco to Vancouver 3 day coastal cruises leaves SF at 11pm. I was wondering if that means we could check-in late that day (thinking 7pm) as we live and work in the SF Bay Area (we would only need to take 1 day off of work). Has anybody done a cruise with a late debarkation - can you check-in still up until the "2 hours before debarkation" requirement? If we could, this cruise becomes more desirable.

First of all debarkation means leaving the ship, not sailing. :)

The only time we sailed late (10:00pm) we still had to be on the ship for the muster drill at 4:00p. I suggest you call HAL and see if you can make any special arrangements. They might let you check-in on the ship (did that once when we joined a cruise in-progress) and have a private muster.

Edited by jtl513

We just did a HAL cruise. People that embarked in Honolulu with a midnight departure, had to be aboard do to the 4pm drill.

Folks that boarded in Vancouver or San Diego were not required to attend.

It's possible you could do the drill, and then go ashore and be back by the all aboard time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by SF Ex-Pat

I agree with the others. Call HAL to confirm if you want to know before you book. When we had a late sailing our all on board time was around 4 pm. Everyone had to be there for the muster drill. You could get off after but it was mandatory you be there.

Yes, you need to call. On our recent Eurodam cruise our departure from Barcelona was 11:00 PM.

Boarding time was NLT 6:00 PM and they had a 7:30 Muster Drill. They changed dining times to accommodate Muster Drill.

Each ship could handle this differently. Please call.

Apologies on typing debarkatiom when I meant embarkation. Duh!

Sounds like I'll have to call them to be sure. I don't think muster drill is the deciding factor though. Because of a long check in at the pier in SF pier before, on a previous NCL cruise, I boarded the ship when muster drill was underway. They had a makeup muster the next morning for the folks who missed. For this cruise, I expect a lot of people will check in then explore San Francisco and not even be onboard for the typical afternoon muster drill.

Have had a couple of 11:00 sailings with 4:00 muster drills. Passengers who arrived late had a make-up muster session the following day. But recommend you check with HAL and tell them you cannot get there to board until X:XX and is that okay. Do it via email so you have a printed copy of the answer or ask the rep to send you an email.

They had a makeup muster the next morning for the folks who missed.
Since the Concordia disaster all cruise lines have been pretty adamant about having everyone do the drill before leaving the dock. It might even be a SOLAS rule now, but I'm not sure about that. HAL's KnowBeforeYouGo doc says

Guest Emergency Drill

A Guest Emergency Drill will take place before the ship leaves

the dock in the port of embarkation, so that guests know

where to go and what to do if an alarm is sounded. During

this drill, guests will be provided clear instructions to follow

in the event of an emergency, including the location of their

muster stations, essential actions to take in an emergency,

and how to put on a life jacket. This drill is mandatory for all

guests and non-attendance may result in disembarkation. A

guest safety video is available for viewing on the guest channel

of the in-suite television from the start of embarkation until 24

hours after departure.

You may have to do a make-up drill around 8:00 or 9:00 ... or it might be that late for everyone.

Edited by jtl513

Apologies on typing debarkatiom when I meant embarkation. Duh!

Sounds like I'll have to call them to be sure. I don't think muster drill is the deciding factor though. Because of a long check in at the pier in SF pier before, on a previous NCL cruise, I boarded the ship when muster drill was underway. They had a makeup muster the next morning for the folks who missed. For this cruise, I expect a lot of people will check in then explore San Francisco and not even be onboard for the typical afternoon muster drill.

It is not uncommon for HAL to remove passengers from the ship (with no refund) if they miss the emergency drill - they take it VERY seriously. Also, it holds everyone up at their muster stations while they attempt to find the missing passengers.

It is not uncommon for HAL to remove passengers from the ship (with no refund) if they miss the emergency drill - they take it VERY seriously. Also, it holds everyone up at their muster stations while they attempt to find the missing passengers.

I have enough fate in HAL to think that they will not waste their time and that of the onboard passengers to go looking for passengers who have not even checked in yet ;) The OP is considering a late check-in which is quite acceptable in most cases where the ship leaves at 11 pm. There is really no need to be on the ship at 4 pm.