Obstructed view cabin on Norwegian star

TheGoodGuy

Hi All ,

this is our first cruise experience, and as expected, we are perturbed by a lot of factors about which we are not sure what decision to take.

We are just about to book our rooms and so need some urgent help if possible. we are being offered the obstructed view rooms on deck 8 on Norwegian star. From the pictures of the ship and looking at the deck plans I see that these rooms are right behind the lifeboats. One good thing about these rooms are that they are wheelchair accessible and so they are roomier than the regular oceanview staterooms. The rooms in question are 8122 or 8622 ..

My first question is, has anyone been in an obstructed room on norwegian star, and if so how bad( or good ) is it ? Does it really affect our cruising experience? If you have any pictures of the view from this room that would be terrific.

The second question is :

We are planning to go on the alaska tour to sawyer glacier from seattle.

One of the rooms is on starboard and the other - port side. Which one is better for viewing ( assuming that there is a little bit of view from these rooms )

Thanks in advance, and look forward to hearing from you.

Luckily, we're in 8122 last Sept. on the Star cuising to Alaska out of Seattle. A sideway cabin toward the back of ship, near the main dining room (just 4 cabins per side & a short cut via the Mexican restaurant on deck 8 MIDship that's only open on dinner, very little "traffic" & very quiet. It's 193 sf vs. regular oceanview cabin at 161 sf (partially obstructed at 50% looking out to the ocean/sea between 2 tender boats - lots of natural light) and cabin is roomy, can sleep up to 4 with 1 upper pullman.

2 regular bed can be joined as a queen bed and 3rd. bed slip underneath the twin bed & come out as needed.

There's plenty of room to move around (obviously for the wc) especially for 2 and even for 3 people. To truely enjoy Alaska's 360 degree scenic beauty, you will miss out a lot from the cabin (balcony wasn't in our budget) - dress warmly & see it from deck 12/13 or deck 7, bring an insulated mug along for a warm, toasty hot coca to take it all in. We had photos posted in webshot.com - otherwise, starboard side is a bit better, IMO.

DSC00381.jpg.a9e134c1008e6b14d988155286e7e2f2.jpg

DSC00384.jpg.496123d1b88a12c5270ba748deffd576.jpg

DSC00385.jpg.11382040ff9a1f72d27b910452ae303e.jpg

There is some view over the top of the life boats. I assume you Need the HC cabin or that you are close to the sail date and that is why you are being offered these cabins?

I ask because there are very few of them and we get very upset when able bodied people book them other than close to sailing date.

I am making the assumption that you are not one of those people.

Dear mking8288 and Arwenmark,

many thanks for responding so quickly.

One of us does need a wheel chair access. I am not sure if there are no HC rooms without obstruction or if they are offering us this since we are close to the departure date.

Since we are very new to this it is a bit confusing at times to make decisions.

The responses and photos were very very helpful.

:)

alaska is all about the scenery.. the obstructed view will take

away much of the experience..

we were about to book a one due to the price..but, changed our

minds while booking when told that the view is 90% obstructed..

rather we booked a category C and got a free upgrade to a

BB:)

Archived