Son doesn't fit in RC crib! Alternatives?

llchem

So my son is 20 months and exceeds the maximum weight AND height for the crib provided. Our own pack and play is huge(not sure if it will fit in our tiny 2 person cabin). Plus he can climb out of it anyway.

I just talked to RC and they have no other rooms open. So we need alternative ideas to thecrib. The operator said the couch is bolted and cannot be turned towards the wall. Is that true?

Any ideas is appreciated!

Edited to deleted my original reply as I finally used my reading skills to actually read what you said ;) I was initially thinking of a viable pack n play solution but you mentioned your son climbs out of it.

In that case I can think of 2 options. The first is to buy a barrier/fence type thing to use on the couch so he doesn't roll off. The second is to co-sleep with him in your bed. I'll find the link of the fence thingy I mean...

Edited by mobu2015

For the pnp on board the Height req is 24 inches and wt 30 lbs. That is the only thing they provide on rc. My son is 32 inches and 31 lbs. I could looks into a light weight pnp but then we would be paying for the pnp and an extra bag on the flight. Very pricey.

Ok I'm back...the fence thingy I was referring to is called a portable bed rail. Here's a link to an example. It's $30, if you can wedge it under the couch cushions, it might be a good solution along with pillows on the floor. Or maybe you can put the couch cushions on the floor and have your son sleep there so it isn't far if he rolls. Again, not ideal but another option.

https://m.buybuybaby.com/m/product/hide-away-43-inch-portable-bed-rail-by-regalo-reg/1015005629

For the pnp on board the Height req is 24 inches and wt 30 lbs. That is the only thing they provide on rc. My son is 32 inches and 31 lbs. I could looks into a light weight pnp but then we would be paying for the pnp and an extra bag on the flight. Very pricey.

That is small! Now you have me wondering about the pnp on NCL...better call my TA tmrw to make sure my son fits...this is a tough age since they're no longer babies but they're still not old enough not to roll off by mistake!

We have used the pnp on RCI and no way was it 24" long... It was the size of a normal porta crib as our fitted sheet we took fit it perfect.

I also don't believe any of the furniture on RCI is "bolted" down...the loveseat or sofa can be turned around also the cushions are not the loose type and so nothing can be inserted under them.

Edited by Ashland

We have used the pnp on RCI and no way was it 24" long... It was the size of a normal porta crib as our fitted sheet we took fit it perfect.

I also don't believe any of the furniture on RCI is "bolted" down...the loveseat or sofa can be turned around also the cushions are not the loose type and so nothing can be inserted under them.

They told me the max length of the child should be 24 in. Not that the crib was 24 in.

They told me the max length of the child should be 24 in. Not that the crib was 24 in.

Sorry...but regardless of what a rep is reading to you...it's the size of a normal porta crib...perhaps you should just reserve one and then you can make the decision once onboard whether to use it or not.

Many families have used them for toddlers over 24" in length.

We cruised last May with a 17 month old grandson and will be cruising again this September with our other grandson who will be 19 months old.

Best of luck with whatever you decide works for you and your toddler.

Is the couch a sleeper sofa or just a regular couch?

I do not believe that the sofa's are bolted - the ones in our cabins have not been because I moved them when my son dropped his toys behind them.

Best bet is to post on RCI forum, state which ship and cabin type you are sailing in. There will definitely be people who have sailed on same ship, in same cabin type, and maybe even in same cabin [emoji1]

We cruised on RCCL with DD at 2. She was way too big for PnP so we didn't even consider it.

The 1st night our cabin steward put out our sofa bed but DD hated it & slept with me in the regular bed (as tight as the sofa bed was in the cabin, we were not worried about her rolling off). She does not sleep in our bed at home & we didn't want her to get too used to that so we looked for another option the next day.

Our Cabin steward made a little bed on the floor with the bedding from the sofa bed (she said she'd be worried about rolling off the couch). This worked perfectly! She would have the little bed made up on the floor every evening.

When my older son was three, we turned the couch around and made it a bed. Granted, that was a while back (2008ish?) but it's what I planned to do with my younger son on our upcoming cruise. So I hope they're not bolted down!

At 14 & 26 months she slept on the couch. Disney had a rail to add to the couch, like a toddler bed. Does RCL have that?

RCL she was 3, they had a pull out couch (very small) but if you use the pillows on side, no rolling out. (dd never rolled out anyway, she's been in a queen bed since before 2).

The floor idea is perfect as well. We've done that in a hotel. I brought a crib sheet which fit over the two couch coushions perfectly.

Or co sleep with lo in the middle.

We co sleep while on a cruise, I've a 7 year old who I still don't trust in a Pullman as he will fall out, it's a lovely holiday treat - extra cuddles for us all and thankfully the queen beds are huge so plenty of room for 3!

• 1 month later...

24 inches is tiny. I don't know many toddlers that small. That's crazy if it's true! My daughter (19 months) weighs around 27/28lb and is more like 34 inches. A child who is 30lb but only 24 inches would be very round [emoji15].

I'm not sure how many average 1+ toddlers would meet those requirements. Where did you get the info from. I would call and double check.

Maybe post on the RC thread to see of someone else has been recently who can advise.

Edited by moqui_girl

I honestly think the cruise lines deliberately set very small maximum values for cribs to avoid potential liability and mitigate bad publicity if anything bad ever happened to a child in a crib. If - god forbid - a child ever got hurt, then the cruise line would be able to stand in front of the tv cameras and say, "we're very sorry, but the parents never should have put a child that big in that crib and its the parent's fault for not following the safety regulations listed on our website." Some lawyer or publicist probably realized that no parent was likely to cancel a cruise just because their kid was too big for a pack n play, so it was an easy way to avoid liability.

We haven't sailed on RC, but our son was far larger than the maximum allowed size for a pack n play on HAL, and he was perfectly fine. If the pack n play doesn't work, you will probably be able to turn the couch around. If the couch is bolted to the floor, then you will be able to remove the cushions and build a little nest on the floor and tell your kid he or she is camping indoors.

I don't believe the size and weight limitations actually have anything to do with the PNP or crib. It has to do with occupancy and lifeboat capacity.

To the OP, is your cabin designated for 3 people? Sofa bed or Pullman? I suspect it is, since you've told the booking agent your child's size, so if he/she exceeds those limits they would only book you in a 3 person cabin.

It all has to do with the definition of "infant in arms". Just like the airlines allow an "infant in arms" to sit in your seat with you, SOLAS allows "infant in arms" to be carried in excess of lifeboat stated capacity. Now, most "infant" lifejackets are limited to 35 lbs. of buoyancy, so that is where the weight limit comes from. Some ships provide an infant PFD that is like a bag that you zip the little one into, so that is where the height limitation comes, as you can't squeeze a too tall child into these "bags".

But I do believe the couch can be turned to the wall, regardless of what the booking agent has said.

I've only looked at sailing Carnival, NCL and RC but from what I was told, the "infant in arms" is children under 6 months old and those three lines won't let you sail with a child under 6 months old. Any child booked is counted the same as adults regarding occupancy in cabins and lifeboats. At least on the three lines I mentioned that was consistently what I was told. The size limits on portacribs, etc, tends to be a lot smaller than most realize. We were at a Double Tree Inn when my son was 9 months old. He was too big (according to the safety info) for the crib they brought us. When I called the front desk, there said it was good for children up to 3 years old. After some discussion, someone came up and looked at the sticker on the crib and just said, "well...... I don't know what to say". We had a pack n play in the trunk and used that for the night. They comped our room.