In the light of the recent atrocities..

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from Monte Carlo - Rome on Sojourn , Security is now level 1 .

The only difference is that you are thoroughly scanned with a metal detector and you bag is searched ,everything is looked at, even opening eyeglass cases .

We were on the same cruise and I asked why they were using hand scanners and searching bags by hand when they could use the scanning machines on board and they said it was so there wasn't a queue on the tender platform which I thought was strange as it is normally a quick process. They did use the machines on the 2 days we were docked. PS. It was a great cruise with lovely ports and great weather.

Well Tilly don't leave your house as the terror alert level for the UK, not outside the UK, but the UK itself is the highest its been since 7/7/05. I was just there and the news and the papers kept emphasizing that. I support the Brits who stayed in Sousse after the attacks. As one was quoted, "I'm not going to let the terrorists have power over me" Good on him.

Stay calm and carry on.

Well Tilly don't leave your house as the terror alert level for the UK, not outside the UK, but the UK itself is the highest its been since 7/7/05. I was just there and the news and the papers kept emphasizing that. I support the Brits who stayed in Sousse after the attacks. As one was quoted, "I'm not going to let the terrorists have power over me" Good on him.

Stay calm and carry on.

What??

I was just commenting on the return from my last cruise, no one is panicking, merely reporting back on security at istanbul which has increased significantly since my last visit!

What??

I was just commenting on the return from my last cruise, no one is panicking, merely reporting back on security at istanbul which has increased significantly since my last visit!

Sorry Tilly. I obviously misunderstood.

I find it faintly amusing that the UK Foreign Office has produced a map where a high threat level is indicated in red with the advice to be vigilant if travelling to those countries (it includes France, Spain and others as well as the usual suspects). The killer is that the UK is also red! My simplistic mind therefore tells me that travelling is at least as safe as staying at home.

Edited by Tothesunset

I echo those who are avoiding Russia and Dubai because of repressive governments. I have also shared the regret recently with friends that the number of safe, acceptable places for world travelers to visit seems to be shrinking. Alas! I hope that this changes. Positive changes in places such as South Africa and Mozambique make one hopeful.

I am booked on the Odyssey in September for Greek isles and Turkey, with a non-American childhood friend who has been planning her trip with me for months ( she rarely travels) so I am not cancelling despite Greek financial problems. I will just bring piles of Euros in case credit cards are not honored in restaurants etc in Greece, and will stick to shore excursions Seabourn sponsors in Turkey. I would not have booked this cruise in the first place if I had known about the mess coming to a head right now in Greece, though a good friend whose family is from a tiny Greek island off the coast of Turkey tells me people need foreign visitors now who pay cash more than ever, they are hurting.

But if the trip were to Tunisia, given they have had two major events recently targeted against western tourists, ( the museum murders of cruisers, and the beach attacks) I would have cancelled, it would not be worth the anxiety it would cause DH at home wondering how I am doing. I was in London around the 7/7 Islamic terrorist bombings, and in Moscow the time of the Islamic terrorist subway bombings a few years ago, and that is enough :(

We too will be going to Greece and Turkey on the Odyssey. Personally I am not concerned, if I were, I would have cancelled my trip before the final payment was due. When people stop going somewhere because of fear then the terrorists win. I won't stop going to the UK or Paris just because there are random acts of terror just as I will continue to go to Boston and New York. Yes, there are places I would not give 1 second of thought to going (Syria, Iran, Iraq to name but a few), but the financial issues in Greece should not make one not go there, spending money in small businesses will help the locals who suffer and it is the government that brought about the mess. I've heard stories about businesses in Greece that keep 2 sets of books: the real one and the one for the government when it comes time for taxes. How true that is, I can't say, but I heard it from multiple people so maybe there is at least some truth to it and some of the issues are brought about by the business people in addition to the government? Honestly I do not know, but look forward to my trip.

. . . . SNIP

spending money in small businesses will help the locals who suffer and it is the government that brought about the mess. I've heard stories about businesses in Greece that keep 2 sets of books: the real one and the one for the government when it comes time for taxes. How true that is, I can't say, but I heard it from multiple people so maybe there is at least some truth to it and some of the issues are brought about by the business people in addition to the government? Honestly I do not know, but look forward to my trip.

Sadly, I understand from Greeks that double books is often true in Greece and tax evasion is a national sport, a matter of pride, given there is widespread corruption in government and the population itself, plus high taxation. And equally sadly, the government was elected by the majority of the people, who want early retirement and large pensions, and a northern European lifestyle, but without the personalities, work ethic, and limitations in corruption and rule of law that are needed for semi-solvent affluence. My dear Greek friend's cousin needed coronary bypass surgery, but the "free" Greek healthcare system surgeon said he required an 8000 Euro "facilitation" fee if he wanted it done soon and without waiting a year. So the extended family gathered up 8000 Euro from the island and relatives abroad in an "envelope", which was then presumably tax-free income to the surgeon, and the cousin got the surgery.

It is very difficult for a hard-working small businessman who did NOT vote for the serial governments that spent too much to honestly make it without some greasing and evasion. However, corruption in taxes does not put the lives of foreign tourists at risk, whereas terrorists targeting westerners does, and fortunately there is almost none of that in still beautiful Greece.

Just come back from Greece and Turkey Odyssey cruise and aside of extra security measures at the port and airport, you would no nothing about the greek financial crisis if you were not made aware of it from the media. Everything on the islands was open as usual and atmosphere was just as good

I echo those who are avoiding Russia and Dubai because of repressive governments. I have also shared the regret recently with friends that the number of safe, acceptable places for world travelers to visit seems to be shrinking. Alas! I hope that this changes. Positive changes in places such as South Africa and Mozambique make one hopeful.

A young Australian women was jailed and then deported from Abu Dhabi this week for having posted a photo on Facebook of a car blocking 2 Disabled parking spots.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/australian-woman-deported-uae-facebook-post-150714214424659.html