port klang /KL

dalliowner

We will be stopping here in December and having looked at the Seabourn trips nothing looks that attractive. Has anybody any other suggestions as the port itself looks fairly dull to stay on the ship:D

We have taken the city tour ( KL) before and enjoyed most of it with SB.

However we often find with some of the tours they offer it is the long drawn out lunch, obligatory shopping stops,the Pewter factory, Batik demonstrations etc.

When we were there in January some passengers went by taxi to KL and had a good potter around themselves. We went on an afternoon trip to Putrajaya which was quite interesting. The city was about an hour away.

As you say nothing to do in the port. Slightly digressing we often find SB tours overpriced and lacking in imagination and so depending which port we are in we do our own thing. On our last cruise the cruise tours manager was pretty bad

which invited many complaints from passengers.

Kind regards

Tony

We will be stopping here in December and having looked at the Seabourn trips nothing looks that attractive. Has anybody any other suggestions as the port itself looks fairly dull to stay on the ship:D

When we were there in 2013 Seabourn was running a shuttle to a nearby shopping Mall. After obtaining what we were after within 10 minutes, we caught the same bus back!

We usually do tours on our own but having dealt with the taxi mafia at Port Klang Port on a previous visit in 2012 we opted to do the Seabourn to KL shuttle in 2015. For the two of us this didn't cost that much more then the taxi quote........maybe some are better at bargaining though. We had peace of mind about traffic which can be very bad around KL.

I prebooked our tickets to go up the Petronas Towers which can only be done one month ahead of time. I booked the 1pm time slot though probably could have done the 12.30pm. The view was amazing and as you got to see from the top as well as walking across the bridge between the two towers. We had lunch at Madam Kwan's in the food hall in the higher floor of the shopping centre attached to the towers. It was recommended by our guide and it was clean, tasty and a good price so what we all like. There were lots of places to choose from all frequented by obvious business people on their lunch break. The shopping mall had lots of high end fashion houses there. Luckily for my DH I didn't buy anything. :D

The other thing we did was catch the monorail from the Petronas Towers to close to where our shuttle bus was. We loved this travelling with residents and I got some interesting photos of the Towers and other icons from a different perspective. The shuttle area also had a shopping mall near it but this was more every day and tourist stuff, though it was very big.

Our guide on the bus was helpful on the long drive to KL with maps and helping people know how to get to various places to visit. I'm not sure if they are all like that or we just got lucky. One benefit was there was a traffic delay on the way back and our driver had to take a different way on the freeway but even though we knew we would just make it we also knew the ship would wait for us. This was my main reason to play it safe this time.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Just a hint with tickets. I had luckily taken a photo of my screen shot of the tickets on my phone with the barcode and the whole ticket when I received the email confirming the purchase. Because I confess, I left the paper tickets in our room in the haste to get off the ship. They were happy to take this when I showed my drivers licence as proof of ID.

Edited by frantic36

Our visit in November to KL was by a private guide and his minivan for the

4 of us.

I have to say that the highlight was the Selangor Pewter factory and shop with its short historical tour. I did not care much for the temple accessed by a couple of hundred steps off a highway and with lots of monkeys near KL.

We did go to a big indoor clothing and souvenir market near where the 2 rivers meet (meaning of KL) in the center of town and saw the colonial era government, court and cricket grounds- all next to the padang. That was a bonus but the traffic and distance from the ship were not.

About the Petonas Towers, we were not as organized as was Frantic36- maybe next time I will stick with her!!!- so my advice would be if you are going into town get tickets in advance as she did. We stopped at the base and had lunch in a very busy food court on its second floor. OK but lots of schoolchildren and office workers - which made for an interesting experience.

I see that the Encore pre-maiden does not stop in KL but does in Langkawi, a simple beach resort type of place. That's a more comfortable choice and I would reserve my energies for historical and other sightseeing for other Asian capitals during one's cruise.

Happy sailing!

I was prepared to be completely underwhelmed by KL, but was pleasantly surprised. We decided to do the very basic tour of KL offered by the ship. First to the National Monument, then down to the colonial buildings of Independence Square, and finally to the KL tower. The city is green and pleasant, the colonial heart of town is architecturally interesting. I thought the KL tower would be a second best to the Petronas Towers, but when we got there we realised why they were taking us up - it has the best views of the Petronas Towers that you can imagine.

We were back on the ship for a late lunch, and sat on the deck watching crocodiles swim around the ship.

I enjoyed KL (in a low key sort of way) much more than I expected.

dalliowner

There was only a few passengers left on the ship as most had gone off for the tour to KL, so we had lovely quiet morning. We were pleasantly surprised by the tour- a wonderful lake and city. The boat tour lasted about on hour.

All the details for this tour will be on line-SB excursions.

Kind regards

Tony