In the light of the recent atrocities..

Will Seabourn be stepping up security or indeed changing itineraries for those ships based from or in the Turkish/eastern med?

Has anyone experienced stepped up security in the light of terrorist attacks in the past??

Just intrigued as to what will happen, and or whether people are considering cancellation this summer.

We are Odyssey next week in Greece and Turkey. It never occured to me to question security at these ports based on events hundreds of miles from there in Tunisia, France and Kuwait. Nor do I expect it has occured to Seabourn either.

Happy sailing!

Well it would be interesting to see from any returning passengers if there are any changes made to security. As i am sure the threat never occured to the tourists in Tunisia either. And as there is a heightened security threat in Turkey one wonders what additonal measures SB do take.

We are Odyssey next week in Greece and Turkey. It never occured to me to question security at these ports based on events hundreds of miles from there in Tunisia, France and Kuwait. Nor do I expect it has occured to Seabourn either.

Happy sailing!

Markham,

Seabourn are well on this and with good reason.

The Foreign office in the UK are advising that you only take tours with well known and reputable companies but I guess that we would only do this anyway.

Just try to be vigilant and have a lovely time aboard the Odyssey.

Mr Luxury,

My plans for Greece involve bringing cash and enjoying big and boozy lunches on top of whatever Seabourn morning tour I may take. I feel very sorry for the Greek people and credit the John Humphreys article in today's Sunday Times news review section "Let Me Slay the Big Fat Greek Myth" for my sense of what they are facing now. And so I urge everyone with internet access to read his personal account and observations in order to grasp the big picture there.

About Turkey, another big lunch is planned in Marmaris and a couple of Seabourn tours too. Tourism is very important and I have full confidence is their security infrastructure (as opposed to that of Tunisia). It will all fly by as it's only a week cruise... It will be great to see Capt Dexter and Hotel Manager Daniel Putzhammer again!

Happy sailing!

It is important to understand that these terrible events are one off acts carried out by isolated individuals or small groups as opposed to whole countries over run by terrorists.

In most cases counter terrorism officers are able to nip things in the bud before harm can be done. Some countries have better resources than others.

Media coverage is extensive and the shock waves are felt worldwide. Those waves are also disproportionate to the actual risk, but of course that's how and why terrorists act in the way they do.

Statistically you should be more concerned about mechanical failure or pilot error when boarding the aircraft.

Cruise ships offer good protection from opportunist attack. Entry is regulated, random vehicles can't get close and their construction consists of a cohesive metal structure.

Seabourn and other operators have a good history of evaluating risk and adjusting itineraries accordingly. If there is any doubt they take the safe option.

H

Edited by Able Seaman H

Speaking of Turkey and certain other countries (like Russia), your personal safety might depend on who you are. I just read that Turkish police just attacked the gay pride participants in Istanbul with water cannons, rubber bullets and tear gas. Not sure you can rely on the Turkish forces for protection!

Many countries of the world have less open minded or politically correct views when it comes to non heterosexual relationships or individuals who don't conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

With that in mind it is often wise not to openly flaunt yourself when travelling in the same way it might not be appropriate for people to wear potentially immodest clothing which is considered mainstream back home.

There are umpteen different things to avoid when treading foreign soil. Camouflaged patterned clothing in the Caribbean, any negative reference to his Majesty the King in Thailand and don't eat with your left hand for instance, even if you are left handed.

My experience is that the world isn't out to get you unless you prod it first with a sharp stick.

Henry :)

We are currently holidaying in Crete (that's Greece by the way.....for the less informed!) not on a cruise but land holiday! We have experienced nothing but fabulous people, food and wine. I just love these things kicking off, because it scares the yanks away!........and that is a quote of an American couple staying at our hotel!

We are currently holidaying in Crete (that's Greece by the way.....for the less informed!) not on a cruise but land holiday! We have experienced nothing but fabulous people, food and wine. I just love these things kicking off, because it scares the yanks away!........and that is a quote of an American couple staying at our hotel!

We spent a few days in Greece last fall and we loved it. The food was good and the people were delightful.

As to scaring the yanks away, we are from the US and we don't consider ourselves to be the "ugly Americans" that some seem to stereotype people from my country to be. I can assure you that we have met some truly obnoxious people I wouldn't want to share a meal with from many countries including your own.

Didn't realize that "yanks" were flooding the hotels in Crete. Interesting. I wonder if this quote were to be used with any other nationality - fill in the blank - it would be considered cringe-worthy (yes that's probably a "yank-ism - deal with it.) Would love for you to name your source..."Mr. & Mrs. Smith from Akron, Ohio, perhaps?"

Acts of terrorism are now, in terms of territory, random. And that is exactly the point of the terrorist. You do not know where or when the next attack will occur and so will no longer feel perfectly safe on a subway , on a bus, on a ship, in a shopping mall or in a supermarket …..in fact, anywhere in the world: Canada, USA, UK, France, Denmark, Holland, Germany, Tunisia, etc. They can and will strike where they can. Everyone I know is thinking twice about plans for the next trip. My thinking is that we have to go on with our lives as planned, or they will win the war because of our fear.

The economic crisis in Greece is another matter entirely. Tourism, their biggest business, may become their biggest worry. Hopefully, Greece will not become another target for terrorists, homegrown or otherwise, because of the economic turmoil and weakness of government there.

. I just love these things kicking off, because it scares the yanks away!........and that is a quote of an American couple staying at our hotel!

I wonder what is meant by " these things kicking off". I hope no one is taking pleasure in others misfortunes.

I wonder what is meant by " these things kicking off". I hope no one is taking pleasure in others misfortunes.

Their words not mine and they were referring to the financial crisis here in Greece. Who on earth would support/refer to terrorism in that way!

Bostonactor, I agree with your reasoning no one knows what is round the corner in the world we now live in.

We will stay in Istanbul for a few days before our cruise, as planned, we will keep our wits about us as we would in any city and enjoy ourselves.

We will take plenty of Euro's so that we can still visit the port stops in Greece and enjoy the fantastic hospitality of the Greek people.

Life has to go on ,on the UK news this morning German tourists are still arriving in Tunisia as planned.

For those that are concerned about safety in Tunisia or other countries in the area, I trust you would also avoid Boston, New York, London, Paris, Oklahoma City. Not to mention those areas with endemic diseases which have carried off more visitors than terroroists have by many factors of 10.

Clearly, there exists risk in all aspects of travel but the hysterical response of the the media to isolated incidents such as that in Sousse only serve to hyperbolise what is still a minimal risk to travellers when all possible threats (air travel, traffic accidents, disease etc) are taken into account. Having said that I, for one, wouldn't take a day trip to Damascas, Baghdad, Kabul or anywhere else where there has been and continues to be a severe threat to Westerners.

I think some perspective is needed on this issue.

Worked in Central London during the IRA bombing campaign.

When you think of the wartime spirit in our country during the last war.

Many cities suffered severe casualties / deaths.

We were not defeated and never will be.

Personally, I will avoid places like Turkey (much as I love it) and Russia not for threat of terrorism but for their hateful, bigoted governments.

Would you consider Dubai?? Just curious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorge,

In terms of safety or bigoted gov'ts?

Also i must say your Shibas look lovely!!

Both, the bigoted gov'ts make a very unsafe place for the GLBT community.

I would also avoid that area because of slavery.

Thank you for your compliment about my Shibas, they were young then, they are 12 and 13 now; and I love them the same or even more.

Jorge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk