Luxury? Really? By the Pool?

I recently returned from a Seabourn Sojourn cruise. Being a huge fan of Oceania and Regent I was looking forward to giving Seabourn a try and glad I did. Unfortunately, my wife and I as well as the other couple we were traveling with were disappointed and underwhelmed on so many levels ranging from condition of the ship (for a relatively new ship) to variety of food and some major dining service flaws which were consistent. The stateroom attendants were amazing. One area that really surprised me was the lack of comfort at the pool areas. It may sound silly to some, but as sun worship people we really love and have become accustomed to the posh lounge cushions with terry cloth covers and huge towels on Regent and Oceania. I was really surprised that Seabourn literally has the same lounges as Carnival and Holland America WITHOUT any cushion by the pool. Laying for even short periods was really uncomfortable and there is a support bar that rides into your back. Is this usual and typical for Seabourn or was there something unusual about our cruise? Maybe just an off week? Hmmmmm.....just that for a "luxury" brand with "luxury" prices we expected more.

Other than the pool lounger issue, which does not change from cruise to cruise, it would be helpful if you provided more details on the areas that disappointed you. What were the dining issues? what exactly were the issues with the condition of the ship?

Edited by Sunprince

Before our first SB cruise when I saw the photos of the deck furniture on the SB website I was surprised that it didn't consist of the "posh lounge cushions" that you describe. That's what we were used to on Silversea and in the hotels we stay at.

However, for me it's not uncomfortable and I'm guessing that the majority of SB guests don't suffer either, or we'd hear more complaints about it. But of course, what matters to you and your party is your own comfort and when it's lacking, it's natural that you're unhappy about it.

I believe that SB is actually in the process of changing some pool deck furniture but I haven't seen the new choices so I don't know if it will be more as you describe.

What does surprise me in your post is that you refer to the condition of the ship in a negative way. Can you tell us more about what faults you found? I was last onboard in January and Sojourn was looking lovely.

Any cruise line can miss the mark from time to time. It's a pity that you had a bad experience with Seabourn. I hope that you mentioned the things that you were unhappy with on both your mid-and post-cruise questionnaires.

Just to add, we were disappointed by our first SB cruise, found lots of service gaps and inconsistencies, had to change to a different suite, poor food on occasion, suite attendant was lacking and so on. But almost everyone else we spoke to during that cruise had a great cruise. We went back only because Seabourn had the right short itinerary on the right dates for us and our friends, so we gave it another try. Every cruise since that one has been just wonderful.

We're back on Sojourn in a couple of months, so I'd definitely like to hear more about your disappointments with the food and service, in addition to ship's condition.

Could you tell us which SB ship...and the names of the main players [e.g. maitre d'] ..as well as condition problems as you might receive more replies.

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your cruise. I appreciate that a cruise is an expensive choice so 'one off' is not a good explanation.

I have sailed SB several times and have enjoyed it. However, I absolutely agree re; the poolside [& veranda] chairs. I put 2 or 3 towels on them to cushion them and ,unfortunately, know well the 'bar' to which you refer.

I have enjoyed some very good cuisine aboard SB and some that I would consider fair at best but that is what I experienced on Regent as well. Mostly my service has been good but there also can be inconsistencies.. which,again,I have experienced on Regent. Have not sailed Oceania which receives rave reviews for cuisine.

Currently I will not sail SB in the Med because they close their MDR for lunch. I hope that the latter as well as the experiences you report turn around and do not reflect an ownership issue on SB. The SB staff generally is terrific and Ihope that was your experience.

..as well as condition problems as you might receive more replies.

Yes, this is an issue I definitely would like to hear more about.

I can't imagine what's happened to Sojourn since January and in addition am selfishly concerned about our upcoming cruise!

The verandah furniture has sometimes been a bit worn looking, but I found the same thing on Silversea, on their ship that had been in service for less than 18 months at the time. I just assumed it was due to the salt in the air.

I recently returned from a Seabourn Sojourn cruise. Being a huge fan of Oceania and Regent I was looking forward to giving Seabourn a try and glad I did. Unfortunately, my wife and I as well as the other couple we were traveling with were disappointed and underwhelmed on so many levels ranging from condition of the ship (for a relatively new ship) to variety of food and some major dining service flaws which were consistent. The stateroom attendants were amazing. One area that really surprised me was the lack of comfort at the pool areas. It may sound silly to some, but as sun worship people we reallytt love and have become accustomed to the posh lounge cushions with terry cloth covers and huge towels on Regent and Oceania. I was really surprised that Seabourn literally has the same lounges as Carnival and Holland America WITHOUT any cushion by the pool. Laying for even short periods was really uncomfortable and there is a support bar that rides into your back. Is this usual and typical for Seabourn or was there something unusual about our cruise? Maybe just an off week? Hmmmmm.....just that for a "luxury" brand with "luxury" prices we expected more.

I was interested to read your comments so I looked for a review here on CC and I see that you did write one but it was about a cruise on the Sojourn in November 2013. In your review you discussed many of the issues you mentioned here. Did you try Seabourn Sojourn again and find the same things? If not, I find it curious that you decided to bring up your cruise now. I don't think of a cruise completed a year and a half ago as one from which I "recently returned". That's not to say that I discount your opinions at all, but in 19 months many things may have changed on a ship if you haven't been on her since then.

Sojourn came out of dry dock for the leg ex Monaco on 9 May. We were on the ship for 21 days. The ship was in overall great condition with improvements like the heaters to the outdoor dining areas, new pool deck etc. Having done about 100 days prior on Sojourn (leaving aside other ships in the fleet) the only fault I saw was that there appeared to be a leak from the newly fitted awnings over the outdoor area of Colonnades. This caused water from the morning wash down on the deck above to sometimes drip on the tables on each extremity. As to the pool furniture, it's similar to what it's always been. Nothing I would worry about - but maybe others would?

I was interested to read your comments so I looked for a review here on CC and I see that you did write one but it was about a cruise on the Sojourn in November 2013. In your review you discussed many of the issues you mentioned here. Did you try Seabourn Sojourn again and find the same things? If not, I find it curious that you decided to bring up your cruise now. I don't think of a cruise completed a year and a half ago as one from which I "recently returned". That's not to say that I discount your opinions at all, but in 19 months many things may have changed on a ship if you haven't been on her since then.

Good research there Sunviking. The use of "recent" had me thinking it was within the past month or two. A year and a half post-cruise, already left a bad review, so I do wonder if OP is genuinely seeking a dialogue or just to here to stir the pot.

For me, the review has a rather supercilious tone. I do get the impression that OP believes that he's far more discerning than those of us who choose Seabourn regularly.

So perhaps it's my lack of sophistication ;) that brings me to the conclusion that I do not recognise the ship or the crew that he describes in the review. I was onboard Sojourn in July 2013, 3 months or so prior to the OP, and I was onboard Sojourn again in March 2014, just about 4 months after the OP.

It's unfortunate that the cruise wasn't up to OP's standards. I'd like to know whether he addressed the issues he experienced whilst he was still on board, and if so what the response was?

In the meantime I'm relieved to know that these comments are based on a cruise from a year and a half ago, and will look forward to my Sojourn cruise in September, safe in the knowledge that she hasn't turned into a poorly managed and staffed rust bucket since I was last onboard a few months ago.

Just two points - I have to agree that the Seabourn deck loungers are not comfortable enough, as compared with some other lines.

However, I too would like to know from the OP whether they have genuinely been on a 'recent' Seabourn cruise, please.

Just two points - I have to agree that the Seabourn deck loungers are not comfortable enough, as compared with some other lines.

However, I too would like to know from the OP whether they have genuinely been on a 'recent' Seabourn cruise, please.

Interesting, the OP's prior posts only seem to indicate roll calls on Oceania and Celebrity???

I recently returned from a Seabourn Sojourn cruise. Being a huge fan of Oceania and Regent I was looking forward to giving Seabourn a try and glad I did. Unfortunately, my wife and I as well as the other couple we were traveling with were disappointed and underwhelmed on so many levels ranging from condition of the ship (for a relatively new ship) to variety of food and some major dining service flaws which were consistent. The stateroom attendants were amazing. One area that really surprised me was the lack of comfort at the pool areas. It may sound silly to some, but as sun worship people we really love and have become accustomed to the posh lounge cushions with terry cloth covers and huge towels on Regent and Oceania. I was really surprised that Seabourn literally has the same lounges as Carnival and Holland America WITHOUT any cushion by the pool. Laying for even short periods was really uncomfortable and there is a support bar that rides into your back. Is this usual and typical for Seabourn or was there something unusual about our cruise? Maybe just an off week? Hmmmmm.....just that for a "luxury" brand with "luxury" prices we expected more.

For the money you paid to take this cruise you have every right to be upset. To say every cruise line misses the mark once in a while is a bunch of b$%# for what the people are paying there is no excuse if they want to lower their standards then they should lower their prices

:eek:

To say every cruise line misses the mark once in a while is a bunch of b$LL0015%#

:eek:

Actually I said that "any cruise line CAN miss the mark" and thank you so much for saying my opinion is a bunch of whatever. Charming.

You obviously have no grip on reality as to how things really are in the service world. Enjoy your Celebrity cruises.

Edited to add, I've just checked this poster's CC history, clearly a troll just trying to stir it up.

Edited by Ravenscroft

Everyone likes different things obviously. I've sailed on Regent five times and Oceania once...having now sailed on Seabourn I would never consider sailing on the other two lines again.

Oceania's pool area gets very crowded, and if you don't save a lounge chair by 8 am, you may not be able to sit in the shade.

Food wise, no comparison IMO. I know two other friends who sailed on the Riviera separately before I did and they feel the same way.

The decor on Oceania is tacky and downright silly in places ( Jacques ).

Too each their own !

Edited by Kevnzworld

Well, the OP has not made a reappearance so we probably know where he/she went. I will be embarking the Sojourn on Wed. Not having sailed on Seabourn before I am looking forward to it, but will offer a balanced review. Based on everything I have read so far, I expect a wonderful experience on Seabourn! I will report back.

Everyone likes different things obviously. I've sailed on Regent five times and Oceania once...having now sailed on Seabourn I would never consider sailing on the other two lines again.

Oceania's pool area gets very crowded, and if you don't save a lounge chair by 8 am, you may not be able to sit in the shade.

Food wise, no comparison IMO. I know two other friends who sailed on the Riviera separately before I did and they feel the same way.

The decor on Oceania is tacky and downright silly in places ( Jacques ).

Too each their own !

In my Oceania experience the staff were actually very good about booting the hogs. So unless you were there at say 0730 and holding on throughout the day...enjoy your wait. Further Oceania was the only cruise Ive been on where the staff had to remove alcohol from the hands of guests. Odd that the OP wont clarify.

• 4 weeks later...