Cuba

You read my mind! Here's a link to an article that says the Adonia, currently in service for P&O Cruises, will sail social-impact cruises for Fathom. The picture of the ship looks a lot like the Seabourn ships -http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnivals-new-Fathom-brand-to-sail-to-Cuba

Edited by Paminflorida

I have a feeling in five years it may have lost much of the nostalgic charm it currently has. Just imagine what will happen once they have the opportunity to buy new cars -- the streets will no longer look like a scene from the 50's.

I have a feeling in five years it may have lost much of the nostalgic charm it currently has. Just imagine what will happen once they have the opportunity to buy new cars -- the streets will no longer look like a scene from the 50's.

If by "nostalgic charm" you mean the misery inflicted on the Cuban people by the dictatorship, I say good riddance. If you want to see peeling paint, poverty and prostitution, go now. Let's hope there is a better future for a long-suffering nation.

Cuba is very high on our bucket list, although the other destinations on the list seem to keep nudging it a bit lower. We have looked closely at the YourCuba cruises as a way to visit more than just Havana and have a cosy ship to return to each night. We will probably end up with a land-based tour in the near future, probably one that is focused on music.

I find it interesting that some decry Cuba trips as "helping" the Castro regime. Why is there not the same angst over the increasingly popular cruise itineraries featuring Viet Nam. Where tens of thousands of Americans died and where there is a Communist government in charge? Imo, cruises allow a bit of personal interface, usually a good thing.

One of my most adventurous friends ( a retired semi-pro photographer) recently spent 5 days in Cuba. Yeah, they had a cool 50s convertible and their hotel was nice, but everything else was quite sketchy/dodgy, if one ventured a few blocks from the hotel-- nothing has been maintained for decades and its all crumbling, which she said is overall the case, everywhere she went in Cuba. She said most of the people were okay, but the country is just dirty, decrepit and super depressed-- overall feeling of malaise (are there really any truly happy people in a Communist country?) After two days there, she said she could not wait to leave asap. I hope Cuba rebounds, and am sorry its people have been so repressed for so long, but it sure isn't someplace I want to spend vacation time.

One of my most adventurous friends ( a retired semi-pro photographer) recently spent 5 days in Cuba. Yeah, they had a cool 50s convertible and their hotel was nice, but everything else was quite sketchy/dodgy, if one ventured a few blocks from the hotel-- nothing has been maintained for decades and its all crumbling, which she said is overall the case, everywhere she went in Cuba. She said most of the people were okay, but the country is just dirty, decrepit and super depressed-- overall feeling of malaise (are there really any truly happy people in a Communist country?) After two days there, she said she could not wait to leave asap. I hope Cuba rebounds, and am sorry its people have been so repressed for so long, but it sure isn't someplace I want to spend vacation time.

What you describe is about what I expect it to be like. That's a major reason I want to first see Cuba from a small cruise ship like Seabourn or SeaDream. Then, when I am depressed from seeing squalor, I can look forward to anchoring off a pretty beach for some fun in the sun and the great food and service on the ship. We are very fortunate to have such options.:D

I have several friends who have travelled there in the past few years and NONE of them describe what the above poster does. They were captivated by the people, the culture, the music, the food. If you are determined to look for things that are wrong you will certainly find them. That's what makes Cruise Critic so popular.

I have several friends who have travelled there in the past few years and NONE of them describe what the above poster does. They were captivated by the people, the culture, the music, the food. If you are determined to look for things that are wrong you will certainly find them. That's what makes Cruise Critic so popular.

That's good to hear. Maybe we will be on the same cruise. I will get the first round at La Floridita.:D

Now that Carnival ... fathom Brand (first I've heard of it),

Apparently from reading Kiplinger's it is a new line offering "impact travel vacations" starting in 2016. Same article talks about voluntarism - giving back. No further details except that prices to Dominican Republic start at $1540 per week- not clarified but assume per person.

That's good to hear. Maybe we will be on the same cruise. I will get the first round at La Floridita.:D

That would be a pleasure. And I'm sure there'll be more than one round for me to reciprocate.

What you describe is about what I expect it to be like. That's a major reason I want to first see Cuba from a small cruise ship like Seabourn or SeaDream. Then, when I am depressed from seeing squalor, I can look forward to anchoring off a pretty beach for some fun in the sun and the great food and service on the ship. We are very fortunate to have such options.:D

Looks like the luxurious Europa2 will be 4 nights in Cuba as part of their Caribbean cruise fall 2016. But I am not signing up for that anymore than for travel to any other country where people are not allowed to vote with their feet and leave if they choose to do so without having the government consider it a crime for which you can be thrown in prison. Currently, you can exit Russia, and Nam ( obviously not the case in the past and at least in Russia it might revert back to the old days when attempting to leave was a serious criminal offense). But

Russia at least has historic museums and scenery ( e.g., Petersburg/ Leningrad) whereas Cuba has nothing you cannot get on other Caribbean islands or Miami, other than bragging rights that you were there and met some nice people who may or may not feel free to speak openly with you.

And yes, if I were gay, and out, I would avoid Russia and the Middle East, other than Israel, and not push my luck

I was fortunate to go to Cuba about 2 years ago with UCLA Alumni Travel. It was an amazing experience. There are a lot of issues for the people to tackle once the country 'opens up'. It is charming but stuck in the past. The people we met were lovely but do not have the basic necessities of modern living. I think the transition is going to be rough and if Havana becomes another Miami it will be a mistake. I just hope the people will finally be able to find satisfying work, have the ability to provide for their families and have some fun. Coming home made me very appreciative of our country and the things we take for granted.

Looks like the luxurious Europa2 will be 4 nights in Cuba as part of their Caribbean cruise fall 2016. But I am not signing up for that anymore than for travel to any other country where people are not allowed to vote with their feet and leave if they choose to do so without having the government consider it a crime for which you can be thrown in prison. Currently, you can exit Russia, and Nam ( obviously not the case in the past and at least in Russia it might revert back to the old days when attempting to leave was a serious criminal offense). But

Russia at least has historic museums and scenery ( e.g., Petersburg/ Leningrad) whereas Cuba has nothing you cannot get on other Caribbean islands or Miami, other than bragging rights that you were there and met some nice people who may or may not feel free to speak openly with you.

And yes, if I were gay, and out, I would avoid Russia and the Middle East, other than Israel, and not push my luck

So you're giving Russia a break because they have museums and scenery. Those are important to you, obviously. Maybe Cuba offers things that are important to other people. And try telling them they don't have any scenery.