Seabourn in the Med

PaulaJK

If you are in the Med this year with Seabourn, just curious whether they still close the MDR for lunch. Would also appreciate an update on cuisine and entertainment. I am certain that the staff, service and attitude is excellent.

We did a week from Venice to Athens on the Odyssey and the dining room NEVER opened for breakfast or lunch. I am not a big fan of buffets and - as a first timer on Seabourn - this was my biggest gripe. Even mass market lines such as P&O open their dining rooms three times a day (four if you count afternoon tea) and I was really really disappointed that Seabourn chose not to.

Scottish, sorry about your disappointment but just because there was a buffet it did not mean you had to serve yourself. All you had to do was ask your waiter what was available and they would have been more than happy to bring it to your table.

We just left Odyssey's one week Istanbul to Istanbul cruise with calls daily in Greece and Turkey.

The weather was glorious and we ate breakfasts and lunches in the Colonnade outside and dinners in the MDR. Service and food quality was superb and I especially liked the stronger level of spiciness in those foods that call for it- as prepared by the Swedish chef in the Colonnade. And while the ship was full there were always tables to be selected across the dining venues.

Chef Curt in the MDR delivered fabulous meals and a lot of choice.

We had not been on a summer Med cruise since the Odyssey was launched and were very impressed with the mix of passengers and activities offered

by Cruise Director David E for those who stayed on board and at evenings. There were about 10 children on board and no babies. All were extremely well behaved and there were 2 young attendants who held clubs for them in the card room.

About the question of the MDR for breakfast and lunch, no, it was not open. And it made no difference to me and I accept readily that it makes no sense to open it for what- the 10 to 15 people who might venture there. I would not have considered being down there when the Colonnade was open and the Patio was open for lunch. It was always a pleasure to be outside and mix with the staff and other passengers, who I might add, were a relatively younger group of people than I have seen on longer cruises during other seasons. A good number were first timers and some ordered room service breakfasts.

Happy sailing!

Same cruise and new to Seabourn, Fudge?

Here is my prediction for you... You will love the Rock the Boat party mid-cruise and the penultimate evening's pre-dinner Epicurean Event on Odyssey. Guaranteed!

And a smoother, more professional and charming set of officers and staff you won't meet on another ship, all Ds: Capt Dexter, Hotel Mgr Daniel, Cruise Dir David E, F&B Mgr Daciano, Bar Mgr Daniela and Cruise Sales (where you will be placing a deposit down for a future cruise and get a 5% discount for it) Deborah. This is one happy ship.

Happy sailing!

Markham,

We were on this cruise. i agree in most cases with you however, i was disappointed there was no entertainment unless you went to the show.

Only the rock the boat,which was excellent and the dancing on the final night,which to be honest i thought was ill planned, if you were travelling early the following day.

We though the food on the whole was good, but far from the best we have had on Seabourn. Colannade was great at lunch, but the chef seemed to overcook every egg at breakfast! Many breakfast items of the past were missing, no soft fruits or almond croissants etc. restaurant 2 however, was our worst onboard dining experience, never tried it before. We now know why it is being discontinued and replaced by Thomas Keller! Aside from that pretty similar to many summer time med cruises of the past.

Entertainment?

Didn't you go to the Club and Observation Bar where there were musicians? We liked the pianist in the Observation Bar and were there almost every evening at 18:00 or so. What about the sailaways where the band played? And then there were the deck sports such as shuffleboard and the Marina Day at our first port.

About R2, well, we haven't been in a couple of years and I am pleased with the idea of the new specialty restaurant. I wish two things for it: a new decor and a fairer reservations policy as there was on the small ships whereby you can book today for today or tomorrow but not on boarding for the whole cruise and then cancel or not show- as this restricts others who are not so shrewd.

Happy sailing!

Thank you for your observations, we have only previously sailed with Silversea so this will be a new experience for us.

We have had correspondence from a couple of people from this board offering tips, that was a nice gesture, thank you to those who mailed.

Does anyone know how to check how full the cruise is? I could not find it on the Seabourn web site, thank you in anticipation.

Entertainment?

Didn't you go to the Club and Observation Bar where there were musicians? We liked the pianist in the Observation Bar and were there almost every evening at 18:00 or so. What about the sailaways where the band played? And then there were the deck sports such as shuffleboard and the Marina Day at our first port.

About R2, well, we haven't been in a couple of years and I am pleased with the idea of the new specialty restaurant. I wish two things for it: a new decor and a fairer reservations policy as there was on the small ships whereby you can book today for today or tomorrow but not on boarding for the whole cruise and then cancel or not show- as this restricts others who are not so shrewd.

Happy sailing!

We went to either bar every night, music was on early before dinner, but the guitarist had to stop playing at 9pm every night because of noise affecting the show, and there was no pianist after dinner either. So we felt it was a case of either going to the show or sitting in a bar with no entertainment. We felt it would have been better organised to have had an after dinner music option as well. The guitarist from the club could have easily been placed in the observation bar to give people another option. The shows were repetitive, two magic shows in the space of 4 days etc.

Personally, when the weather is nice I prefer lunch outside at the Colonnade. BUT even if only fifteen or twenty people want to eat in the MDR they should open it. Luxury is about options. Those twenty people who prefer a quiet and subdued atmosphere should be accommodated. I understand it takes staff to man the MDR but that's no excuse for removing what some consider important.

Wripro, I mostly love SB....but this prevailing philosophy that it is okay to remove 'things' [such as lunch in MDR and entertainment in Club at 9pm] that is of some concern. Many folks don't care to go to shows but love to relax and chat in the Club....after an earlier relaxing lunch in the MDR, of course!

Have just got home from Sojourn , we had breakfast everyday in the Colonade

and would walk through the restaurant on the way back to our room . There were a few people in the restaurant every day having breakfast ( 2 to 6 max).

It obviously is open for breakfast but virtually deserted.

When the ship is in port I rarely go back to the ship for lunch, preferring to stay and sample the local fare. Several cruises ago, We did go to the MDR for lunch and it was deserted and lunch took forever. Would rather eat on the patio.

Scottish, sorry about your disappointment but just because there was a buffet it did not mean you had to serve yourself. All you had to do was ask your waiter what was available and they would have been more than happy to bring it to your table.

Thanks for the advice Chairsin, but to me it's just not the same. I want to sit at a table, read a menu and place an order. I don't mind a buffet from time to time but - IMHO - a luxury line such as Seabourn should offer restaurant-style service for all meals. Interestingly, their printed brochure suggests that the MDR is open for all meals, and I did point this out on the post-cruise survey.

Apart from this gripe (and the much-discussed issue of smoking) I loved everything else about Seabourn! For me the perfect cruise line would comprise Crystal's amenities (promenade deck, cinema, larger ship = more facilities), Seabourn's cabins and service style and lastly, Silversea's restaurant opening hours (breakfast lunch AND dinner!).

Scottish,

I really do understand that you do not enjoy lunch in the Colonade. All I was trying to do was to make it clear to those who have yet to sail on Seabourn that it is not just a buffet but that you have a choice. For those looking to dine more quickly or who like looking at the different options the buffet suits their needs. For those who do not want to dine quickly or carry their own food to their table they can order from a menu and the selections detailed by the waiter.

PaulaJK,

I agree.

My personal preferences for having lunch while in port are as follows:

1. Off the ship in a local restaurant

2. Colonnade (outside weather permitting)

3. The MDR

But the choice should be mine, not Seabourn's.

Fudge,

The cruise port is called Salipazari and is only a couple of hundred meters away from the former cruise port. We had arrived in Istanbul a couple of days before the cruise and walked the area to see its changes since our last visit a few years ago. There was no issue recognizing where to go as there were a couple of those behemoth Princess and Celebrity ships and the former lil' old Seabourn Pride dis/embarking the day before we joined the magnificent Odyssey.

You will have no difficulty with the name and destination. When your car arrives at the port area you will be waived through a barrier. There we emptied the car of luggage, took it a very short way to the right where the luggage tags were checked and then left for further handling. We then walked to the port building itself for the checkin where we filled in the contagious disease forms, a queue and then checked in after noon at one of the ten terminals. With your credit card, the disease and e-ticket forms signed, your photos will be taken- this took a few minutes- and you will then have immigration and handing over to Seabourn staff your passports. Then you board to ship for a delicious Colonnade lunch. And you will bless your stars you are not on Princess or Celebrity.

Happy sailing!

Follow markhams response and you can't go wrong. We did exactly as Markham did but was so easy in the end. From the old town, we could see the Odyssey across the water and said to the taxi driver, go there. As it turned out, there is a port sign where you turn into the port. A bit daunting but in hindsight, very easy to find.

Thank you for your detailed replies.

Our first Seabourn adventure, so excited only 21 days to go, no suite yet but I feel sure we will not be disappointed, who knows we could be hooked for ever? :)

We are leaving tomorrow for a few days in Italy, followed by a 21 day med cruise. New will be disappointed if the MDR is closed every day for lunch, so I suppose either lunch in port or room service on our deck. Just not big on buffets as work really hard all year and want to relax! Disappointing, but I am sure we will have a great time regardless! But I agree with the previous post, it should be our choice not seabourn's.....

keji - while I agree that the dining room should be open for all meals, when it is open for breakfast and lunch it is so empty that the atmosphere is very lacking.

It has been said many times before that you do not have to use the buffet for lunch in the Colonnade if you wish to be served. From our experience, if you want a really leisurely lunch there it is good to go early, at noon, when you can find a quiet table for 2 or 4 or whatever, especially outdoors in the summer - we love it. Then, someone will serve you a glass of wine, and you have no need to order food until you are ready. We personally actually enjoy going to the cold buffet for our first course, to choose small helpings of favourite salads etc. I am not saying it is the same as being in the dining room, but we personally prefer being outdoors, with the view, in the shade, in hot weather. And when tempura prawns and veg. are on offer, usually once per cruise, oh boy!