Local Charities for Hurricane Relief

Tommy3putts

We are fortunate to be visiting Havana on September 25th (Empress of the Seas). In addition to make obligatory donations for beer, rum and cigars, I'd like to find a local, non-government affiliated charity to make a monetary contribution for relief efforts. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Cheers

Tom

We are fortunate to be visiting Havana on September 25th (Empress of the Seas). In addition to make obligatory donations for beer, rum and cigars, I'd like to find a local, non-government affiliated charity to make a monetary contribution for relief efforts. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Cheers

Tom

Seems to me there are more than enough good charities here in this country to donate too. We have many areas that are a lot worse than Cuba that needs help. Lets do that first.

Seems to me there are more than enough good charities here in this country to donate too. We have many areas that are a lot worse than Cuba that needs help. Lets do that first.

Yes we do. We've contributed quite a lot. Especially to JJ Watts efforts. I'm looking to help our Cuban neighbors.

Thanks for your helpful advice....and lecture.

Yes we do. We've contributed quite a lot. Especially to JJ Watts efforts. I'm looking to help our Cuban neighbors.

Thanks for your helpful advice....and lecture.

Not trying to lecture, just pointing out that there are so many people in need here. Looking to help our neighbors as much as we can.

Tom,

I'm in agreement with your views. We've too done much to help our fellow Americans and now that my wife and I are headed to Cuba this Monday on the Sky, we would like to help our hosts in Cuba that are suffering as well. Fells like the right thing to do. We heard back from our tour guide in Havana earlier this morning after we had asked what we could do or bring with us and his reply was the following,

Clothing, toothbrushes & toothpaste, shoes, cell phones and any type items we would no longer use. Nothing about money or specific charity, but we'll asked and post after we return. Hope that will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

my specific question posed here relates to also helping our Cuban neighbors. That's what "people-to-people" is all about.

Tommy:

Catholic Relief Services - you can earmark it for Cuba. The people at Tour Republic mentioned that the Catholic Church in Cuba was doing a lot (if not all) of the relief work there.

Tommy:

Catholic Relief Services - you can earmark it for Cuba. The people at Tour Republic mentioned that the Catholic Church in Cuba was doing a lot (if not all) of the relief work there.

Thank you. This sounds like an interesting option.

I have a friend who is active in th Catholic Church I'll check with him.

Cheers

Tom

Tom,

I'm in agreement with your views. We've too done much to help our fellow Americans and now that my wife and I are headed to Cuba this Monday on the Sky, we would like to help our hosts in Cuba that are suffering as well. Fells like the right thing to do. We heard back from our tour guide in Havana earlier this morning after we had asked what we could do or bring with us and his reply was the following,

Clothing, toothbrushes & toothpaste, shoes, cell phones and any type items we would no longer use. Nothing about money or specific charity, but we'll asked and post after we return. Hope that will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are a lot of people VERY interested in hearing about the conditions you find in Cuba, the experience you have with a tour there this soon after the storm, and how we as visitors can help with the recovery. I look forward to hearing about your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are a lot of people VERY interested in hearing about the conditions you find in Cuba, the experience you have with a tour there this soon after the storm, and how we as visitors can help with the recovery. I look forward to hearing about your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It looks like Maria is going to cooperate and our Monday September 25th visit will go on as planned. I'll report back here when we return.

Cheers

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

All had a great cruise. Havana was open for business. I look forward to returning someday. We had a beautiful yet “steamy” morning, but rainy afternoon. Never really found a worthy place to drop off some extra cash (other than for cigars [emoji12]).

I’ll post a review on the RCI forum in a day or two

All had a great cruise. Havana was open for business. I look forward to returning someday. We had a beautiful yet “steamy” morning, but rainy afternoon. Never really found a worthy place to drop off some extra cash (other than for cigars [emoji12]).

I’ll post a review on the RCI forum in a day or two

Glad you had a great cruise. Now we need to send all the money we can to Puerto Rico. They really need all the help that they can get and more.