Dress Code for new OASIS - Dec. 12 - "formals"

Do the men have to wear jackets or just a nice dress shirt and slacks?

Carnival is more relaxed with "formal" night. Is RCL? And on the new OASIS?

Also, how many formal nights on the Dec. 12, 2009 - 7 night Caribbean cruise?

Thanks, and only 26 more days!!!!!!!! We can't wait!!!!!

Living in Paradise

(Naples, FL)

__________________________________________________ ___________

NCL Pride of America - Hawaii - Sept. 11, 2010

RCL Jewel of the Seas – Panama & Exotic Caribbean – April 16, 2010

RCL OASIS of the Seas – Caribbean - Dec. 12, 2009

Carnival Dream – Inaugural – 12-day Grand Mediterranean – Sept. 21, 2009

Carnival Destiny – Caribbean – November 2008

Carnival Fascination – Caribbean – April 2008

Home Lines – “Doric” – Bermuda – 1974

Americanis – NY Cruise to Nowhere - 1986

(this Count-down clock is all messed up. It froze and we're trying to fix it.

Obviously, we didn't sail yet - will sail Dec. 12, 2009!)

countdown.pl?name=Living in Paradise!&date=1-1-2009&image=Beach-8&text=We

From recent posts here I am seem to think RCI has become very informal in its approach to any sort of "dress code" and that just about anything, at any time, is acceptable. I suspect that "formal" attire - as well as the formal evenings - will be a thing of the past on most mainstream cruise lines in the near future. Everything now seems to be some sort of "country club" casual which translates into pretty much just being dressed in something other than a swimsuit.

From recent posts here I am seem to think RCI has become very informal in its approach to any sort of "dress code" and that just about anything, at any time, is acceptable. I suspect that "formal" attire - as well as the formal evenings - will be a thing of the past on most mainstream cruise lines in the near future. Everything now seems to be some sort of "country club" casual which translates into pretty much just being dressed in something other than a swimsuit.

Pity.

They should just get rid of the MDR, and make Windjammer bigger.

It will cut down on staff and tips.

Who needs to feel special on a cruise anyway.

RCI is NOT Carnival...We would like to keep it that way.

Do what is right...follow the dress code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq

You won't be wrong. Why else would RCI post this on their web site? If they wanted every night to be casual, they would not take the time to post a dress code with formal/smart casual/casual attire.

RCI is NOT Carnival...We would like to keep it that way.

Do what is right...follow the dress code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq

You won't be wrong. Why else would RCI post this on their web site? If they wanted every night to be casual, they would not take the time to post a dress code with formal/smart casual/casual attire.

To be read as "RCI is NOT Carnival...I would like to keep it that way." Not everyone agrees, in so far as formal nights are concerned.

To be read as "RCI is NOT Carnival...I would like to keep it that way." Not everyone agrees, in so far as formal nights are concerned.

Soon you will be able to eat in your swim suit.

Eating next to the guy who just came back from horse back riding,

smelling like a horse.

Like I said, who needs to feel special?

God forbid you have to clean up, and look nice to eat.

Few topics are more polarizing than Formal Nights on cruise ships. Some people hate them while others enjoy them. What I have found is that by and large women overwhelmingly love to play dress up while the guys, if left on their own wouldn't go near a suit and tie for dinner. I believe only NCL with their "Free Style" cruises, has pretty much discontinued suggesting any kind of dining attire.

I would love to dress up for formal nights, but we are trying to pack as lightly as possible (all in our party have bad backs/knees/etc.), & the bulk/weight of dress SHOES seem to be the issue for men, plus the extra jacket/pants that can otherwise be left behind. We are thinking of shipping our luggage, & that makes it even worse (the cost is based on weight & # of suitcases). Hmmm, will have to think on this one some more...:confused:

Read RC guidelines and decide for yourself. But most people were dressed very smart with jackets when we cruised with RC, but as long as you are dressed smart, no-one will say anything.

The best answer on this post. Folks, it is the responsibility of the cruise line to monitor what others wear to the dining room. Worry about yourself and let other do the same. To the OP, have a great cruise. Hopefully they will put this thread out of it's misery before long as your question has been answered.:)

For men, throw a blue blazer (which most men have as a staple) into the suitcase and there you go. A pair of khaki pants and dockers for the feet and off our go to dinner. Dressed! It always seemed so crazy to me to get dressed in a suit for hot weather cruises, like the Caribbean. Living here in Florida with year round summer you very rarely see suits, or even jackets for that matter. Cold weather cruises - okay, let's do formal, but hot weather, I think a jacket and no tie is fine for most men. IMHO.

WOW, I didn't realize that cannabalism would be introduced on RCL.

That surely would be the most progressive dining option on any cruise ship sailing today.

I see that someone here at least has a sense of humor like that of a certain doctor aquaintance of mine.

Fascinating. And refreshing.

Archived