tendering at destination

dalliowner

Yes, I have but not on Seabourn. The luggage was taken in a barge type ship separate from the passengers. I watched the local crew standing on the suitcases and was glad we had taken our oldest, very sturdy suitcase on this cruise. On the land portion of this trip, the same suitcase was transported in two different canoes in the Amazon jungle. Its two wheels do not stick out like they do on our present, top of the line and light weight four wheelers.

Tendering in small ports is a frequent occurrence. Something experienced on most Seabourn cruises at some point. Unless the ship is anchored a long way from the harbour it's not an issue with usually at least 2 tenders running every 10-15 minutes. Usually mean you disembark in the centre of the town, or at least close to facilities etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have used the tender many times but never when boarding for the first time or when disembarking at the end of a cruise. Trying to get 450 people and all the luggage ashore by tender is not going to be easy. Has anybody on a Seabourn ship ever done this?

Seabourn have now confirmed to me that Male will be a tender port. This means for the first time that disembarking passengers luggage will be taken by barge to the port and the passengers will have to go ashore by tender. I have no idea how long that will take as most passengers will have hand luggage with them so I have no idea how many each tender will be able to hold. So do not book and early flight.

It also means the reverse for any one joining the cruise at this port

I have used the tender many times but never when boarding for the first time or when disembarking at the end of a cruise. Trying to get 450 people and all the luggage ashore by tender is not going to be easy. Has anybody on a Seabourn ship ever done this?

Well, it won't be 450 people's luggage. This is only the first leg of a journey. Seabourn is currently selling this as one segment of this longer 93 day cruise. I am sure later on they will add in some of the cruises that would start in Male

20-DAY AFRICAN NIGHTS & INDIAN OCEAN ISLES

36 NIGHT INDIAN OCEAN EXPLORATION CRUISE

54-DAY INDIAN OCEAN & ASIA EXPLORATION

72-DAY AFRICA & ASIA EXPLORATION

93-DAY GRAND OCEANS EXPLORATION

Some others may remember that when the little sisters sailed from London the ship tied up by the HMS Belfast but we boarded "tenders" by Tower of London to cross the river. It was interesting to watch other open boats loaded high with luggage cross as well. But all worked out -- we, our hand luggage and large luggage all made it across.

Sent from my iPad using Forums