Riviera- Dec. 12-22 Stop in Key West and help the relief effort

maccrate

The last stop on this cruise, before heading back to Miami, is Key West.

My question is, would Oceania consider offering a special excursion, which they sponsor, for any of us on this cruise to volunteer to go ashore for the day and help with some relief effort to help the people of Key West rebuild after Irma.

I don't know who to ask within Oceania, but was looking for fellow cruisers to support this idea.

Nice thought but probably not practical.

IF all is in place by then - not needed. Volunteers for relief efforts need to be there for considerably more than the few hours you might have in port. Most likely IF you dock in Key West in December the best thing you can do for the local community is to spend a LOT of money while there...

Nice thought but probably not practical.

IF all is in place by then - not needed. Volunteers for relief efforts need to be there for considerably more than the few hours you might have in port. Most likely IF you dock in Key West in December the best thing you can do for the local community is to spend a LOT of money while there...

Agree 100%

if you want to help sign up for one of the volunteer groups that will be sending people to some of these areas to help with the rebuilding

or donate to an organization that actually helps these people with supplies etc...

Habitat for Humanity or maybe your local charity or church have supplies heading to some of these islands

The last stop on this cruise, before heading back to Miami, is Key West.

My question is, would Oceania consider offering a special excursion, which they sponsor, for any of us on this cruise to volunteer to go ashore for the day and help with some relief effort to help the people of Key West rebuild after Irma.

I don't know who to ask within Oceania, but was looking for fellow cruisers to support this idea.

I love your idea. Go to Oceania's website, home page, bottom to find Customer Support and make the suggestion. If enough people speak up, maybe something creative can be put together. If Carnival can be all about volunteer efforts on their Fathom cruises for Cuba and Dominican Republic, others can step up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

If Carnival can be all about volunteer efforts on their Fathom cruises for Cuba and Dominican Republic, others can step up.

I do not think Fathom had any volunteer projects in Cuba & not sure how well the whole concept went over

They are no longer doing those cruises so it may not have been lucrative

just saying

I do not think Fathom had any volunteer projects in Cuba & not sure how well the whole concept went over

just saying

And do what in 4 or 5 hours? No project could be completed on that time. Just playing with yourself. Nothing real could be done.

just saying

I hadn't heard Fathom was discontinued, but read they hope to continue the effort as individual shore excursions. Less ambitious but maybe more realistic. Certainly small projects can be accomplished in 4-6 hours, whether it be painting walls or shelves or organizing supplies at a preschool, or whatever. Cruise line reps just need to coordinate with local agencies.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Cancel the reservation. Donate the amount of the refund to a relief fund. Volunteer to work for the number of days that would have been spent on the cruise.

agree

Lots of organizations looking for people to help rebuild those homes & communities

Another option is to contact some church or volunteer group in the area & let them know what day you will be there & see if they can use your help

Edited by LHT28

Here is another option. It's not only the people who have been victims of such horrible devastation that need help. The wonderful people who are living under the same conditions as the victims they serve need support as well. Those people are the first responders. They need food.

Check out Operation BBQ Relief. They provide food for victims of disasters as well as for those who are working to help them.

Please consider supporting them.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

Just jumping in here......I am sad to see so many thousands of people affected by the hurricanes that have left behind so much damage. Bless those that are able to assist those in need. I am hopeful that the locals whose virtual existence relies on tourism, can rebound quickly.

My husband and I are in our 70's and have had reservations to travel on the Riviera (for the first time) to the eastern Carribean in early February, 2018. I can't seem to find any information of Oceania itinerary changes as I have for other cruise lines. Can anyone help? Our balance isn't due until next month and if the itinerary changes dramatically.....well, we'd just like to know. Thank you!

My husband and I are in our 70's and have had reservations to travel on the Riviera (for the first time) to the eastern Carribean in early February, 2018. I can't seem to find any information of Oceania itinerary changes as I have for other cruise lines. Can anyone help? Our balance isn't due until next month and if the itinerary changes dramatically.....well, we'd just like to know. Thank you!

Were the ports on your cruise damaged ?

I am sure most cruise lines will be adjusting itineraries as the Islands are accessed for tourist readiness

We are on a Dec cruise with several of our stops heavily damaged ..we are not expecting to stop at those Islands but if they manage to be repaired & up & running by the time of our cruise great if not ..oh well

I am sure Oceania & other lines are waiting to see what the damages to the Islands are & if they will be able to port there

Time will tell

If stopping at the ports you booked the cruise for cancel while you are not in penalty stage

JMO

Cancel the reservation. Donate the amount of the refund to a relief fund. Volunteer to work for the number of days that would have been spent on the cruise.[What are you smoking? Would never happen. Get real. :(:(:(

this