Get your flu shot!

Mommypig

Not wanting to alarm folk here but another bug that can (and does) affect adults is Pertussis (whooping cough.) Fortunately it, too, can be vaccinated against. I had it a few years back and it was one of the most difficult bugs to get rid of. I don't feel my lungs have ever recovered fully from it. Your childhood vaccine will not protect you now.

Had a combo whooping cough/tetanus at my doctors office last month. I'm ready!

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams)

That's the craziest thing I have ever heard of........the Flu will make your muscles hurt more than any shot discomfort. Plus, I work in an ER in Arizona and we have had 2 cases of confirmed Flu already this season. IT'S HERE!

She said there was body-wide muscle pain expected from this shot. It wouldn't be effective while we were on the ship, so why risk it? She has impeccable credentials, BTW.

She said there was body-wide muscle pain expected from this shot. It wouldn't be effective while we were on the ship, so why risk it? She has impeccable credentials, BTW.

We both recently had the extra dose version and neither of us had "body-wide muscle pain" although one of us had soreness in the immediate area of the injection.

DW and I both got our flu shots last week. Zero pain, even at the site. Previous shots had a little bit of soreness at the site but this year's shots, nothing.

in late August...I wanted it before the school I work at reopened..NEVER used to get the flu shot but have done so for the last 6 years or so..I do have autoimmune stuff going on....but feel it is worth the prevention potential of a way worse illness....no side effects...

Bernadette

Love following my friend Deb - I got one last Wednesday at Walgreens and for the first time my arm hurt so much it woke me up during the night! All was well in a day or two. Still happy to have had it. Karen

I work in a health care facility ,our flu shots are given by our employee health nurse. Sherry RN BSN has since left for greener pastures but was wonderful at giving shots and advice :)

Sherry always did some kind of Preasure point move on the muscle before the shot ,you barely felt the shot. We were advised to move that arm freely during the day of the shot, cut way down on soreness. I still do the rolling arm move she taught me and still have very little soreness.

Hug a nurse they are good people :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Last year, we traveled on the Grand to Alaska the week after Labor day. Usually get my shot in October. Came home with a souvenir I hadn't planned on bringing home. The second confirmed case in our area of flu. Was laid up for 3 weeks. (First time I ever had had fly, I guess.) Knocked me out! Also got my shot once I was deemed fit enough to get one.

This year, got it about ten days ago. No fuss, no pain! Now need to go get shingles vaccination. (I have reached the golden age where they will give it to me!) They said to wait about a week after the flu shot to get this one.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING! THIS WAS MY MANTRA LAST FALL TO ALL!

I also now travel with masks. I will no longer let folks cough there germs on me as I travel and try to have fun!

Stay safe, be prepared!

The idea of masks, at least throughout Asia where the practise began, is that when you have a cold, you wear a mask to stop others getting your bugs. And that was the practise in Australia a few years ago when swine flu was around.

The idea of masks, at least throughout Asia where the practise began, is that when you have a cold, you wear a mask to stop others getting your bugs. And that was the practise in Australia a few years ago when swine flu was around.

In much of Asia today I think the use of masks is an attempt to keep particles in polluted air from getting into your body.

If it is to protect others from an illness one has, then the number of masks out on the streets on pedestrians any bicycle riders indicates that a large number of people are ill.

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/05/china-declares-war-against-pollution/

Thanks for the reminder, Mommypig, for those of us who can, to get their flu shots. DH and I will go this week to get over any side effects and be as protected as possible before our upcoming Pacific Coastal cruise in November.

I had influenza in the 1970's and was never so sick in my life. I worked as a nurse in a hospital and so many staff called in sick we were required to go into the clinic and get a doctor's note verifying the illness. There we all sat (or laid out on the chairs in the waiting room) with our high fevers, extreme muscle aches and coughing waiting to see the doctor (poor doctor).

I get a flu shot every year now and thankfully have never been sick with the flu again.

Kathy

• 1 year later...

4 of us (2 couples) just returned from W Carribbean on the Celebrity Silhouette. We are VERY careful. I take isopropyl alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide and wipe down everything in the cabin on arrival. We all carry hand sanitizers and wet ones and use them religiously. Three of the 4 got the flu shot this year. We all came down with a vicious flu bug resulting in sinus infections and severe bronchitis. It started on the 3rd and 4th day of the cruise. Not real sick at the beginning (scratchy throat, a little sore, little runny nose) by the time we got home - BOOM. Still suffering from it. That was the Feb. 19th - 26th sailing. Wondering if anyone else got sick on that same cruise.

4 of us (2 couples) just returned from W Carribbean on the Celebrity Silhouette. We are VERY careful. I take isopropyl alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide and wipe down everything in the cabin on arrival. We all carry hand sanitizers and wet ones and use them religiously. Three of the 4 got the flu shot this year. We all came down with a vicious flu bug resulting in sinus infections and severe bronchitis. It started on the 3rd and 4th day of the cruise. Not real sick at the beginning (scratchy throat, a little sore, little runny nose) by the time we got home - BOOM. Still suffering from it. That was the Feb. 19th - 26th sailing. Wondering if anyone else got sick on that same cruise.

Sorry you all got sick in spite of your precautions. All it takes is one uncovered sneeze to cover your group and everyone's toast.

First of all, it's great that most of you got the flu shot. Unfortunately, the health organization that creates the shot has to take an educated guess at what will be the prevalent strain(s) of flu virus for the next flu season. They don't always get it right and of course, your group may not have caught the strain(s) for which the shot was intended.

Another factor is that while generally effective, they are not 100% guaranteed to keep you from getting the flu. More like 60-80% IIRC. Regardless, more people getting flu shots will eventually increase herd immunity and help everyone.

Finally, are you sure you caught a flu? Often times a common cold or bacterial infection is mistakenly called the flu.

My point of posting was to inquire if others on that cruise had gotten sick.

The doctor that we saw when we returned said it was the flu. So, I'm going by what he said.

2 of the 4 of us are in healthcare and know about how the flu shots are an educated guess. It's always a crap shoot and ships are a little like day care facilities - great big petri dishes !

Of course, you always hear some coughing and sneezing in crowded facilities, just never know why. Allergies?? I'm not blaming the ship, they take great care to keep everything as clean as possible. Apparently, some of the coughing & sneezing was a problem, even tho we stayed clear as much as possible.

The doctor that we saw when we returned said it was the flu. So, I'm going by what he said.

2 of the 4 of us are in healthcare and know about how the flu shots are an educated guess. It's always a crap shoot and ships are a little like day care facilities - great big petri dishes !

Of course, you always hear some coughing and sneezing in crowded facilities, just never know why. Allergies?? I'm not blaming the ship, they take great care to keep everything as clean as possible. Apparently, some of the coughing & sneezing was a problem, even tho we stayed clear as much as possible.

Seeing as this was a Princess Cruise thread, it's not likely (or less likely) that anyone posting here would have been on your cruise?

Locate the roll call for that cruise and post the question there. It is possible some of the people on the roll call are still looking at posts there.

I don't get this - why did TenneSea respond to a thread from 2015?

The probable answer to this question is so as to not start a new thread on the same topic, but I'm just guessing.

However, I think the better question is why post this on the Princess boards? It seems it would have been more appropriate on the Celebrity boards.